Consultants for Project Concept note Assessment for the Civil Society Support Programme Phase (CSSP) 2, Ethiopia
The Civil Society Support Programme (CSSP) 2 is a government engagement and capacity development programme designed to support Ethiopia’s civil society and its contribution to the country’s national development, poverty reduction and advancement of good governance in line with the government’s policies and strategies. The programme, which manages a fund of more than £9 million, has a strong emphasis on civil society and citizens, using regionally-led programming. It is comprised of a consortium led by the British Council and is supported by multiple donors led by DFID. CSSP2 is delivered through a ‘central business unit’ in Addis Ababa, and has four ‘regional hubs’ throughout the country.
CSSP2 is an adaptive and flexible programme operating in a progressing and evolving context: socially and politically, and for the Ethiopian civil society sector in particular. With recent developments in the country including the approval for the revised CSO law, CSSP2 is in a unique position of opportunity to adapt programming in response to the changes in the context, and advance in an innovative direction.
The British Council would like to contract consultants to undertake assessment of project concept notes submitted by Civil Society Organization (CSOs) in response to a strategic grant call by the programme. The Three Strategic Themes of CSSP2 with focus areas under each Theme for targeted intervention are illustrated in the table below.
1. Gender Transformation
· Gender based violence
· Women Land rights
· Women Political participation
2. Young People
· Substance abuse amongst the youth
· Youth voice
· Decent work
3. Citizen-State Engagement
· Social minorities inclusion
· Stronger, better CSOs
· Trust and confidence
Required qualification : Candidates fulfilling the following minimum requirements will be taken into consideration:
- Master’s degree/First degree in social sciences, project management or other disciplines relevant to the assignment;
- at least 6 years of relevant professional experience;
- demonstrated experience in sectors such as civil society, engagement and advocacy, promotion of rights, good governance and sustainable livelihoods;
- demonstrated knowledge of activities of different categories of civil society organizations and their engagement with diverse groups of people in Ethiopia;
- specific experience in projects design, proposals assessment and/or post-implementation review and evaluation in programs of support to civil society;
- Experience on rights-based approach has an added advantage;
- fluency in speaking, reading and writing in English (assessors will evaluate Concept Notes written in English and prepare their assessment in English)
- In-depth expertise and knowledge of the CSSP2 Strategic Themes covered by the Call for Concept Notes (Gender, Young people and State-Citizen Engagement).
- Good analytical skills
Benefits package : Daily consultancy fee rates dependent on experience and/ or qualifications.
Duration and Availability
: duration depends on the number of an application under each strategic theme. The consultants should be available for the task from
of August 2019
How to Apply
Interested individual candidates are requested to submit all of the following requirements in a sealed envelope to be considered.
(1) Letter of Interest, CV, Copies of diplomas, certificates and references that may be requested before the contracting.
(2) Evidence of experience in undertaking similar assignment from funding agencies/donors.
(3) Cost per project Concept Note assessment in Birr inclusive of all taxes.
You can submit your proposal to email@example.com (with Memekiya.Woldegerima@et.britishcouncil.org & Jebessa.Senbeta2@et.britishcouncil.org in cc). The email subject should be clearly indicated as the Title [‘Consultants for assessment of project concept notes’] or in a sealed envelope to CSSP2 Office located at Bole, Addis Ababa next to Ethiopian Skylight Hotel, 6th floor on the SEVITA Building during working hours.The terms of reference and submission instructions can be accessed from the link below: https://ethiopia.britishcouncil.org/programmes/society/civil-society-support-programme/consultants-project-concept-note-assessment-cssp2