The World Food Programme (WFP) is a United Nations frontline agency in the fight against hunger, continually responding to emergencies. Assisting 91.4 million people in around 83 countries each year, the World Food Programme (WFP) is the leading humanitarian organization saving lives and changing lives, delivering food assistance in emergencies and working with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience. On any given day, WFP has 5,000 trucks, 20 ships and 92 planes on the move, delivering food and other assistance to those in most need. Every year, we distribute more than 15 billion rations at an estimated average cost per ration of US$ 0.31. These numbers lie at the roots of WFP’s unparalleled reputation as an emergency responder , one that gets the job done quickly at scale in the most difficult environments. WFP’s efforts focus on emergency assistance , relief and rehabilitation, development aid and special operations.
WFP Ethiopia is working with the government and other humanitarian partners to strengthen the resilience of Ethiopia’s most vulnerable population and to chart a more prosperous and sustainable future for the next generation. The Country Office also supports programmes that use food assistance to empower women, transform areas affected by climate change and keep children in school. It aims to contribute to Ethiopia’s five-year development agenda, the Growth and Transformation Plan (GTP), through which the Government combats food insecurity.
WFP is recruiting IT Operations Assistant to replenish roasters in its Country Office(COs), Sub Office, and Field Offices. Eligibility to the roster and subsequent eligibility for contracts at the G.4 or G.5 level will depend on candidates meeting the minimum requirements for the positions, the terms of references of the assignment and the scores achieved in test and interview. The Job holders report to a Head of the Unit or the designate.
At this level job holders are expected to take responsibility for the completion of a range of processes and activities requiring interpretation of standard guidelines/practices. Job holders are able to recommend a course of action to staff at various levels and may allocate tasks to other staff.
To deliver high-quality technical support, system, and data maintenance across a range of areas, in order to contribute to the effective delivery of IT services. To deliver high-quality technical support, system, and data maintenance across a range of areas, in order to contribute to the effective delivery of IT services.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
1. Carry out system maintenance tasks, such as performing monitoring tasks, running system diagnostics, and system optimization, to ensure they are running effectively and enable easy and efficient use.
2. Maintain technology, including standard repairs, configuration, and storage, in accordance with data security and access controls to ensure IT equipment required for WFP staff is available.
3. Prepare files and systems for inventory and archives, such as website content and directories, to ensure information is accurate and up-to-date.
4. Allocate tasks to other colleagues, ensuring that tasks are delivered to agreed standards and deadlines, to support the effective delivery of services.
5. Respond to a variety of queries about technology and systems in order to assist WFP staff to deliver their services.
6. With the support of senior colleagues, provide standard training to end-users of technology and systems to ensure staff uses standard technology and systems effectively.
7. Perform routine deployments of server hardware and software, including testing and the identification of problems, to contribute to the effective functioning of technology.
8. Responsible for maintaining information records such as updating web pages and statistical databases to ensure the information is current and well organized.
9. Install, operate, and maintain telecommunications systems and equipment, to ensure optimal services in compliance with standard operations procedures.
10. Support the development of standard material such as training documentation and web content on behalf of senior officers, to ensure staff has access to required information about IT services and products.
11. Suggest improvements to methods and processes in order to support the continuous improvement of IT services.
12. Follow set emergency response processes and procedures as required to provide support in enabling emergency food assistance needs to be met.
Education: Completion of a university degree in the related functional area.
Experience: 4 or more years of progressively responsible work experience in IT
Language : Fluency in both oral and written communication in English. Knowledge of the local language is an added advantage
How to Apply
WFP is an equal opportunity employer. Female candidates meeting the above qualifications are encouraged to apply on-line through the WFP recruitment website.
Public access (for external VA): Public-132081
WFP staff access (for internal and external VA): WFP-132081
This VA is open ONLY to Ethiopian Nationals.
Please note that WFP does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.
Only qualified candidates will be contacted.