Light for the World is an international disability and development organization whose vision is an inclusive society where no one is left behind. We enable crucial eye health services and help to empower people with disabilities in some of the poorest regions of the world.
Our programmes include:
- Eye Health – preventing blindness and promoting eye health for all
- Education – ensuring children with disabilities receive quality, inclusive education
- Work – enhancing access for persons with disabilities to opportunities for employment and self-employment
- NTDs- Elimination and control of Neglected Tropical diseases
We focus on the poorest and hardest to reach because that’s where we will have the biggest impact. We create change through local people, organizations, and structures because we want our impact to last.
Duties and responsibilities
General accounting role
- Makes coding of payment documents, cash receipts, payment invoices and other documents as per the chart of accounts.
- Prepare check payment vouchers, record the transactions in the system
- Ensure all checks, bank transfer payment requests, proforma invoices or bid analysis are signed by an authorized person/or official delegate before bank payments are prepared.
- Prepare payments for withholding tax, income tax and other government obligation and ensure these are deducted before any payments has been made.
- Ensure the receipts for all payments are properly aligned and record the transaction accordingly
- Prepare accounts and receivables/payables schedule and reconcile with QuickBooks ledger balance.
- Undertakes posting to subsidiary and general ledgers and reconciliation of subsidiary ledgers with general ledgers.
- Ensures that up-to-date filing is maintained, and the relevant information is recorded properly and regularly.
- Supervise the petty cash fund handled by an office manager on a timely basis, this include daily count and reconciliation accuracy of petty cash request and replenishment form made before check is issued for replenishment.
- Record petty cash payment voucher in the system and balance with ledger
- Keep in a safe box those unused checks and prepare a check book request when need arises.
Grant Accounting roles and responsibilities
- VAT claiming process for respective Projects to ensure timely reimbursements
- Keeps accurate and complete financial records for assigned project,
- Support and assist in setting grant management policies and developing and enforcing procedures that ensure transparency in the sub-grants processes.
- In liaison with the Grants manager, ensure proper grants management (effective use of the grant management system) for the project and ensure it is fully operating, providing the relevant grants reports and regular updates.
- Support in preparation and managing donor/internal audits including liaison with auditors and providing necessary financial archiving procedures to ensure all required expenditure support documents are properly maintained and availed when required.
- Ensure all financial transactions of projects are properly authorized, recorded, supported, and filed.
- Facilitate training, workshops/seminars for the sub recipients, to foster good understanding of the grants process, implementation, reporting and accounting.
- Organize and maintain electronic and paper files of grant documents and resources
- Record receipt of grantee reports in grants database and accounting software
- Assist with data entry and coding in grants database and accounting software
- Support Grants Managers with tasks related to compliance and generating grant documents and mailing grant agreements and grant related documents.
- Manage the petty cash process for seconded staff at regional and zonal level and reconciliation, and staff advances / reimbursements, in accordance with the formal standards given.
- Keeps the program staff informed about deadlines and deliverables,
- Participate in procurement plan as needed,
Reporting to: Grant Manager (NTDs)
Duty station: Addis Ababa with travel to implementation areas.
Required qualification and experience
- Minimum of BA Degree in Accounting from a recognized university, advanced degree in related field is a plus.
- Sound understanding of financial management and accounting
- Minimum of five years work experiences as an accountant at INGO
- Strong knowledge of computer program Ms.-excel, Word, Access, and any accounting software, particularly QuickBooks
- Good written and spoken English communication skill
- Excellent team player and believe in the vision and mission of Light for the World
- Work closely and collaborate with grant team and finance and administration department
How to Apply
This position covers a number of grants accounting role including but not limited to USAID/RTI grant and the position will be extended more than one year based on performance. We receive applications only from candidates that fulfil the minimum criteria. Applications from female and persons with disabilities with the required qualification are encouraged to apply. Please send your CV (include 3 relevant work-related references), application letter (indicate your expected salary) via the following email address [email protected] on or before 20 th of December 2021.