Position: chief of Party (COP)
Reports to: Country Representative
Duty Station; Addis Ababa
EngenderHealth is seeking expressions of interest from highly qualified candidates for the Chief of Party position on an anticipated USAID project in Ethiopia. Ethiopian nationals are strongly encouraged to apply. The position is subject to change based on procurement requirements and is contingent upon EngenderHealth being awarded the project and availability of funds.
EngenderHealth envisions a gender-equal world where all people achieve their sexual and reproductive health and rights. We believe this is essential for ensuring all people can achieve their full potentials. To achieve this vision, we implement high-quality, gender-equitable programs that advance sexual and reproductive health and rights
The Chief of Party (COP) will provide overall leadership and strategic direction for the project. They will serve as key personnel and fulfill the diverse managerial requirements of the project, including maintaining the relationship with the USAID Mission and working in collaboration with the Ethiopian Ministry of Health. Based in Addis Ababa, the COP will have technical, financial and management responsibility for all activities and personnel and will be EngenderHealth’s representative to the USAID in Ethiopia. The COP will have overall responsibility for addressing award related matters, including managerial and fiscal responsibility for the project including ensuring compliance with donor and EngenderHealth regulations, policies, and procedures. They will oversee program implementation, provide technical vision, and approach and manage the project team and consortium members. They will have direct responsibility for supervision of select key personnel. They will be responsible for the smooth implementation of the project, and for effectively addressing challenges that arise during performance. They will be responsible for quality implementation and ensuring the project is ethically implemented. They will be responsible for timely and accurate delivery of all reports and project products and ensure that systems are in place to mitigate the risk of fraud, waste, and abuse. This position is contingent upon donor approval and funding.
- Provide leadership and expertise in the development and implementation of healthcare initiatives that deliver sustainable results.
- Lead the overall planning, implementation, strategic direction, and management of the project in close coordination with the Ethiopian government, USAID, and other USAID implementing partners, as well as the achievement of the goals and objectives of the project in a timely and cost-effective manner with adherence to technical quality standards and donor guidelines.
- Provide first-class leadership to all aspects of the project management including development and submission of detailed work plans, budgets, performance frameworks, monitoring and evaluation plans, procurement and supply management plan and human resource management.
- Provide strategic leadership and technical and managerial direction to ensure the project is evidence-based and responsive to the needs of marginalized and hard to reach Ethiopian communities while meeting donor expectations.
- Oversee a team of senior technical and program management project staff and ensure strong communication and coordination with and between all team members, and with EngenderHealth’s regional and global technical advisors.
- Build, strengthen and sustain critical relationships with Ethiopia’s Ministry of Health, local government authorities, USAID, USG-funded implementing partners, private sector, and other key players in the efforts to maximize prudent resource utilization, minimize duplication of efforts, coordinate regularly with them on project updates and results, and attend relevant technical working groups and conferences as required.
- Ensure the project is implemented in a fiscally responsible manner and in full compliance with all laws, regulations, policies and procedures of USAID, Government of Ethiopia, and EngenderHealth.
- Manage all USAID requirements for project implementation, including effective utilization of the resources to achieve project deliverables.
- Provide leadership in preparation and timely submission of project reports to donor and government as per agreement and directives.
- Present project’s progress, achievements and lessons learned to donors, government other key stakeholders through various platforms including meetings, technical working groups and conferences in compliance to terms and conditions of the award.
- Lead the discussion with the government of Ethiopia on the sustainability and transition of project for local ownership.
- Proactively manage relationship with consortium members and addresses any partnership issues as the need arises.
- Manage all risks that may adversely affect project implementation and achievement of goals and outcomes.
- Strengthen the capacity of and transfer skills to local staff to independently implement, manage and improve business practice and technical services.
- Maintain a close relationship with stakeholders working in RMNCAH in Ethiopia.
- Represent EngenderHealth to USAID, external organizations, and the Ethiopian government.
EDUCATION AND EXPEREINCE
- Master’s Degree in public health, social sciences, or related advanced degree in a related field.
- Minimum of 10 years of progressively increasing responsibility in managing successful international development assistance and health programs of similar scope in the area of RMNCAH in Ethiopia.
- Demonstrated understanding of the RMNCAH landscape and knowledge of Ethiopia MOH and USG health initiatives in Ethiopia.
- Demonstrated capacity in managing for results.
- Working knowledge of and/or experience with USG-funded programs, with experience as COP or Deputy COP preferred.
- Proven record of building teams and fostering collaboration to achieve program goals, meet program milestones, and produce quality program results.
- Demonstrated in-depth knowledge of RMNCAH, and experience in the design and implementation of RMNCAH programs, at scale.
- Demonstrated leadership skills in working collaboratively with other donors, host country institutions and international organizations.
- Excellent past performance references.
- Demonstrated leadership in working and collaborating with other donors and a wide range of USAID and other donor-funded organizations.
- Fluency in English required.
- Demonstrated capacity in priority management and landscape analysis.
ESSENTIAL SOFT SKILLS
- Committed to EngenderHealth’s core organizational values of reflection, inclusion, integrity, respect, and transformation.
- Excellent negotiation skills with demonstrated capacity for negotiating with senior government officials or executives.
- Excellent diplomacy skills and a proven ability to establish and maintain interpersonal and professional relationships with USAID, host-country counterparts, and representatives from other key stakeholders such as NGOs, CSOs, and the private sector.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
PREFERRED SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND FUNCTIONS
- Relevant experience in Ethiopia.
- Ability to travel up to 35% in country and internationally as required.