Reporting to the senior Finance Manager, the Finance Manager- UNHCR grants based in Addis Ababa is personally responsible for the IRC Ethiopia Program budget & grant management functions mainly for UNHCR project , including managing Budget Vs Actual, donor reports, developing donor compliance cheat sheets, staff capacity building and assisting SFM on general grants management.
The Finance Manager- Grants will report to the senior Finance Manager and work closely with IRC Ethiopia Finance team and Ethiopia program/Admin/Log staff.
- Preparation of draft donor reports for review by the Senior Finance Manager
- Analysis of actual to budget results to identify problems in accounting or compliance
- Identification of procedural or training issues to be addressed to improve the quality of report data.
- Preparation of the creation of detail level budgets in IRC SUN format to ensure required donor reports can be produced from the accounting system.
- Assisting in the preparation and maintenance of the country’s Operating Budget to ensure data is complete and maintained on a timely basis.
- Preparation of monthly management reports analyzing the use of unrestricted funding versus approved allocation.
- Assisting in the development and preparation of cost allocation processes for overarching costs that comply with donor regulations on allowable costs.
- Working with program staff to prepare grant budgets to support new proposals or realignments to ensure adequate coverage of country operating costs and NY direct and indirect costs.
- Review of actual vs. budget results to ensure maximum utilization of budgeted amounts and to provide recommendations for realignments as required.
- Provide oversight of active grant spending against budget to assure expenditure is on target
- Review & prepare accruals listing at grant close & year end
- Prepare and distribute monthly budget versus actual (BvA) reports with narrative, with relevant comments and spending recommendations
- Prepare adjustment JV for correcting coding errors, reclassifications, etc
- Participate in Grants Opening/Review/Closing and monthly BvA review meetings. Ensure coded budget is prepared based on donor format.
- Follow up and provide feedback to operations and program staff on action points from previous meetings and propose entry adjustments required for all B v As and financial reports, in compliance with donor regulations.
3. SUN Processing
- Control over and/or entry of changes to the Chart of Accounts, Analysis Codes and Exchange Rates
- Performing or supervising the posting of entries ensuring proper controls are enforced and appropriate systems in place to maintain all required supporting documentation.
- Production of required monthly and adhoc reports.
- Developing expertise to control the system, develop new reports and be able to train staff in processing of data.
- Ensuring budgets are loaded on a timely basis
- Ensuring a backup and retention procedure is in place and followed for all SUN master files
4. Balance Sheet Accounts
- Supervising or performing all balance sheet account reconciliation’s on a timely basis
- Ensuring differences or discrepancies are brought to the attention of the FC and that appropriate action is taken.
- Recommending standard formats for reconciliation’s and/or procedures to improve the underlying accounting, control or processing of transactions to minimize errors or omissions.
5. Procurement Accounting
- The review of and accounting for procurement transactions to ensure adequate supporting documentation, accuracy of amounts and control over payments
- Maintaining a system to track commitments and outstanding contract amounts.
- Providing input to Purchase Request approvals to ensure commitments are considered before further purchases approved
- Primary responsibility for liaison with logistics/procurement.
6. Cash/Bank – Processing
- Supervision of the processing of bank and cash transactions.
- Ensuring internal control procedures are followed for all cash disbursements, receipts and transfers
- Preparation or oversight of the preparation of the cash accounting worksheet
- Liaison with bank officials to resolve problems or facilitate improved service.
7. Cash Forecasting
- Preparation of cash forecasts and CTR for the country program
- Monitoring cash usage and requirements and advises the Finance Controller of possible unusual activity or requirements
- Working with field and program coordinators to help them develop more accurate cash forecasts
- Providing recommendations for cost allocation systems in accordance with donor regulations
- Assisting in or reviewing physical inventory counts and ensuring proper valuation and accounting for inventory or supply items.
- The processing of the national payroll ensuring standard financial controls are maintained
- Ensuring payroll reports and cash is distributed to the required locations in time for all staff to be paid by the last day of the month.
- Preparation of the necessary related accounting entries including salary allocations
- Serving as primary liaison with Administration and the field offices on payroll related issues
- Liaison with local government to ensure compliance with national tax and labor regulations.
- Internal audit activities as required by the Finance Controller
- Reviews of controls and monitoring of compliance with established procedures.
- Preparation of written reports for review by the Controller which identify key issues and provide recommendations for improving control processes or procedures
11.Field Office Training & Support
- Acting as the primary liaison for the field office finance staff for policy or procedure questions
- By frequent visits to the field offices providing training to finance staff on IRC accounting procedures and requirements, assists the Field Coordinators and program staff in finance related issues and activities.
- Review of financial data submitted by the field to identify weaknesses or problems being encountered by field finance staff and recommend corrective action.
- In conjunction with the Assistant Finance Controller developing or revising policy and procedures and assists in the implementation.
- Contribute to the overall proper functioning of the Finance department by taking on any other duties assigned by supervisor.
- Contribute to the overall improvement of the financial and accounting system in Ethiopia by providing recommendation to supervisor for consideration on specific areas that could be improved.
- Contribute to team work and team play.
KEY WORKING RELATIONSHIPS:
Internal : Senior Finance Manager, Finance Staff, Grant reporting and compliance unit, Program Coordinators and Managers, support managers
Education (Knowledge): Bachelors degree in accounting, business administration, commerce or finance or similar relevant qualification
- 5 years of relevant experience with the first degree and 4 years of relevant experience for post graduate degree.
- At least 1 year managerial experience.
- Minimum three years of finance experience in an international NGO with a computerized accounting system such as SUN
SKILL & ABILITIES;
Mandatory Committed to the mission and principles of the International Rescue Committee, Excellent computer skills including word processing and spreadsheet functions, excellent organizational and multi-tasking skills, attention to detail, ability to communicate clearly and work under pressure to meet deadlines.
Experience in SUN systems accounting software, willing to travel to field sites (Freetown, Kono, Kailahun) as required.