WaterAid (WAE) is the only WASH-focused INGO in Ethiopia. We have a strong reputation for our technical experience in rural WASH service delivery and working with local government. We are known for using evidence to inform policy development, playing a critical role during the development of the WASH Implementation Framework and the OWNP, the Integrated Urban Sanitation and Hygiene Strategy, the Hygiene and Environmental Health Strategy, and the National School WASH Strategy.
WaterAid has worked in Ethiopia since 1991, initially working through the development wing of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church and the Natural Resources Bureau of Oromia Region, before establishing WaterAid Ethiopia. In the last Country Strategy period, 2011-2016, with an annual budget of £4m, working in partnership with local NGOs to reach 1.4 million people with WASH, we focused on six over-arching themes: Sustainability – particularly addressing a high level of non-functionality of water supplies.
WaterAid launched in 2015 its Global Strategy, which envisions a world where everyone, everywhere has access to safe water and sanitation by 2030. WaterAid Ethiopia (WAE) follows a programmatic approach that encompasses service delivery demonstration, capacity development, advocacy/influencing and continues learning. WaterAid clearly prioritizes “doing some and influencing the rest” – based on what we deliver and learn from the field level we amplify and replicate lessons and influence key sector actors through the different National and Regional platforms. To support our ability to capture programmatic learning WaterAid looks at hiring an experienced Communication Specialist for one year with possibility of extension based in Addis Ababa with frequent travel.
Roles and Responsibilities :* Leads efforts to document lessons from WAE systems strengthening initiatives at woreda, Regional and National level
* Lead and advice on media campaign activities focusing on equity and inclusion and MHM at National level
* Provides technical support to documentation, learning and dissemination efforts in relation to sustainable service delivery models, district and national systems support initiative.
* Provides advice to ensure WAE adherence to WA’s Learning and Communications policies.
* Support in the dissemination of learning briefs to WaterAid staff and external target groups through publications, web posts, webinars, briefing papers, learning workshops, and other relevant and innovative means.
* Supports and facilitate regular implementation of WASH Movement Learning Forums, System strengthening action research platforms and the Water and Sanitation Forum.
* Ensures publications and other knowledge products are disseminated by WAE meet WA standards and review procedures.
* Plans, organizes and records WASH sector workshops and events in Ethiopia, and leads in disseminating results and findings.
* Establishes and manages a photo & video library for WAE to support programme learning and knowledge dissemination.
* Ensures WAE research and knowledge products are effectively disseminated, including through the media and other means in Ethiopia, to maximize impact.
Job Requirements :
Education :* BA & MA in English Language, Journalism, Development Communication or related social science fields.
Experience and Technical Skills :
* 7- 10 years of work experience
* Broad understanding and experience, preferably NGO experience, in communications, research, and in the WASH sector etc.
* Demonstrated technical ability, sound judgment, and ability to work effectively with others at all levels.
* Excellent facilitation, communication and presentation skill, ability to synthesize information from different sources and present information – orally and in writing – to users.
* Fluent Amharic (written and spoken); excellent to fluent written and spoken English; abilities in other Ethiopian languages an asset.
* Relevant computer skills (publisher and other designing skills)
How to Apply
How to Apply :
Application Procedure :* Applicants are required to send their application letter and CV via ethiojobs until 03 May 2019.
* Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.