Job ID: 32313
Practice Area – Job Family: Women’s Empowerment
Vacancy End Date: (Midnight New York, USA) 04/09/2020
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Education & Work Experience: C-HS Graduate or Equivalent – 6 year(s) experience, G-Bachelor’s Level Degree – 3 year(s) experience
Vacancy Type: FTA Local
Posting Type: External
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension
UNDPs core vision is to help countries achieve simultaneous eradication of poverty and significant reduction of inequalities and exclusion. Addressing gender equality and women’s empowerment is a key aspect of UNDPs approach to achieving its core vision. In the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and in UNDP’s Strategic Plan, gender equality is both a goal and an essential catalyst to progress across all development outcomes. The UNDP Gender Equality Strategy 2018-2021, the third such strategy, provides a road map to elevate and integrate gender equality into all aspects of UNDP’s work to reduce poverty, build resilience and achieve peace in communities and territories, helping to accelerate progress towards the 2030 Agenda.
With the generous funding of the Government of Canada, UNDP-RSCA has launched a four year (2020-2024) Regional Project on Advancing Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment in Africa. The project aims to enhance the capacity of the Regional Economic Communities (RECs) and other regional partners (CSO’s) to have enhanced evidence-based knowledge and capacity to advocate and support their Member States to fulfil their gender equality and women’s empowerment commitments in the realization of Agenda 2063. This will be achieved through working on four intermediate outcomes focusing on: Strengthened institutional capacity of RECs to monitor and advocate for gender equality and women’s empowerment within their institution and with their Member States; (ii) Strengthened engagement of RECs and CSO’s with Member States to help them promote women’s leadership and participation in governance and peacebuilding; (iii) Improved capacity of RECs to monitor and influence their Member States on the ratification, domestication and implementation of regional and global instruments on women’s rights and gender equality; and (iv) Strengthened engagement of RECs and CSOs with their Member States to help them advocate for women’s economic empowerment.
UNDP is hiring a Finance and Administrative Assistant to be based at the UNDP-Regional Service Centre for Africa in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Under the direct supervision of the Project Management Specialist and under the overall supervision of the Team Leader, the Finance and Administrative Assistant will among others be responsible for providing the following tasks.
Duties and Responsibilities
Provides administrative and financial support to the Regional Project:
- Review donor financial reports and forecasts (workplans) for consideration by Project Management Specialist and Team Leader;
- Provide day-to-day financial management and financial operations support to the Project in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations and relevant Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs);
- Monitor delivery results on monthly basis, budget utilization, review financial exception reports (related to GMS, cost-sharing deficits etc.);
- Review prepared budgets, assist in preparation of these budgets, overview budget revisions for Project Management Specialist approval;
- Assist with project closure process according to UNDP guidelines and procedures;
- Assist Project management in preparation/revision of Project Implementation and Annual Work Plans;
- Preparation of travel requests in ATLAS and other travel related documents, for the Cluster staff and others on Projects Missions;
- Work to ensure administrative support arrangements for the project team;
- Proper control of the supporting documents for payments and other financial related transactions;
- Maintenance of the internal expenditures control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed; transactions are correctly recorded and posted in Atlas; travel claims, and other entitlements are duly processed;
- Ensure timely posting of vouchers and correctly posting the vouchers with the correct Chart of Account and timely following up on unapproved vouchers;
- Coordination of the Finance and Administration information flow in within the project team, follow up on circulation files, documents and consolidate as required;
- Maintenance of the filing system ensuring safekeeping of important cluster team materials. Use of automated filing system for easy retrieval of documents;
- Follow up on deadlines, financial commitments made, actions taken and coordination of collection and submission of the financial reports.
Implementation of Finance operational strategies, Accounting and administrative support:
- Performs overall coordination of project administrative and support services;
- Ensures compliance with organizational rules and procedures on all administrative and financial matters and transactions; undertake regular briefing sessions for cluster team members;
- Proper control of the supporting documents for payments and financial reports for the project;
- Presentation of information on the status of financial resources as required;
- Maintenance of the proper filing system for finance records and documents.
- Perform other finance and administrative duties as may be required and assigned by supervisor and/or Team Leader.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
- Basic Budgeting, Accounting, and Project concepts;
- Budgeting Procedures;
- Financial Management Systems;
- Financial Internal Controls;
- Ability to acquire and Administer Financial Information;
- Ability to provide top quality policy advice services on Finance and Administration.
- Ability to plan and manage administration matters;
- Ability to maintain workforce in support of the Project and meeting customer needs;
- Ability to advocate position and communicate the information;
- Ability to present ideas and instructions orally and in writing;
- Ability to generate understanding and support from higher lever management.
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary school completion or Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, Management, Economics, Social Sciences or any other relevant field.
- At least 4 years of progressive experience in development-related work at the project finance and administration.
- Previous work experience in Finance in an International Organization is an advantage;
- Demonstrated expertise, knowledge and understanding in Finance and Administration in project implementation;
- Broad experience in providing back-office support;
- Demonstrated accounting skills;
- Good communication skills;
- Knowledge and experience in multilateral financed Project implementation modalities, reporting, administrative and financial procedures would be an asset.
- Fluency in English and a local language is required;
- Working knowledge of another official UN language is an asset.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.