The Ethiopian Red Cross Society (ERCS) wants to recruit employees in the following vacant positions the details of which are mentioned bellow.
About the Ethiopian Red Cross Society
The Ethiopian Red Cross Society (ERCS) was established in 1935 and is one of the oldest and largest humanitarian organizations in Ethiopia. ERCS provides services to communities affected by natural and manmade disasters through the provision of emergency responses, ambulance and first aid, family reunification, essential drugs, water and sanitation, and other humanitarian services. ERCS also runs disaster risk reduction programs with the aim of creating resilience households and communities. Currently the ERCS has a structure consisting of 11 Regional Offices, 33 Zonal Branches and 131 District/Woreda Branches, 599 Woreda Red Cross Committee and 5871 Kebele Red Cross committees.
Key Performance Areas
- Integrate CEA into National Society strategies, frameworks, policies and plans, setting out how CEA activities and approaches will be implemented while also identifying who is responsible and the necessary budget and timelines.
- Integrate CEA approaches and activities into programme plans and operations, outlining how CEA will be implemented at each stage of the programme or disaster cycle
- Integrate CEA into M&E processes for the programme, ensuring communities are consulted and feedback is regularly collected and documented to understand levels of satisfaction with the project. Programmes should be adapted throughout implementation based on this feedback
- Raise awareness of the importance of CEA with senior management, staff and volunteers through presentations and briefing sessions
- Plan, manage and deliver CEA training to staff and volunteers
- Ensure all staff under His/her management have reviewed the CEA minimum actions, guide and toolkit and that all volunteers have been briefed on and signed the code of conduct
- Play a supportive role during early warning early action protocol development and execution to ensure CEA is integrated throughout the process.
- Participant in joint assessment, monitoring and evaluation of IARP project at field level to to assess l and identify community engagement mechanism appropriate in the local context (where early action is going to be taken)
Participation and feedback
- Ensure programme staff and volunteers have a full understanding of the communities they are working with, including the community dynamics, culture and power relations between different groups
- Ensure, accurate and relevant information regularly shared and discussed timely with communities, about programme activities and progress, using the best communications approaches to engage with different groups
- Develop systems and strategies to be able to Provide communities with opportunities to participate in and guide Red Cross Red Crescent programmes and operations, from assessment through to evaluation
- Ensure all volunteers working on a programme or operation receive basic communication and complaint handling skills training
- Play a leading role on the Development of strong and open relationships with key community stakeholders and establish community committees or representatives if needed, ensuring they fairly represent the full cross-section of the community, including men, women, boys, girls and vulnerable groups
- Ensure selection criteria is discussed with the community and communicated clearly to everyone
- Establish a formal mechanism to capture, monitor, respond to and act on feedback and complaints from communities. This mechanism must be designed with input from community members to ensure it is safe, non-threatening, and accessible to all (including women and men, boys and girls, and vulnerable and marginalised groups)
Information as aid
- Ensure assessments include questions on peoples’ information needs and preferred communication approaches
- Based on community feedback and assessment data, identify and utilise the best communication approaches to provide communities with relevant and actionable life-saving and life-enhancing information
- Carry out regular checks as part of monitoring to ensure information shared with communities is understood, relevant and useful and update as necessary
Behavior and social change communication
- Based on community feedback and assessment data, identify and utilise the best communication approaches to support communities to address and change unhealthy and unsafe practices
- Supports programmes and operations to adopt innovative approaches to better understand and engage with communities on key health and behaviour change issues
- Carry out regular checks as part of monitoring to ensure behaviour and social change approaches are appropriate and having an impact on communities and adapt as necessary
- Support communities to identify the key issues that affect them and raise these with decision and policy-makers
- Represent the needs of communities at meetings and workshops with decision and policy-makers
Reporting to : –
- Disaster Preparedness and Response Dep’t
Terms of employment:-
- Contract for one year
Place of Work: –
- Addis Ababa with frequent travel to the project areas
- MA/ BA degree in Sociology, social science or related fields
- At least 4 years for MA degree or 6 years for BA degree professional experience in managing community based programs /projects.
- Willing to give voluntary service to the society with his/her own initiative.
- Experience in mobilizing communities during new program /project development
- Experienced on monitoring an follow up of implementing program activities
- Ability to work with local communities diverse cultural context
- Ability to adapt with any tools and mechanisms
- Experienced on advocacy for community voice
- Experienced with manual, mechanisms and tools development.
- Excellent command of English (oral and written)
How to Apply
We invite candidates meeting the required qualifications to fill out the employment application form from the official website of the Ethiopian Red Cross in vacancy menu http://www.redcrosseth.org/get-involved/vacancy and email to email@example.com before the closing date of this announcement on August 20, 2019.
Qualified women are strongly recommended to apply!
Please note that we ONLY consider those who filled in the application form and send us back. We regret to inform that we do not accept CV at this stage.