Emergency Management Coordinator
Amref Health Africa is an African-led international health development organization headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya. Founded in 1957 as the Flying Doctors of East Africa to bring critical health services to remote communities, Amref Health Africa envision to bringing lasting health change for Africa in more than 30 countries across the continent. With a focus on women and children, the organization strives to overcome the most critical health challenges facing the continent: maternal and child health, HIV & TB, malaria, water and sanitation and health systems strengthening. Amref Health Africa in Ethiopia has been working in Ethiopia since 2002 in close collaboration with the Federal Ministry of Health implementing a range of projects in maternal, neonatal and child health, reproductive health, health systems strengthening, health workforce development, water and sanitation, HIV/AIDS and non-communicable diseases across the country, supported by a wide range of multilateral and bilateral donors, corporates and foundations.
Job Description summary:
Coordinate the response to public health and other emergency activities, provide disaster preparedness to support self-reliance for a well-functioning & resilient health system; prepare emergency plans and procedures for natural disasters (flood, drought), increasing unrest and instability (causing displacements driven by conflict), and disease outbreaks (AWD, measles, malaria, yellow fever….) arise to reduce the impact on mothers and children. He/she is also expected to document and analyze damage assessments following public health disasters or emergencies in the four USAID Transform HDR operational regions.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
· Conduct assessment to determine the types of emergency-related needs that will need to be addressed in disaster planning,
· Support the RHBs and WoHOs to detect public health emergencies earlier to respond effectively through designing and administering emergency/disaster preparedness capacity building activities,
· Consult with officials of local government offices, Regional Disaster Prevention, Finance and Economy…, Education Bureau, schools, hospitals, and other institutions in order to facilitate plan development and design response coordination,
· Coordinate and closely work with the RHBs and humanitarian organizations for timely emergency response activities whenever emergency needs arise to reduce the impact on mothers and children.
·Primarily provide technical support to Transform HDR supported RHBs and regional technical teams to increase their capacity in disaster management and provide quality response.
·Collaborate with RHB and other stakeholders working on emergency to prepare and analyze damage assessments following disasters or emergencies.
· Engage in humanitarian-development resilience strategy development.
· Establish/strengthen a well-coordinated regional and woreda emergency preparedness and response technical working group.
· Keep track of activities or changes that could affect the response efforts and implementation efforts.
· Prepare emergency situation status reports that describe response and recovery efforts made by the project, population reached (disaggregated by age and sex) and preliminary damage assessments.
Attend meetings, conferences, and workshops related to emergency management in order to learn new information and to develop working relationships with other emergency management specialists.
Minimum Education and Experience Required:
· Master’s degree in health or related fields.
· At least 5 years relevant experience
· Extensive knowledge and experience in public health emergency response
· Experience in capacity building
· Experience in working with multi-sectoral organizations in coordinating emergency response and good knowledge of the developing regional states
Special Skills Required or Desired
· Excellent coordination, communication and interpersonal skills that facilitate emergency response activities
· Strong ability to work under pressure in managing emergency/crisis; i.e, proven ability to manage a complex and demanding response requests
· Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to support crisis survivors well
· Excellent spoken and written English
· Good computer skills (particularly Excel, Word and database)
· Ability to work in harsh circumstances and travel to emergency prone areas
How to Apply
If you would like to join Amref’s team, please quote the position/reference number in the subject matter and send your CV and application letter with remuneration requirements and contact details of three work-related referees, through Etrecruitment@amref.org , ethiojobs.com or to the Human Resources Department, Amref Health Africa by P.O Box 20855/1000, Addis Ababa.
The closing date for submitting applications is August 28 th , 2019 . We regret that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
• Telephone call to the office is strongly forbidden.
Amref Health Africa is an equal opportunity employer and has a non-smoking environment policy.