Under the supervision of the Community Wellbeing Initiative senior and Field Manager, the GBV Assistant will supervise the response and prevention of GBV. The GBV Assistant will train and supervise refugee social workers and community workers to respond and ensure effective of GBV activities in camps. This includes providing ongoing training and mentorship for social workers and utilizing monitoring and evaluation systems to ensure high quality services. As survivors of gender-based violence tend to have multiple needs, the GBV will continuously attend coordination with partners from the protection, health, legal, and psychosocial sectors committed to reducing the incidence of violence against women. The GBV Assistant will also establish and maintain networks with community leaders, women leaders, service providers and camp management to ensure that women and girls receive compassionate support from the community.
- Monitor & supervise GBV activities, including capacity building through training, mentorship, and on-the-job training of social workers to provide GBV related topics.
- Build a relationship with all relevant GBV program partners (health, legal, protection, psychosocial) in camp and the local community to encourage greater communication, teamwork, and coordination among partners from the protection, health, legal, and psychosocial sectors.
- Provide GBV related trainings for the legal, health, protection, and psychosocial sectors in collaboration with CWI Senior Officer.
- Work with partners to develop and implement standard operating procedures and supervise referral pathway to ensure easy access to all GBV services.
- Prepare and submit weekly, monthly and 3-month work plans in a timely manner and incorporate feedback of CWI officer.
- Design, implement, and monitor group psychosocial support activities to build informal support networks among women and girls.
- Update outreach materials, trainings and other materials to include SASA! Methodologies as well as other relevant methodologies.
- Collaborate with GBV officers to coordinate awareness raising events, including mass awareness events and ensure response related topics covered in events.
- Compile and submit weekly and monthly reports to CWI Senior Officer.
- Develop and review activity and spending plans for new grants.
- Deal with human resource issues as needed: hire social workers, conduct performance evaluations, and terminate staff as needed.
- Estimate quarterly program purchase requests and monthly cash projections according to the field requirements and submit requests on time.
- Monitor supply and logistical needs of project and ensure adherence to all relevant IRC logistic policies, including management of materials in the warehouse.
- Any other task designated by the GBV Manager/senior officers and Field Manager to ensure proper functioning of the GBV Program.
- BA/BSc degree or Diploma in Social Work, Sociology, Psychology, Public Health, Nursing, Women’s Studies. Or related field. With 2 years of relevant work experience for diploma holders.
- Clear understanding of gender, power abuse, and issues surrounding violence against women.
- Able to maintain medical ethics, confidentiality and respect for client at all times.
- Experience in participatory techniques and community mobilization
- Ability to lead, train, supervise, facilitate and motivate other GBV field workers in their respective tasks in a professional, respectful and supportive manner.
- Positive and professional attitude, able to organize, maintain composure and prioritize work under pressure, work over-time when needed and able to coordinate multiple tasks and maintain attention to detail.
- Ability to work as a member of a team essential.
- Fluency in Somali required.
- Ability to communicate well in English as well as write clear and concise reports in English.
- Must be computer literate, including Microsoft word, excel, and power-point.