Vacancy No. IOM-SVN/0094/2019
Position Title National Liaison Officer
Duty Station Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Classification General Service Staff, NOA
Type of Appointment SVN, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date As soon as possible
Posting Period 13.08.2019-27.08.2019Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal & External candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy.
Under the current circumstance in Ethiopia, currently there is a heavy influx of ex-combatants who will require assistance to reintegrate into communities after long periods in exile. Hence, to secure sustainable and peaceful reintegration of the ex-combatants having returned to their communities IOM along with the Government of Ethiopia is going to implement a disarmament, Demobilisation and Reintegration Project.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission in Ethiopia and the direct supervision of the Project Development and Policy Officer and in coordination with the Head of Units, the successful candidate will maintain and support productive coordination and communication between IOM and relevant authorities in Ethiopia to ensure programme success and continuity. In particular, he/she will:
Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- In coordination with IOM Ethiopia Senior Management and Project/Programme Managers, maintain regular communication with relevant authorities and stakeholders.
- Share feedback from meetings with the relevant authorities with IOM Senior Management and centralize meeting notes, circulars and relevant documentation appropriately.
- Communicate the requests and requirements from authorities, with regards to IOM/UN/Humanitarian activities to the relevant IOM counterparts. Suggest and support follow up meetings/engagement with appropriate authorities, senior management and technical colleagues where necessary.
- Regularly brief the Chief of Mission and senior management with respect to changes in protocol that could affect IOM programming in Ethiopia and the region.
- Establish an effective action matrix to address pending issues with authorities. Work with senior management and sub offices to find positive solutions to challenges. Update action matrix weekly and brief COM and senior management weekly on progress, highlighting issues needing immediate resolution.
- Manage all official written communication with authorities; including the drafting and translation of official documents, dissemination and record keeping to facilitate knowledge management.
- Update and maintain all the contact details of authorities at the national, governorate, and district level.
- Regularly update and share with senior management, sub offices and relevant IOM program team members.
- Work closely with the Communications team and the Programme Support team to ensure external reports and media engagement is in line with IOM and partner priorities.
- In coordination with the Resources Management Unit and the Logistics team, support IOM operations with issues requiring engagement with authorities; for instance, visa issuance, residencies, agreements, and MoUs.
- In coordination with senior management, participate in relevant meetings and report on related matters to promote IOM's activities and image in Ethiopia.
- Undertake regular duty travel relating to maintaining strong communication with field-based IOM teams, as well as monitoring compliance with regulations to ensure program sustainability and access to beneficiaries.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- Masters or Bachelor’s degree in business law and/or political science from an accredited academic institution.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience for Masters Degree holders and 8 years of experience for BA holders.
- Professional experience in coordination and liaising with governments and other related areas, preferably within the United Nations or International Humanitarian Organizations.
- Ability to pay close attention to details and work with minimal supervision
- Excellent computer skills especially MS Office and SAP
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills, strong interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously within a team.
- Proposal and report writing experience
- Proven management experience
- Proven project management experience
- Excellent representational skills
- Fluency in English is required;
- Working knowledge of other local languages of the duty station is advantageous.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following technical and behavioral competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity : respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency : maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism : demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioral indicators level 2
- Teamwork : develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results : produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge : continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability : takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication : encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioral indicators level 2
- Leadership : provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust : creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision : works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighboring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighboring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application/ motivation letter enclosed with only detail CV written in English via our e-mail address RECADDIS@IOM.INT , by August 27, 2019 at the latest, referring the position title and Vacancy number in the subject line of your email; no photocopies of educational/training certificates is required at this stage; applicant who doesn`t follow the required application procedure will automatically be disqualified from the competition.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
We strongly encourage qualified women to apply!