- Help us end avoidable blindness in Ethiopia.
- Assist us to strengthen local health systems.
- A new country strategy built on true partnerships.
- Leading International Development Organization in the area of eye health
- 1 position based in Addis Ababa.
The Fred Hollows Foundation is a development organization working in more than 25 countries. We help train and empower local eye doctors, nurses and health workers to create a sustainable system of care in the communities that need it most. The work we do has a very clear purpose: to make sure everyone, whether they are rich or poor, has access to high quality, affordable eye health.
We focus on preventable and treatable diseases such as cataract, trachoma and diabetic retinopathy. Our in-country work involves local training and providing affordable technology, so doctors, nurses and health care workers can recognize, diagnose, refer and treat eye problems in their communities. We use research to improve our understanding of avoidable blindness, then use our findings to implement strategies and advocate for change.
As part of our global efforts to eliminate blindness, The Fred Hollows Foundation (FHF) has been working in Ethiopia (the world’s most trachoma-endemic country) and Eritrea in its effort to eliminate trachoma.
About the Position
Reporting to the Country Director, the Communications Coordinator is accountable for delivering key communications and community engagement activities in Ethiopia. The Communications Coordinator will manage media inquiries about The Fred Hollows Foundation activities, collect case studies to illustrate our work, maintain The Foundation’s and partners’ brand requirements and support internal communications for a large country team.
Specific responsibilities include :
- Travel to the field to document case studies of patients, health workers and partners
- Manage media inquiries about The Foundation’s work and look for proactive opportunities to promote the work of The Foundation and our partners.
- Support writing and coordination of internal Ethiopia country communications under the guidance of the Country Director and other senior staff.
- Manage the branding and communications requirements of key Foundation funding partners to ensure we meet the expectations set out in partners agreements.
- Work with The Foundation’s team in Australia to coordinate high-level media and communications visits to document The Foundation’s work.
- Participate in the development and execution of public engagement strategies around key projects.
- Work closely with the Regional Communications Coordinator in Africa to develop communications strategies for The Foundation’s key projects in Ethiopia.
To be successful in this role, we are seeking someone with the following experience and skills.
- At least 5 years of working experience in communications roles, including managing media.
- Minimum of BA degree in Journalism and Communications, Public Relations, Language and/or Linguistics or Marketing Experience managing branding issues.
- Experience in documenting case studies of project beneficiaries.
- Experience in managing complex projects or tasks.
- Experience in working with children and parents.
How to Apply
Applications should be made via our website: http://www.hollows.org/au/careers/current-vacancies and should include your resume and cover letter addressing all areas expressed in the ‘experience, skills & attributes’ section of the Role Purpose as well as details of your current and expected salary.
Alternatively, if you would like further information please contact HR Manager Ethiopia, Daniel Jirane via email at [email protected]
Applications close: March 23, 2021
The Fred Hollows Foundation is committed to protecting the rights of children in all areas where we work. Applicants are advised that The Foundation reserves the right to conduct police checks and other screening procedures to ensure we maintain and promote a child-safe environment.
The Fred Hollows Foundation – Ethiopia (FHF-E) has been re-registered and licensed by The Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia Organizations Of Civil Societies in accordance with the Organizations Of Civil Societies Proclamation No.1113/2019 and certificate number 2985, on May 20/2019.
To be eligible to apply for this position you must have the appropriate right to work in Ethiopia.