Ethiopian Veterinary Association (EVA) is an autonomous non-for-profit professional membership organization in Ethiopia, established on June 22, 1974 through the initiative of 13 visionary veterinarians. The association is a member of the World Veterinary Association. It has a mandate of promoting and strengthening the veterinary profession, respect professional ethics and code of conduct, and above all to safe guard the right of veterinarians. Moreover, EVA has been contributing to the emergence of efficient, effective and competitive livestock industry in Ethiopia. The association is dedicated to policy advocacy, development, promotion, and dissemination of knowledge and good practices in the livestock sector and serving the interest of the society.
The association is registered and accorded legal personality with Registry Number 0495 as local organization in accordance with the Civil Society Organizations Proclamation no. 1113/2019 (First registration occurred in 2009). The association has close to 2000 members involved in different sectors of the profession.
EVA has been publishing scientific information to its local and global readers through its official scientific organ, Ethiopian Veterinary Journal. The Ethiopian Veterinary Journal (Ethiop. Vet. J.) is a multidisciplinary peer-reviewed scientific journal of The Ethiopian Veterinary Association intended to promote animal health and production of national and regional/international importance. The journal publishes review articles, original research articles, short communication as well as technical notes. The journal has so far successfully published 24 volumes.
Currently the Ethiopian Veterinary Association (EVA) is seeking to recruit competent professional on contractual basis as a Part timer for the position of Editorial Assistant for its scientific organ – EVJ .
Under general supervision of the editor-in-chief and secretariat of EVA, the editorial assistant will be responsible to assist the editor-in-chief in the correspondence with authors, review and outlining of the Journal, Proceedings, Bulletin and related publications, maintains consistent contact with manuscript authors, reviewers and editors; performs administrative, editorial, data and word processing duties. The duties of the editorial assistant, therefore, will be the following:
- In collaboration with EVA secretariat and EVJ editor-in-chief determine the institutions and contributors to be liaised for the required documentations, presentations and relevant publishable materials
- In collaboration with the EVA manager and EVJ Editorial Board and in consultation of the EVA executive board, define the design, outline and detailed contents of the Proceedings and the Bulletin and categorical structures of the scripts including set up of covers and columns;
- Editing and preparing articles for publication; converting manuscripts to proper formatting for publication;
- Entering manuscript information into a database and monitoring status; preparing and maintaining manuscript review files;
- Identify guest reviewers, follow-up with authors in the peer review process regarding manuscript revisions; ensuring deadlines are met; Assist authors, reviewers and editors by responding to their queries (troubleshooting routine manuscript issue) through email or web portal, and if need arises through phone;
- Maintaining and updating journal operation process workflow as required;
- Assisting in identifying and communicating with potential reviewers;
- Assist the editor-in-chief in editing and proof reading of Journal manuscripts as per the Journal Guideline
- Assisting the EVA secretariat in reviewing and selection of papers submitted for presentation on the EVA conference and liaise with presenters to submit full word documents for proceedings;
- Collect keynotes, speeches and electronic copies of presented materials (word docs/power points) and other relevant items to be used for the preparation of annual conference proceedings
- Collect, organize and manage/edit presentations and papers submitted by contributors and the EVA secretariat
- Reviewing and editing articles submitted for publication on EVA Bulletin / Newsletter
- Assisting the EVA secretariat in the outline arrangement, formatting and design of the EVA Bulletin / newsletter
- Documenting and maintaining database of articles submitted to the Journal, proceedings and bulletin;
- Corresponding with authors, reviewers, editors and maintain addresses of authors and journals;
- Protecting the confidentiality of every author’s work;
- Perform other duties as assigned by the EVA secretariat.
Terms of employment :
A part time contractual job for one year with possible extension
Required qualifications and skills
- MSc or above in veterinary science or related field. Preference is given to veterinarians with graduate degree in veterinary sciences;
- Excellent English language proficiency (written and verbal);
- At least ten years of teaching and/or research experience in the areas of veterinary science in higher learning institutions and/or research institutions
- A minimum of 10 published articles in reputable journals, where he/she was corresponding author in at least five of the articles;
- Excellent computer skills with various software programs
- Proven experience in editing and proofreading skills; previous experience on similar role will be preferable;
- Organizational skills especially the ability to prioritize, meet deadlines and handling multiple task
- Known to practice professional Ethics and Integrity
- Capable of engagement in group work
How to Apply
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, copies of credentials and curriculum vitae through the following addresses.
Applications can be made through either of the following means
- Through email: [email protected] , [email protected] , [email protected]
- Postal address: Ethiopian Veterinary Association, Secretariat Office, P.O. Box: 2462, Addis Ababa
- In person to
- Ethiopian Veterinary Association, Secretariat Office
- Yeka Sub City, Woreda 07, Togo Avenue Street, Around British Embassy
For more information please call: Phone No. +251 11 5525020 / +251 11 8697868, or visit our web site: https://www.eva-ethiopia.org/
Applicants need to apply within 10 working days from the date of advertisement.