Positive action for Development (PAD) is an Ethiopian resident’s charity organization. The organization was legally registered at Federal level by Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia Charities and Societies agency on June 6/2011 with a registration number 2330. The organization has also been re-registered and accorded legal personality with registry number 2330 on May 22, 2019 as Local Organization in accordance with the civil society Organization proclamation No. 1113/2019. PAD would like to hire qualified professional for the following position.
Duties and responsibilities
Working with and reporting to the Finance and Administration Manager, the Finance & Administration Officer will be responsible for all financial, procurement, property administration, and Human resources activities within the organization and for technically supporting the co-workers working under the Finance & Administration Officer in all such matters. This includes supervising accountant & cashier, handling all financial and procurement transactions, verifying, consolidating and preparing financial reports, prepare monthly branch officer budget and cash request, monitoring branch office budgets, ensuring that sufficient cash is available to cover programmatic activities of the organization, familiarize the staffs in implementing Human Resources Policies and Procedures, recording and posting of financial data; maintaining and controlling inventory movements, vehicles, and all other fixed assets management and keeping up-to-date pertinent records of the organization books of accounts.
Specific responsibilities include the following:
1) Financial Management :
- Properly codes and records expenditure, income and any other related transactions in the Peachtree system
- Review Financial Ledgers to ensure that transactions are coded and posted appropriately.
- prepare monthly bank reconciliations for all bank Accounts
- Review debtors and creditors accounts, generate aging analysis on a monthly basis and report overdue balances to the Finance and Administration Manager for appropriate action
- Record receipt of grants from donors and local resource mobilization
- Ensure properly keeps chequebooks in safe custody.
- Effects payment of cheques against receipts/invoices and proper signature of the recipient
- Make sure that all financial irregularities observed are timely reported to Finance and Administration Manager
- Ensures valid cash receipts/invoices are delivered to finance for all cheques issued to Payees.
- Follows-up and ensure working advances and pre travel advances are liquidated timely
- Ensures that timely fixed assets count is carried out
- Perform clearance of long outstanding advances and any variances.
- Prepare payroll for employees and other regular payments with due consideration to deductions (taxes, advance, loan....).
- Checks all petty cash payments
- Coordinates with auditors to ensure the smooth running of the annual audit and implements auditors' recommendations.
- Keeps up to date and orderly controlling records of receipts
- Participate in the annual physical count of inventories and fixed assets
- Sequentially arranges, files and labels financial records in a professional and easily retrievable manner
- familiarize organization staffs on financial policies and procedures as well as procurement rules and regulations
- Ensure that all financial and procurement transactions are conducted per PAD’s financial policies and procedures and procurement regulations as well as following donor compliance requirements
- Ensure that the proper implementation of internal control system and financial policy of the organization.
- Undertakes any other related duties that may be assigned to him/her.
2) Financial System Development
- Identify internal control weaknesses and assist in developing policies, systems, and procedures to address such weaknesses
- Assist all staff in understanding the organization's financial policies, procedures, systems, and applications.
- Assist in development of good financial management systems and procedures, in line with best practices
3) Financial Reporting
- Review and analyse branch officer financial statements and all other required reports for the statutory and project audit purpose
- Produce year-end financial statements for external audit purposes
- Review monthly grant income charged to each donors and ensure that all are properly booked and fully reflect the actual transactions in accordance with grant document
- Prepare and submit other regular or on request financial reports, as per the reporting requirements of branch office, government agencies and other project funders.
4) Finance Team Leadership
- Provide direction to finance team.
- Identify training needs for finance staff, and ensure the training is provided in consultation with the Finance and Administration Manager
- Develop performance targets with staffs, conduct performance evaluations and provide constructive feedbacks to the staffs
5) Human Resources activities:
- Ensure the proper implementation of PAD’s Human Resources Policy Manual and the Labour Code of Ethiopia
- Prepare Human Resources Planning to ensure sustainable supply of the right personnel
- Organize recruitment programs, participate in recruitment and selection of team members as required
- Organize orientation programs and introduce new entrants with PAD vision, values , working culture, policies and procedures
- Ensure the timely renewal/termination of staff contracts and Liaise with all units in the organization
- Prepare annual leave plan and ensure that all staff have submitted their leave plan each year and follow up the implementation of the plan accordingly.
- Update and maintain all records of staff leave, in their personnel files and ensure that leave is taken as per the plan of the organization
- Update and keep files of staff’ history and prepare monthly statistical report
- Participate in Human Resources Policy and Procedure manual preparation, updating and other related issues
- Assist in Conducting training needs assessment
- Maintain staffs personnel records
- Prepare periodic reports on Human Resources related activities.
- Ensure staffs performance appraisal is conducted according to the guideline and performance Management cycle of PAD.
6) Procurement and Property Administration:
- Manage procurement activities
- Prepare and review specifications and other necessary documents related to local purchasing of materials, supplies, and equipment based on PAD regulations and procedures with the highest possible expected quality;
- Ensure that purchases are made in the best interest of PAD taking into account best value for money
- Establish and administer contracts and purchase orders to ensure compliance with bid specifications and requirements such as quality of materials and services, payment scheduling, vendor performance;
- Establish efficient and cost effective procurement system based on - procurement regulations and procedures.
- Prepares Procurement Plan
- Files all procurement documents in an orderly manner for control and reference purposes.
- Prepares Monthly procurement status report and submits to the supervisor as required.
- Regularly update the Finance and Administration Manager on matters related to procurement.
- Ensure that branch office government taxes and fees relating to ownership of PAD facilities are timely paid and the title deeds are timely renewed
- Ensure that proper safety and security mechanisms are in place
- Makes sure that compounds are always clean and equipment and other property is well arranged to avoid any risks of injury and damages
- Maintain fixed asset register and keep a custodian sheet signed by users for property under their custody
- Record newly received fixed assets and updates the record regularly
- Assist in the proposal and disposal process of damaged, obsolete, expired materials.
- Check completeness and accuracy of vehicle log books and record properly
- Check the timely fuelling, maintenance and servicing of vehicles.
- Make sure daily and monthly vehicle related checklists and reports are used and submitted on time
- Develop and implement efficient vehicle booking and planning systems in consultation with the Finance and Administration Manager, assigns vehicles and ensures that Pad’s vehicle management and driving policies are adhered to
- Handles offices lease agreements and ensures their timely renewal.
- Perform other related duties as requested by his/her immediate supervisor
No required: one
Qualification: BA Degree and above in Accounting and Finance
Experience: At least 2 years relevant experience out of which 1 years’ experience in NGO
Skills Required, Attitudes and Attributes:
- Team player with excellent financial and communication skills
- Skilled computer literacy in all Microsoft office programs, and Peachtree Accounting software
- Knowledge of various donors financial policy and procedures
- Ability to produce financial statements & reports on time
- Fluency in written and spoken English
How to Apply
Interested and qualified applicants should submit their application letter and required documents within seven consecutive days from the date of this announcement to the following address (in person or through organizational email).
Positive Action for Development (PAD)
Addis Ababa, Bole Sub-city Woreda 04, House No 774 around Dr. Haddis Alemayehu School
E-mail: [email protected]