ROLE PURPOSE: The construction officer is responsible to Lead and Facilitate integrated/joint school and community WASH & Infrastructure facilities(schemes) resources and capacity assessment & implementation works including planning, targeting, feasibility study, implementation and monitoring of construction activities in collaboration with CHILD SFP and other SCI staffs.
S/He will be responsible to facilitate and ensuring timely delivery of CHILD SFP (Comprehensive Home-grown, Inclusive, Learning and Development School Feeding Project) related WASH & Infrastructure construction activities along with the standard operation procedures (SOP) of SCI. The post holder is responsible to implement those activities at the response words as well as liaising with local government, field office team /Woreda level platforms where CHILD SFP project is operational.
The Construction officer is also responsible to map school infrastructure for School Feeding program (temporary, semi-permanent and permanent Kitchens) and upgrade and/or construct low cost school kitchens whereby the community take part in contribution of labour and locally available construction materials.
Generally, S/He will facilitate the CHILD SFP construction projects implementation in the field office where the project is intervening. In close coordination with the WASH & Infrastructure staffs will be responsible to provide technical input, conduct assessments, participate in the preparation of schemes design, BOQ, cost estimate, material breakdown and appraisal process & will conduct periodic supervision and organize review meetings, as well as capacity building to partners to ensure the CHILD SFP WASH interventions to be of high quality and achieves the programme objectives.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
- Lead and Facilitate integrated/joint school and community WASH resource and capacity assessment & implementation works including planning, targeting, feasibility study, implementation and monitoring of the activities in collaboration with CHILD SFP and other SCI staffs.
- ·Actively participate on WaSH & project related schemes designing, BOQ development and appraisal process.
- Map school infrastructure (temporary, semi-permanent and permanent Kitchens) and upgrade and/or construct low cost school kitchens whereby the community take part in contribution of labor and locally available construction materials.
- Makes regular follow-up and monitoring of projects to ensure proper and efficient implementation of WASH & SF related infrastructure construction.
- Strongly engage with sector offices and local administration on the course of rolling out planned WaSH & School feeding related construction activities.
- Participate and provide technical support to conduct training for water committee, caretakers, and operators, H&S promotion where appropriate
- Initiate construction procurement process like tender/BID document preparation, supplier vetting, invitation to tender, eligibility screening, competent bid analysis, negotiation and construction contract Award process!
- Proactively work with local partners for timely site handover and construction work commencement
- Implement save the children construction monitoring, risk assessment and construction quality benchmark tools and standards.
- Produce various construction monitoring and training reports.
- Facilitate timely preparation of take-off sheet and payment certificate with support of project and other staffs.
- Ensure constructed schemes are of gender segregated and disability friendly (water schemes, latrines, handwashing stations, kitchens etc.).
- Coordinate pre handover joint quality tests/quality assurance intervention with government stakeholders and SCI technical experts.
- Lead smooth hand over process for completed WaSH & School feeding related construction facilities.
- Provide inputs during the course of project development, budgeting, etc.
- Perform any other relevant duties assigned by supervisor.
- Identifies critical issues in the implementation of projects and takes the necessary actions to address problems and constraints.
- Facilitates and ensures the involvement of children in all projects work as primary stakeholders
- Provide weekly update, monthly and quarterly report to the SF manager & other concerned SCI staffs
- Ensure proper management of all Save the Children resources (equipment, supplies, vehicle and fuel) committed to the project.
- The post holder will comply with all relevant Save the Children Policies and procedures with respect to Child Safe Guarding, Human Trafficking and Modern Slavery, Fraud Bribery and Corruption, and Code of Conduct.
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
Future orientated, thinks strategically
Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters
Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
Willing to take disciplined risks
Honest, encourages openness and transparency
- BSc degree in Hydraulics, Water Resources Engineering, Environmental Health, Construction Management or Environmental Health related field
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Minimum of 2 years Direct work experience in the area of emergency WASH out of which at least 1 year in humanitarian response
- Experience in working with in hygiene and sanitation promotions. This includes technical support, capacity building and coordination.
- Excellent understanding of Emergency WASH issues in Ethiopia/Region at both field and policy levels.
- Experience in implementing Emergency WASH project.
- Good presentation, training and facilitation skills
- Good communication and interpersonal skills and an ability to train and mentor staff
- Proven ability to manage a complex and demanding workload
- Good spoken and written English,
- Good computer and report writing skill
- Experience working in NGOs on emergency WASH is an added advantage