Cordaid believes in a world without poverty and exclusion. We strive for just and sustainable societies where every person counts. We stand for knowledge and talent sharing between North and South, between farmers and businesses, between activists and policymakers. Where poverty, conflict and exclusion divide societies, we connect people and communities. We stand for professionalism, expertise and solidarity across borders. We aim at maximizing our social impact and contributing to systemic change. We operate where natural disasters strike, where conflicts tear up communities and where lack of opportunities and service delivery keep families in extreme poverty.
Cordaid is an internationally operating value-based emergency relief and development organisation, working in and on fragility.
Cordaid is a member of the international Catholic networks Caritas and CIDSE and we are active in worldwide civil society networks. We work in around 20 countries in Africa, Middle East and Asia.
For the Cordaid Country Office in Ethiopia, Cordaid is looking for a
Finance and Operations Manager
Purpose of the Position
Direction and management of country operations so that support functions which comprise financial management, administration, human resources, procurement, logistics/ fleet management, IT are coordinated and implemented efficiently and cost-effectively during project cycle implementation in a manner that assures operational integrity at all levels.
Responsibilities and Accountability
- Participate as a member of the Cordaid Ethiopia SMT under the Country Director’s leadership, contributing to action planning, and problem solving;
- Ensure integration of all operations department activities with Programs Management teams to ensure that operational aspects are fully in alignment to Country, Cordaid and donor policies and implementation of quality programming and working environments at the highest standard;
- Conduct routine Operations Department meetings that serve to organize work and prioritize actions, support team building, and in a manner that fosters inclusion from all departmental staff;
- Strengthen capacities of finance, HR, IT, logistics and procurement staff in Cordaid Ethiopia through coaching and mentoring for growth;
- Develop / refine procedures to enhance efficiency of program support delivery in line with country, Cordaid and donor policies and procedures
- Develop and manage Cordaid Ethiopia’s annual budget;
- Ensure cost coverage of the CO thru optimal cost allocations across projects;
- Manage the periodic financial activities and cycles with quality and set timelines;
- Manage CO financial management in compliance to country, Cordaid, donor policies;
- Continuously put in measures that enhance the CO financial management processes;
- Work with budget holders and project controllers to manage complex projects;
- Prepare and provide management reports on a periodic basis;
- Prepare/review budgets for proposals;
- Provide oversight during project budget revisions, no-cost extensions & exit strategies;
- Identify bottlenecks in CO and project budgets and implement measures to secure the costs and funds for sustainability of CO interventions;
- Oversee that project records & documents are adequately prepared, compiled and filed;
- Conduct routine spot-check on delivery of programme finance services and regular budget monitoring of projects to assure target delivery and compliance
Procurement and Logistics
- Oversee the preparation of procurement plans for projects in an annual basis;
- Lead all procurements at all levels, working closely with procurement team;
- Manage CO annual vendor prequalification process;
- Review analysis procurement committees in vendor selection;
- Negotiate vendor contracts of complex procurements;
- Ensure routine and timely tracking of Cordaid Ethiopia fixed assets is taking place;
- Provide overall management of the vehicle fleet used in the Country Office, including safety, maintenance, fuel and consumables, monitoring and the management of drivers;
- Coordinate the development and implementation of administrative monitoring systems of all operational functions including vehicle fleet, computer and related assets;
- Conduct routine audits, spot checks, and maintain Cordaid standards in respect to inventory control, procurement and practices for business ethics, code of conduct;
- Ensure that accurate and complete accounting, reporting and internal controls systems are functioning and that all relevant records are maintained;
- Ensure effective warehouse management and quality control measures are implemented;
- Ensure adequate logistics preparedness for program support activities as needed;
- Work with the budget leads to ensure timely program support activities are taking place and troubleshoot any issues that might cause interruption in the support services management.management.
- Provide technical input on key HR policies and documents;
- Ensure staff awareness and respect of Cordaid finance & ops policies and procedures;
- Proactively support budget holders to adapt project staffing structure to needs;
- Together with CD, ensure regular performance appraisal and career management of project teams;
- Ensure a positive working environment and good team dynamics;
- Support capacity building among project staff.
- Support the CO teams in partner identification, assessment, and partner capacity building activities;
- Ensure that all budgetary issues between Cordaid Ethiopia and partners are addressed, and that mutually beneficial solutions are agreed upon in a timely manner;
- Manage Cordaid Ethiopia Grants Management team to ensure that partners are adequately meeting contractual deliverables.
Safety & Security
- Maintain close coordination and communication with the CD and Safety Officer on security concerns and issues that could adversely affect staff and/or operations;
- Work with the CD to ensure business continuity, including security, financial, operational and reputation risks by developing contingency plans and scenarios; and take ownership of the action plans;
- Work with Cordaid security personnel to ensure proper security measures are in place to reduce risks to staff and property and to install emergency security procedures.
- Master degree in financial management;
- At least seven years’ experience in working with an INGO, of which at least five in a financial & operations position;
- Sound experience in Human Resources, administration and logistics management including procurement and fleet management. Experience in tendering and contract management;
- Good and proven experience with working with various external (institutional) donors;
- Strong accounting, analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Strong organiser of one’s own work (knowing how to prioritise);
- Strong communication skills;
- Be diplomatic, culturally sensitive, result-oriented, innovative and a strong team player;
- Excellent English writing and communication skills;
- Computer skills to include a solid working knowledge of Excel, including the usage of complex formulas;
- Work experience in fragile, stressful settings;
- Proficiency in financial software;
- Experience in managing partner organisations.
Specifics of duty station
The Finance and Operations Manager will be based in the Cordaid office in Addis Ababa. Occasional travel to other project areas, security permitting, will occasionally be required.
The contract period is for 12 months starting as soon as possible, with the intention to extend for a longer period. We offer a Cordaid contract with a competitive salary and a benefit package which includes R&R, a comprehensive insurance cover, social security and pension contribution, a holiday allowance, 13th month, hardship allowance and cost of living allowance.This is an international family posting.
Further information & how to apply
Applications including a motivation letter and extensive CV in English, including the contact details of at least three professional references, should be forwarded on attn. of Akinyi Walendar until 7 August 2022**.**
Cordaid is fully committed to a safe working environment and the highest integrity standards. To read more on our commitment to Integrity,
An integrity screening will be part of this application procedure.
An assessment and / or a presentation of a “case study” can be part of the selection procedure.