About The IRC
We are, one of the world’s largest humanitarian international Non-Governmental organizations, providing relief, rehabilitation and development support to vulnerable people and communities over 30 countries. We began work in Ethiopia in 2000 in response to severe drought in Ethiopia’s Somali region and are currently providing assistance to Ethiopians and refugees in six regions in Ethiopia, implementing emergency and development programs in health, water and sanitation, economic recovery and development (ERD), women’s protection and empowerment, education, child protection, and multi-sectoral emergency response
The Assistant Environmental Health Coordinator reports to the EH/WASH Coordinator and is accountable for technical oversight & support for water, sanitation and hygiene promotion projects and building the capacity of EH staff in sites where IRC is implementing EH projects.
Key Job functions/responsibilities
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Ensure that EH projects are implemented in a timely and professional manner, according to goal, objectives, and indicators and in line with donor requirements and beneficiary needs.
- Ensure accurate documentation of EH activities and experiences at field and office level.
- Maintain close contact with EH Managers in IRC field sites to ensure effective technical, logistical and management support for all aspects of project implementation.
- Conduct regular monitoring and technical support visits to project sites.
- Conduct need assessments, project review assessments, and post-project impact assessments as needed and as advised;
- Coordinate with Hygiene Promotion Specialist, Senior MEAL Manager and other technical unit members to ensure targeted support and effective, quality programming.
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Maintain a regular system of project progress monitoring and evaluation.
- Strive to increase program quality through all stages of implementation. Develop and maintain systems to measure impact and quality in assigned projects.
- Monitor ongoing capacity building activities in the EH team, identify gaps and capacity building needs and propose targeted trainings to improve overall team capacity.
- Mentor and support managers and officers to increase their ability to perform effectively.
- Organize and conduct trainings and workshops for IRC Environmental Health staff.
- Support the EH field staff in designing & organizing training/workshops for members of the refugee and host communities.
- Remain abreast of new developments in the sector and disseminate ideas, tools, and approaches amongst EH team.
- Participate at external and coordination meetings with IPs, IOs and donors.
- Participate in strategic planning of the sector & the country program
- Conduct needs assessments in water and sanitation, hygiene promotion to write evidence-based proposals
- Maintain proper documentation of achievements and lessons learnt to guide proposal writings
- Actively participate in preparation of proposals, especially log-frame, technical description, and budget development.
Human Resource and Staffing
- Identify staffing needs and assists with recruitment when necessary.
- Assist in the orientation of newly arrived national and international staff on the team.
- Support Field Coordinators with IRC performance reviews for EH staff.
- Strive to improve and maintain overall team atmosphere and develop team-building relationships.
Logistics and Finance
- Liaise with IRC Administration, Logistics, and Finance Departments to ensure smooth operations and appropriate support to field staff.
- Raise and follow up on purchase requests, conduct equipment and materials inspections and ensure timely supply of materials to site.
- Develop and maintain tools to monitor project progress, financial commitments, and expenditures against budgets as necessary.
- Maintain budget plans & monitor spending for allocated EH budgets
- Provide timely trip reports and/or monthly reports to EH Coordinator
- Ensure and coordinates timely production of monthly reports by EH staff based on qualitative and quantitative indicators of project status.
- Provide input as required to complete donor reports.
- University degree (Masters level preferred) in civil, water resource engineering, environmental or public health or other related field.
- 4 years proven experience in WASH facility design, construction monitoring and contract management for Degree holders and 3 years for Masters holders.
- Experience in a humanitarian setting (refugee camps, rural development, or emergency response)
- Experience of supervising staff and interaction with international staff and partners and donors.
- You have strong communication and project management skills.
- Proficient in Windows, MS office programs, email and database experience.
- Proficiency in English, spoken and written