Doing the right thing. We are active in Switzerland and 20 countries on four continents. Join us with a commitment to help us bring about a more caring society, here in Ethiopia.
CARITAS Switzerland (CaCH) has been working in Ethiopia for more than 30 years. Currently CaCH cooperates with four partners in Ethiopia. CaCH has successfully been registered as an International Non-Government Organization in Ethiopia and has therefore become operational at project implementation level. CaCH’s main working fields are: Agricultural Development, Environment protection, Livelihoods, Food security, WASH as well as Humanitarian responses . Our current working areas are in Southern and Eastern Oromia, SNNPR and Tigray . CaCH supports and implements currently about ten projects in these regions.
Summary of Duties
Execute all natural resource management (NRM) and agronomy related activities and food,security and livelihood (FSLH), nutrition, market development interventions, support cooperatives, income generation groups and small scale irrigation practices, facilitate community sessions, and follow up of activities at grass root levels and ensuring delivery of planned activities with beneficiary communities as per the project plan and time frame.
Main Areas of Responsibility.
Objective 1: Prepare and keep the require up to date project data:
- Socialization, sensitization of the project and organizations;
- Facilitate beneficiary selection and compliant committees;
- Facilitate beneficiary’s registration procedure;
- Provide input and up-date beneficiary data;
- Prepare lists and distribution cards;
- Plan and timely reporting the project progress.
Objective 2: Implement and follow up the NRM, Agriculture and Livelihood Intervention Activities:
- Implement the planned FSLH & NRM activities;
- Determine and update regularly the material needs for the activities;
- Monitor the NRM and FSLH interventions at community level;
- Facilitate the training of the project beneficiaries;
- Set and organize and monitoring systems;
- Produce regular minutes and monthly activity plans as well as other necessary reports.
Objective 3: Develop the understanding of NRM, agriculture and food security in the intervention area:
- Take note of any changes in the socioeconomic and livelihood conditions in the intervention area;
- Identify the actual needs of the most vulnerable populations;
- Propose potential responses to these needs;
- Explain the project’s activities and objectives to partners and communities;
- Handle other responsibilities and tasks apart from the aforementioned ones as per the order of the line managers
Objective 4: Facilitate and follow-up on community and stakeholder (incl. government staffs) participation for activities related to Cooperatives, agriculture, particularly small-scale irrigation, and NRM at all stages of project implementation
- Integrate and coordinate the work of the community and local partners;
- Provide the necessary technical supports to the community;
- Handle other responsibilities and tasks apart from the aforementioned ones as per the order of the line manager.
Duty station will be in Ziway/Batu and Assela/Tiyo districts of East Shewa zone, Oromia Region. The candidate must be ready to be based in kebeles and/ or frequent field trips to project sites.
- Two (2)
- The ideal candidate represents the majority of the below mentioned areas;
- Experience in the field with other organizations in NRM, agricultural practices, small scale irrigation, promotion of cooperatives, livelihood and food security in central rift valley areas and other rural areas of the country;
- Humanitarian repose experiences, Cash for Work (CFW), Cash Transfer Programme (CTP), water management, Livestock, intervention (LEGS)…etc;
- Trained on community facilitation/ Participatory Rural Appraisal (PRA);
- Knowledge of the intervention area and project implementation;
- Organizing communities, participatory approaching, problem resolving capacity and reporting skills
- Based at Kebele level and daily monitor the project intervention
- University Degree in agricultural economics, general agriculture, NRM, Rural development, Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) and/or Climate Change Adaption (CCA), environmental health, development studies, or similar studies;
- Complementary training in community approaching and knowing local context is a plus
- At least 5 years of experience in NRM, agriculture and humanitarian repose, food security and livelihood in an NGO field of experiences.
- Proven experience in field-based community facilitation skills, NRM, agricultural practices, technology transfer interventions is a plus.
- Able to ride Motor bike, therefore a driving license is mandatory or able to provide shortly
- Full command of the Local working language (Oromiffa) and English is Mandatory
How to Apply
Applicants send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) to CARITAS Switzerland Country office or sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for application is 12 August 2019. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Female applicants are highly encouraged to apply.