FH Ethiopia is a non-governmental organization engaged in relief and development activities. At FH, we operate under a set of guiding principles we call the “The Heartbeat”. This includes our Values, Vision and Purpose, which serve as the explanation of who we are and how we work as organization. Together we follow God’s call responding to human suffering and graduating communities from extreme poverty. FH Ethiopia would like to invite potential candidates to apply for the Senior Operations Manager position:
Senior Operations Manager assists to provide leadership to develop, maintain, manage systems to ensure the smooth operations, efficiency and effectiveness of support services including Procurement, Logistics Management and Administration through improvement to each functional unit as well as coordination and communication between support and program functions. S/he assists the Finance and Administration Director to ensure that FH Ethiopia conformity with Government of Ethiopia laws and regulations to operate in the country as international NGO and compliance with GSC and FH Ethiopia policies and procedures. S/he works with Program Directors and Managers at HO to ensure that accurate Procurement Planning, proper Procurement Executions and appropriate utilization of resources are carried out. S/he supports FH Ethiopia expatriates living in Ethiopia or visiting for a short-term period with housing, lodging, security, visas and communication. S/he plays significant role in long term planning including initiatives geared towards operational excellence
- Provide leadership to the Operations team including procurement, logistics and property administration, security, and other general service support operations
- Lead the development/adaptation of administrative policies such as procurement, property admin, vehicle management & travel, and Security Policies, and their implementation
- Promote teamwork across and within the operations team setting high standards of work delivery and integrity through feedback, coaching and mentorship;
- Participate in new business development, Operations work plans, implementation plans, as necessary;
- Play a significant role in long term planning, including an initiative geared toward operational excellence
- With the Finance & Admin Director, ensure regular reporting to ACSO for FH Ethiopia registration as iNGO, and assist with annual external audit;
- Ensure the implementation of FHE Procurement Handbook, DoA, Vehicle Management and Use Policy, other work tools and procedures at all leven of the organization;
- Ensure that expatriate staff and their dependents, visitors and guests secure work and resident permits, and visas for their stay in Ethiopia;
- Ensure that all important documents are logged and filed appropriately and ensure that executed documents are properly filed;
- Ensure that couriers, correspondence and other key documents circulating between FH Ethiopia and other parties are tracked appropriately;
- Work with finance/program/project staff to ensure that contracts and MOUs are reviewed in HO according to the DoA;
- Ensures that all goods and service procurement contacts terms and conditions, expiry and renewals, bonds and retentions, withholdings, suppliers’ receivables and payables are tracked and well managed.
Procurement & Contracts
- Manage all goods and services procurements following the GSC, FH Ethiopia and donor rules and regulations and the country Delegation of Authority Matrix.
- Ensure FH Ethiopia has full-fledged pre-qualified supplier and products database, update periodically, and establish Preferred Vendors selection and updates periodically.
- Conduct periodic market assessment for regularly purchased goods and services, and establish FHE standards and specifications for general goods purchases.
- Work with Contracts/program/technical departments to manage procurement of materials including reviewing specs with relevant persons and fill bases of vendor selection based on GSC/FH Ethiopia policy for any item office may purchase;
- Administer all service contracts with service companies and vendors including travel agency, insurance companies, printing houses, equipment/furniture maintenance companies, etc. while making sure that they are working accordingly;
- Ensure regular review of all existing contracts with service providers and vendors for price competitiveness in the market so as to obtain the best value for cost in terms of benefits provided to FH Ethiopia;
- Ensure the proper management and regular maintenance of all office vehicles, including rented vehicles, their gas usage and ensure that they are inspected and registered with government offices;
- Ensure maintaining of inventory of furniture and process requests for new furniture purchases or re-assignments of furniture to staff;
- Ensure that office equipment inventory is regularly updated and ensure regular maintenance of office equipment as and when needed;
- Ensures that an annual Fixed Asset Report is prepared, then updated based on regular inventory count and sent to ACSO;
- Oversee management of FH Ethiopia properties, ensuring in particular that electronic equipment are maintained in a way consistent with prolonging their useful life despite frequent use;
- Ensure appropriate use of office stuff, utilities, supplies and stationeries, supervise office stationery stock and ensure cleanliness of store rooms;
- Provide support in clearing any shipments from customs or any other donor and government body;
- Ensure that FH Ethiopia’s properties are insured (either through GSC's coverage or in country), the list of property (Asset Register) is updated, and there is follow up on any insurance claims;
- Serve as main contact person with the landlord for the office(s) and expatriate houses and negotiate terms of leases in cases of renewal, or termination of contracts;
Office Administration and General Services
- Make recommendations to the Finance and Administration Director as to work space arrangements for staff, configuring office and common areas, and organize furniture and other procurement, minor repairs and improvements as needed;
- Ensure that the reception to the office is staffed, that telephones are manned at all times and that the FH Ethiopia office presents a welcoming and professional appearance to the outside world;
- Ensure telephone, electricity, water and sewerage systems of the offices and expat residences are functional and timely maintained;
- Ensures that expatriate staff assigned to FH Ethiopia provided necessary supports including in the identification of housing, negotiating leases, establishing services such as utilities, clearing shipments through customs, obtaining work & resident permits, drivers licenses, bank accounts, etc. and providing other assistance to facilitate entry into or departure from country;
- Ensure that international FHE guests are received at the airport for their safety and that secure and comfortable accommodations have been made, which maximizes productivity (e.g. access to internet).
