About PCI and RIPA Project:
Founded in 1961, PCI is an international non-profit organization dedicated to enhancing health, ending hunger, overcoming hardship, and advance women and girls around the world. In 2018, PCI served more than 12 million people in 15 countries across Asia, Africa, and the Americas. During the past 50 years, the organization has served millions more in 14 additional countries. PCI has five decades of experience and demonstrated impact in long-term development and community health, and 40 years of experience managing large-scale US Government (USG) grants, contracts, and cooperative agreements. It manages a portfolio of integrated programming that includes significant projects addressing reproductive, maternal, newborn and child health; food, nutrition, and livelihood security; HIV/AIDS; other diseases; water, sanitation, and hygiene; and humanitarian assistance/disaster risk reduction programs.
The Resilience in Pastoral Areas (RIPA) project in Ethiopia is a multi-million dollar, US Agency for International Development (USAID)-funded project that will improve resilience to enhance food security and inclusive economic growth. This multifaceted activity is expected to be a major component in USAID’s contribution to improving Ethiopia’s ability to withstand major shocks in the pastoral regions, a critical element on the journey to self-reliance. RIPA’s core activities will target 250,000 households (approximately 1.5 million people) in 5 Zones. Specifically, the project will tackle the root causes of vulnerability for lowlands households to withstand and recover from climate and conflict related shocks and stresses. These include weak disaster risk management capacity at different levels, limited livelihood diversification options, poor livestock and crop productivity, weak market linkages, and low levels of nutrition. Implementation focuses on systems change, with a strong learning component to ensure interventions are adapted per the latest data analysis and research. Partnerships with other implementers, donors, the GoE, and the private sector will be essential to reach the scale needed for real systems change.
The MEL Data System expected is a web-based MEL data management system expected to be hosted on cloud (Azure) and users will have different privileges to access the data. The system will be a modular system so that it will be easy to add other functions as needed in the future. Most data collected will be uploaded as data files from electronic surveys and monitoring checklists using mobile devices.
System should include data disaggregation features (by beneficiary, location, assistance types and others as deemed necessary to track it) and feature of importing data from excel and Kobo toolbox and other digital data collection platforms and GPS coordinates. Additionally, the system should include periodic (monthly, quarterly, and annual) data tracking feature which summarizes data periodically as provided in disaggregation sections. Furthermore, the system should provide performance monitoring with features like filtering and highlighting areas of under/over performance that require attention. The system should also permit entering and saving records offline, including offline data backup. Data should be able to automatically sync up upon connectivity for timely uploads to the cloud.
The system should generate reports in tabular (%, average, ranking, comparisons) and has interactive visualization/dashboards, display graphs and other visual summary including GIS maps.
System Architecture and Requirements
- System should be a web-based data management system, and it will be hosted on cloud (Azure). It should be accessed on computers and mobile/tablets as well.
- The Architecture of the system should be component based(modular) where the components can be separated or integrated easily. It will help to easily manage and escalate the system.
- The system should provide access from various locations and data should be able to be entered from a mobile device or through a desktop and import data from Excel form and other Microsoft documents
- It is expected that consultant would add more value to our solution by incorporating suggestions and recommendations, which will address Performance, High Availability, Security, Scalability, and Manageability
- The client interface is simply a web browser where the user connects to the system and retrieves the data, Enter data, Edit data, etc.
- The software could not have any flaws or bugs which inadvertently or by design, permit the users to tamper, alter or modify any data without the appropriate permissions.
- Since, bandwidth of the network through which the application is going to be used is low; the software developed must run optimally (page load time below 30 seconds) on a PC or Tablet or Mobile connected to a network with minimum network bandwidth of 56 kbps.
- The system developed must be compatible with and well rendered in Microsoft Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, safari and other browsers
- The system must run on any screen sizes. Using modern UI frameworks for responsive design is highly recommended
- The ability to function in an “occasionally connected” basis where electricity and internet are not always available, including the ability to collect and enter data offline that can be synced where there is internet service
- Ability to integrate with mobile data collection tools like KoBo ToolBbox, ODK and others
- Ability to integrate with other technologies and platforms such as Microsoft PowerBI, GIS and mapping platforms, and statistical software packages
- Ability to export data in the form of Excel or CSV file.
- Ability to combine data from multiple sources for analysis and visualization
- An administrative module that allows a trained administrator to make basic changes to the system through configuration (without code), such as create new data fields, add options to a drop-down list, create new system users and define access levels for those users
- Languages- the system should allow data in different languages.
- Survey forms in English, Somaligna, Oromiffa and/or Amharic
- Administrator module in English
- Reports and dashboards primarily in English, possibly in Oromiffa
The scope of the work includes key features of the system expected to be included in the design and listed below;
- Meet with key RIPA South staff to validate system requirements, including gathering user stories, implementation plans and priorities, and an expected timeline
- Orient the PCI team on the platform and work together to develop MEL data management system.
- In collaboration with RIPA South MEL/CLA team, propose a budget friendly MEL data management system based on the requirements.
- Identify database platform to configure and set-up, including users, access levels, interfaces
- Define and document data storage, backup, and cleaning procedures
- Develop and document data security and privacy protocols in accordance with data protection policies
- Connect stored data to visualization and reporting applications, such as Power BI, ArcGIS, or other.
- Train PCI staffs on the established data management system (how the data should be entered, stored, retrieved, shared, visualized and etc)
- In collaboration with RIPA South MEL/CLA team, conduct system testing to ensure system meets expectations regarding development/configuration
The deliverables from the consultant are listed below
- Final validated, system requirements document and timeline
- System design documents, based on requirements, that details cloud hosting, data security and privacy, workflow and data flow diagrams, system architecture diagrams, data dictionary, code, and user roles and access levels.
- Beta version for user acceptance testing (UAT).
- Final system deployed to end users
- Training materials/manuals for the operation of the data management system
How to Apply
Interested and qualified applicants can collect a detail Terms of Reference and A System requirement document by sending a request e-mail to [email protected] or by picking them from PCI/GC Office around Meskel Flower Hotel, Aster Plaza 7 th Floor during working hours. The deadline to submit an application letter, Financial and Narrative proposals is on or before Augest 05, 2021 in a sealed envelope.