- Translate documents, including legal drafts and knowledge products from Amharic to Afar;
- Serve as an interpreter at seminars, speeches, meetings, teleconferences, and symposia, providing consecutive or simultaneous translation between languages;
- Receive briefing or prepares through reading and study on the subject to be discussed prior to interpreting session;
- compile information, such as technical terms used in legal settings, into glossaries and terminology databases to be used in translations;
- Check translation of technical terms and terminology to ensure that they are accurate and remain consistent throughout translation revisions;
- Proofread, edit, and revise translated materials
- Read written materials such as legal documents, scientific works, or news reports, and rewrite material into specified languages;
- Relay the style and tone of the original language;
- Refer to reference materials such as dictionaries, lexicons, encyclopedias, and computerized terminology banks as needed to ensure translation accuracy.
- Identify and resolve conflicts related to the meanings of words, concepts, practices, or behaviors;
- Provide translation of modifications/changes/comments made by international advisors or national, consultants/counterparts in various reports, legislation, advocacy and information materials, documents of meetings, of the Project Steering Committee and Technical Working Group, correspondence to the government, national/international counterparts, and vice versa;
- Provide simultaneous/consecutive interpretation services during steering committee meetings, technical working group meetings, conferences, official missions, workshops, meetings between the international advisors and national consultants, as well as national counterparts;
- Perform other tasks assigned by the supervisor.
Required qualifications, Competencies & Skills training, and experience
- MA in Linguistics, Communications and Journalism and Related fields, BA in Afar Literature and related fields.
- MA 4 years of translation and interpretation experience, BA 6 years of Translation Experience
· Ability to remain highly organized while handling multiple tasks under tight deadlines
- Excellent written and oral communication and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to write, speak, listen, and reading Afar language is mandatory
- Excellent interpersonal skills, technical writing skills
- Good sense of time management and IT skills
- Proven ability to negotiate and to troubleshoot relationships with a variety of stakeholders;
- Ability to adapt quickly to new work environments, to establish and maintain good working relations with individuals of different backgrounds, and to work under pressure;
- Fluency in work processing, spreadsheets, project management, and internet technology.
- Not be a member of any political party
- Willingness to adhere to all principles of confidentiality
- Must value operating in a collaborative and cooperative environment
- Ability to show initiative, good judgment, and resourcefulness
- Conduct self with integrity and function ethical
- The ability to remain highly organized while handling multiple tasks under tight deadlines
How to Apply
How to Apply
Qualified applicants can submit their application letter along with an updated CV with three professional references, copies of education credentials, and work experience via email to [email protected] by stating the position you are applying for on the subject email. The application may also be submitted in person to our office located on Bole Road, behind DH Geda Tower Addis Ababa from 8:30 am to 5:30 pm, Monday to Friday, and half a day on Saturdays.
Application Deadline: December 22, 2020
For more information and a detailed Job description, please visit our job portal at http://www.abhpartners.com/vacancy-announcement-list or http://www.ethiojobs.com
Qualified candidates who fulfill the criteria will be hired only following the approval and endorsement by NEBE.
Female applicants are highly encouraged to apply.