- Travel to regional project offices as needed to provide support in opening and/or closing FH Ethiopia offices, recruiting staff locally, or furnishing offices
- Act as point person for managing the guards – providing training and guidance on how to welcome visitors, while maintaining proper security
- Oversee operation of the canteen.
- Ensure that security is provided to the office and houses of expatriate staff, managing contracts with relevant vendors as needed and offering improvements to the properties when necessary to enhance security;
FH strives to provide an environment free from sexual exploitation and abuse and harassment in all places where relief and development programs are implemented. FH holds a zero-tolerance policy against sexual exploitation and abuse and harassment. FH expects its employees to maintain high ethical standards, protect organizational integrity and reputation, and ensure that FH work is carried out in honest and fair methods, in alignment with the FH Heartbeat and safeguarding and associated policies. Violations to stated policies will be subject to corrective action up to and including termination of employment.
- Publicly endorse FH is gender sensitive and inform the mandates of the Gender & Diversity groups, gender advisors, and gender focal Points.
- Approve funding for a full slate of gender activities and implementation
- Enforce the sexual harassment policy and on field visits, raise gender issues with staff, and spend time with Gender Focal Points.
- Work with HR to make recruitment more “gender friendly”, with gender sensitive interview panels.
Safety & Security Responsibility
- Encourages compliance of Safety and Security principles and policies of the organization by all staffs;
- Takes the leadership in the management of Safety and Security in the Head Office and Projects. This includes identifying factors that increase risk, finding ways to reduce risk and planning ahead;
- Ensuring that all employees, local/foreign interns, as well as external consultants submit an updated Record of Emergency Data to their travels out of their base stations to accomplish FHE’s mission.
- Communicating with staffs in Field Offices and operational areas periodically and making sure that all staff members are aware of the safety and security procedures;
- Facilitating implementation and revision of Country Office procedures when required. This includes identifying potentially risky situations and suggesting corrective measures.
Job Level Specification
- Full agreement with FH’s Christian foundation and beliefs as expressed in The Heartbeat: our Values, Vision, and Purpose.
- response and US government-funded NGOs or Projects;
- Computer literacy and ability to use all Office programs
- Excellent management, supervision/mentoring and organizational skills
- Ability to travel within Ethiopia occasionally
- Language Requirement: Fluency in English and Amharic is required
- Self-management is necessary (i.e. motivation, dependable, dealing with pressure, adaptability), as is the ability to project a professional, consistent image. Both internal and external clients must see the Senior Operations Manager as a person of competence and high integrity, and trust his/ her capability and sense of confidentiality
- Interpersonal Skill Requirements: Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to work in a multi-disciplinary team setup; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with NGOs, American Government/ FH Ethiopia – Ethiopia staff, vendors and other relevant partners
- Knowledge of procurement, logistics and administrative systems & development of working policy, manuals, procedures;
- Ability to work in a complex environment with multiple tasks, short deadlines and intense pressure to perform, working on emergency response programs
- Ability to work proactively, organize and manage own work and assist others to do the same
- At least eight years in positions of increasing responsibility with Procurement, Logistics Management, administration and office management and having supervisory roles and proven track record of inspiring performance from subordinates
- Experience with iNGO is a must, preferably with those working on emergency
- Minimum Bachelors degree, preferably MBA, post graduate qualification in Supply Chain Management, Management/Logistics, or related field with commensurate experience; an IT qualification is advantageous
How to Apply
Competent candidates can submit ONLY their applications with CV’s to: [email protected]
Candidates MUST refer the position title on the subject line of their email and applications