SCOPE: This position is for emergency health response pool where standby staff are deployed for various emergency responses with short notice, usually less than a week.
Under the direct supervision of Health manager/Health Specialist/Senior Emergency health officer, the Emergency Health and nutrition Officer is responsible for the day to day management and interventions of the emergency health response undertaken by IRC Ethiopia in different regions based on the type of emergency. The position holder will monitor, supervise and couch the health team members and health staff in targeted health facilities in the project implementation sites. He/she will work with the IRC Health team and other officers within the field office and woreda health office to enhance their participation and involvement in prevention, awareness creation and capacity building of woreda based government health staffs.
DETAILED RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS :
- Lead emergency health team during emergency responses
- Ensure availability of necessary items and supplies for emergency health intervention
- Conduct all activities planned under the project in a timely manner and in accordance with the budget allocated
- Ensure that the health team is adhered to the MOH/WHO protocols and guidelines
- Support mobilization of communities and ensure that the emergency intervention is in accordance with IRC and government guidelines.
- Participate in health assessments in assigned woreda when needed
- Provide and/or facilitate trainings and workshops as per the project work plan
- Identify and involve all key stakeholders in the woreda on a regular basis
· Support woreda health office in strengthening surveillance system at facility and community level.
· Provide support in developing and implementation of a community based communication strategy
· Work closely with staff from other sectors to ensure integrated approach in program implementation in his/her woreda.
· Represent IRC and participate in woreda and zonal level coordination meetings
· Prepare monthly/quarterly/annual project reports
· Monitor the implementation of the project as per the plan and analyze project data for timely decision making
· Has capacity to work independently with little support
Perform any other tasks assigned by supervisor
· Minimum of 3 years of proven experience for first degree and 2 years of relevant experience for postgraduate degree holders in Public health or nursing
· Related work experiences, preferably in emergency responses such as cholera or measles.
· Demonstrable experience in working with communities, and knowledge of participatory approaches.
· Committed and strong attitude towards community empowerment.
· Strong inter-personal skills with a proven ability to work as a team member under difficult conditions.
· Good knowledge of MOH/WHO guidelines on emergency health and nutrition
· Good understanding of the assignment area cultural context
· Knowledge of local language of assignment is an asset
· Skill on computer MS word, MS power point and MS excel is must
· Availability with short notice for deployment
· Ability to work under pressure, long work hours and high workload.
· Self-motivated, honest, highly responsible, and punctual.
· Ability to work as part of a team as well as to work autonomously when required.
· Ability to constructively address gaps and weaknesses.
· Willingness to be relocated to different emergency locations with short notice