TechnoServe, Inc. is an international non-profit economic development organization founded in 1968. Its mission is to help entrepreneurial men and women in poor areas of the developing world to build businesses that create income, opportunity and economic growth for their families, communities and countries. For more information, visit www.technoserve.org .
TechnoServe has assisted over 200,000 smallholder coffee households in East Africa to improve their incomes by increasing the quality of the coffee they produce, boosting their coffee production and linking them to premium markets. One key component of its program design is ensuring processor sustainability through verification auditing. TechnoServe’s Sustainability Standards address five pillars of sustainability: social responsibility and ethics, occupational health and safety, economic transparency, environmental responsibility, and production and farm management. The first four pillars address sustainability at the processor level (e.g., wet mill, dry mill); the fifth pillar addresses sustainability on the farms of producers within the supply chain
I. PRIMARY PURPOSE AND FUNCTION
Perform sustainability verification audits of selected mills and farm sites throughout Ethiopia (mainly in the South and Oromia region). In-country oversite will be provided by the Coffee Sustainability Program Manager. The Program Manager will also provide overall management (time sheet, travel approval, etc.) during the engagement period.
Expected level of effort (LOE) is dependent on number of mills processing and the creation of the auditing plan. Current assumption is ~30 days of LOE from November through December 2020; exact days will be confirmed during contracting phase.
II. DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Responsibilities and duties include, but are not limited to, the following
• Participate on mill and farm audit trainings supported with practical pre-testing at the field level
• Perform audits at specified wet mills and farm audits with randomized farmers that deliver to the mill; there will be about 110 mill audits and roughly 330 farmer audits (exact number of mill and farmer audits to be confirmed once audit plan completed).
• Complete audits on tablet; raise any issues with tablet usage (logic, glitches, errors) asap with manager in order to trigger any necessary audit system corrections
• Ensure accuracy of results through detailed comments and proper review of audit answers; flag any major issues you see at the mill if cause for concern (i.e. issues with talking to employees independently, viewing records, etc.)
• Ensure the mill and farm audit surveys are clean, free of error and submission of clean data to the system has to be performed in a daily basis
• Ensure the audit data has to be submitted daily
• Ensure the tablet that will be issued is returned to the responsible person in good condition once the audit exercise is completed and all the data synced to the system
• Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field – business, agriculture, the sciences, economics, etc.
• At least three years’ professional experience: coffee processing or agronomy, agri-business, business administration, cooperative management, agriculture, training or extension;
• Previous TechnoServe Wet Mill Business Advisor or Certification Auditor preferred
• Strong planning skills and experience working to strict time-guidelines
• Willingness to spend significant time in rural areas
• Excellent English oral & written skills
• Knowledge of local language Afan Oromo is a requirement
• Computer and tablet literacy
How to Apply
Qualified and interested applicants should Click here to apply for this position and submit a cover letter and resume as a single document (either Word or PDF) by November 22, 2021. Applications will be reviewed and considered as received/on a rolling basis. Please identify the position for which you are applying in the subject line. Only applicants meeting minimum qualifications will be contacted. Please note that we are not accepting CVs that are not sent through the indicated link.
TechnoServe is an equal opportunity employer. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
TechnoServe has the right to cancel this advertisement.