BACKGROUND: The International Rescue Committee, one of the world’s largest humanitarian international NGOs, provides relief, rehabilitation and development support to vulnerable people and communities over 30 countries. We began work in Ethiopia in 2000 in response to severe drought in Ethiopia’s Somali region and are currently providing assistance to Ethiopians and refugees in six regions in Ethiopia, implementing emergency and development programs in health, water and sanitation, economic recovery and development (ERD), women’s protection and empowerment, education, child protection, and multi-sectoral emergency response.
Emergency Health Officer is responsible for proper implementation of Emergency Health and nutrition services targeting for children and adult provided at MHNT sites. She/he will work closely with MHNT Team leader, MHNT Midwife nurse and Senior health officer based in Shire/Adi-Harush. Supporting the MHNT team leader in liaising with woreda health office to enhance their participation and involvement in prevention, awareness creation and capacity building of woreda based government health staff (HWs & HEWs) and s/he will provide ongoing technical support for gov’t health care providers (HWs and HEWs).
This position will be based at different woredas of North West/Semen Merabawi Zone and will directly report to the MHNT Team Leader/Senior Health Officer based in Shire field office/Adi-Harush sub office.
- Provide health education at MHNT sites,
- Provide consultation and treatment for children based on IMNCI protocol,
- Provide proper nutrition screening and emergency nutrition services (OTP, TSFP and linking cases for SC) based on national protocols,
- Record and registration of consulted/treated and nutrition program beneficiaries,
- Prepare, compile and timely submission of child health and nutrition services report,
- Manage child health and nutrition products/drugs stock, follow up on the stock level, utilization, and balance and notify early shortage to MHNT team leader,
- Conduct demonstration of Super cereal plus and other nutrition products preparation for new mothers to ensure appropriate utilization,
- Capacitate and assist HEWs in providing child health and nutrition services provision,
- Perform additional responsibilities as required by the MHNT Team leader and senior Health officer,
- BSc in public health/Nurse/midwifery/MD Degree.
- Minimum work experience of 3 years for BSc Degree & 2 years for MSc Degree holders, 1 year for MD.
- Basic supervisory/managerial skills with strong inter-personal skills.
- NGO experience in emergency health response project activities is preferable.
- Demonstrable experience in working with communities in participatory approaches and capacity building of health centers.
- Ability to plan, organize, and supervise implementation of emergency health response projects
- Good technical and report writing skills with computer skills and knowledge.
- Excellent verbal and written communication.
- Self-motivated, honest, highly responsible, and punctual and ability to constructively address gaps and weaknesses.
- Ability to work under pressure in remote areas and understanding of the cultural context of the local area.