Organizational Overview: The Clinton Health Access Initiative (CHAI) is currently operating in Ethiopia carrying out a wide range of programs to support the Ministry of Health of Ethiopia in improving the health status of the country by ensuring access and quality of health services. We are committed to increasing our effectiveness through an innovative programming approach that optimizes quality, impact and scale. Being the largest CHAI field office worldwide, we currently employ over 150 staff working in the following nine programs: , Maternal, Newborn and Child Health (MNH), HIV, Lab Services, Vaccines, Global Health Financing, Child Survival, Caner, Human Resource for Health, Woreda Transformation Programs.
JOB SUMMARY: Under the supervision and guidance of the Senior Cold chain technician and senior vaccine program manager, the cold chain technician will provide both management and technical support to EPSA and respective hubs on cold chain maintenance and management. The cold chain technician/ biomedical engineer will support planning, implementation and monitoring of cold chain equipment installation, maintenance & repair activities and improve the functionality of the cold chain equipment (refrigerators, cold rooms refrigerated trucks, remote temperature monitoring devices and generators), at EPSA main office and its hubs.
In addition, the cold chain technician/Biomedical engineer will support capacity building activities on cold chain maintenance and management for targeted universities/Biomedical engineering departments and RHBs/ZHOs.
Duty station : AA, and Jimma with frequent travel (more than 80% of the time) to targeted EPSA hubs, RHBs, Zonal health offices and universities.
REPORTS TO: Vaccine, Senior Cold chain technician
Support the targeted EPSA hubs, regional health bureau, Zonal health offices and Universities to plan, and implement cold chain equipment maintenance:
- Conduct regular preventive and corrective maintenance of cold rooms, generators & refrigerators, refrigerated trucks, and remote temperature monitoring devices
- Build capacity of cold chain technicians and cold room managers through on the job-training and regular supportive supervision
- Support forecasting, availability and proper stock management of the cold chain materials and spare parts.
- Provide cold chain maintenance training for senior and mid-level cold chain technicians.
- Support establishment of proper documentation on recording & reporting systems on cold chain maintenance and temperature monitoring and control activities
- Support coordination and integration of EPSA hubs and RHBs/ZHOs cold chain maintenance activities.
- Support RHBs/ZHOs planning, implementation and monitoring of the cold chain management and maintenance activities
- Work with respective CHAI regional immunization coordinators
- Submit, weekly, monthly and quarterly reports on the implementation and monitoring of the above activities to senior cold chain technician the vaccine team M&E officer and SPM/PM .
- Execute any additional tasks as advised by the supervisor.
Qualification and experiences:
- Bachelor of degree or above in Biomedical, or Electrical engineering with two and above years of professional experience on cold chain equipment maintenance
- Diploma in Biomedical Equipment Technician or Electrical Equipment Technician with 5+ years professional work experience
- In-service training (3 months and above) focused on basic refrigeration technology, installation and maintenance of refrigerator, cold room and air conditioner is an advantages
Knowledge Skills and abilities:
- Strong relationship management, project management, and documentation skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent computer skills, including MS Word, Excel, and Power point
- Humility and willingness to work hard in difficult conditions, patience with bureaucracy
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to work in a high-pressure, fast-paced environment and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Ability to set and meet and deadlines
- Comfortable working in a diverse setting with varied cultures
Language skills :
- Fluency in English, and Amharic. For Jimma station regional language skill is an advantage.
How to Apply