HelpAge International( www.helpage.org ) is the secretariat to the HelpAge Global Network, which brings together a wide range of organisations and individuals working to promote the rights and meet the needs of older women and men, nationally and/or internationally. At the core of this network, are civil society members, a group of civil society organisations working with older people around the world. These organisations share a vision of a world in which all older people are valued, and lead dignified, healthy and secure lives. HelpAge has been operating in Ethiopia since 1992 and has been involved on thematic sectors including social protection, health and wellbeing, humanitarian response, capacity building of partners and advocacy efforts.
Since 2014, HelpAge International has been responding to the needs of south Sudanese refugees’ influx with special focus on specific needs of older people and PWDs in Gambella region. Through the current humanitarian response project we expanded our reach to Benishangul Gumuz Region Assosa Refugee camps and added response to IDPs in the host communities of the region. The project will be implemented with full engagement of older people and other persons with specific needs and in close consultation and coordination with ARRA, UNHCR and other humanitarian actors involved in various sectors of refugee responses.
We are looking for motivated and self-driven individuals for the various positions in Gambella and Assosa (one). Read the below cross-cutting points applicable for all positions.
Our Values: Everyone who works at HelpAge share our values and are committed to behaviors that demonstrate and support them.
Inclusive We respect people, value diversity and are committed to equality
Impact We value and recognize the contribution of our staff and network members, as we put older people at the center of everything we do.
Partners We work with partners and network members & others to increase reach, influence and impact. We are committed to a culture of collaboration and building positive relationships.
Learning - We are passionate about learning, accountable and work together to find creative solutions
Please do not email any of your personal details (such as date of birth, marital status and religion or other characteristics).
Equal Opportunities: HelpAge International is committed to creating an inclusive working environment, promoting, and providing equal opportunities and respecting diversity in employment. We welcome applications from all suitably qualified individuals regardless of their age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, and sexual orientation. We encourage and facilitate a flexible working environment.
Safeguarding: Everyone has a role in creating and sustaining a safe and respectful working environment, where no one comes to any harm or is maltreated. At HelpAge we take our responsibilities very seriously and will take action against wrongdoing. We will do everything we can to ensure that we do not engage people that pose a safeguarding risk and will undertake criminal record checks as required.
HelpAge International is an equal opportunity employer and we strive to be inclusive in our teams.
Grade : C
Responsible to: Protection & Inclusion Officer and PC
Contract: One year, possibility of extension
Overall Purpose of the Job
The ideal candidate will have a strong understanding of community-based protection and rights-based programming, solid understanding of protection issues in conflict as well as protracted emergency setting, understanding of core humanitarian standards, principles, instruments, frameworks and protocols, and codes of conduct that govern humanitarian action. to provide guidance and develop capacity of front-line refugee incentive workers and older people groups. Proven experience, strong communication skills.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES AND KEY TASKS
- Experience in supporting teams working at camp level and ability to think from the angle of older people and other vulnerable groups/.
- Ensure effective implementation of projects working in collaboration with the project team, government and other stakeholders.
- Promote participatory approaches in assessing and addressing protection needs of older people and other most vulnerable groups. These helps to ensure inclusion of older people in programme design, implementation and monitoring, and to strengthen their engagement in promotion and advocacy work.
- Extremely strong communication, negotiation and representational skills and ability to work at a supervision level.
- At least 2 years’ humanitarian experience in an international or national NGO level preferably in a refugee set-up.
- Ensure quality and compliance with reporting requirements to submit within set deadlines to the Program coordinator and the Government and others as required:
- Develop a detail budget plan together with the program coordinator and her/his subordinates;
- Demonstrable experience of identifying and working with the most vulnerable and clear understanding of how they can and should be better supported.
- Sufficient maturity to be able to work diplomatically and convincingly with refugee structures /RCC/, OPAs and deliver training as appropriate.
- Technical and managerial competence in understanding inclusive humanitarian action and work to bring impact and continuously advocate for the inclusion of older persons and other vulnerable groups in program of other humanitarian actors.
- Understanding of humanitarian principles, core humanitarian standards and specific sector standards and experience in Humanitarian Advocacy and influencing
Educational background :
- Minimum Diploma or BA Degree in social studies, rural development, Gender and Development Studies or other related fields. At least 2-5 years extensive experience in management of projects specifically related the specific area required. For BA degree 2years and for Diploma 5 years of relevant experience is required.
Essential Experience and Skills :
- At least 2 years’ relevant experience in INGOs.
- Ability to set clear objectives and indicators; regularly plan project activities and implement, monitor, ensure quality of work and follow up on spending; comply to compliance requirements
- Experience of developing collaborative partnerships with organizations ;
- Proficient in computer applications (word, spreadsheet, power points, Office 365 etc.).
Behavioural Competencies :
- Teamwork skill; Result oriented; resilient under stressful environment; self-managed, committed, knowledgeable and confident.
How to Apply
Females are encouraged to apply.
- A covering letter outlining your suitability for the role, including your expected salary.
- An updated curriculum vitae (CV) not more than 4 pages, with a minimum of two referees, including your most recent line manager.
- Send your application by email to [email protected] before the closing date. Indicate the vacancy reference No. and the post you are applying in subject line of your mail .