The International Rescue Committee, one of the world’s largest humanitarian international NGOs, provides relief, rehabilitation and development support to vulnerable people and communities over 30 countries. We began work in Ethiopia in 2000 in response to severe drought in Ethiopia’s Somali region and are currently providing assistance to Ethiopians and refugees in six regions in Ethiopia, implementing emergency and development programs in health, water and sanitation, economic recovery and development (ERD), women’s protection and empowerment, education, child protection, and multi-sectoral emergency response.
The Emergency Rapid Response Manager (ERRM) will be engaged in WASH emergency assessment, emergency response planning including project design and report writing and emergency response set up, monitoring and post intervention assessment, facilitating trainings and coordination and representation to WASH cluster. The Emergency Response Manager will collaborate closely with Senior EH/WASH Manager and field Coordinator and other members of IRC program teams and ensure an integration with other sector “CWI, nutrition and health” under the program. She/he is also expected to assist in Beneficiary Feedback mechanism initiatives and is expected to spend over 50% in the field. She/he is also supervising a water truck office and EH/WASH officers. The ERRM reports to Senior EH/WASH Manager but work closely with other Emergency response team and EH team.
- Supervise the implementation of Shire ERR WASH project to ensure the program is implemented according to well- plan schedule annual, quarterly, month work plan and budgets-spending plan, and that program objectives are well-met.
- Assist in Emergency WASH team in assessment, response planning, in implementation and monitoring of emergency WASH responses includes water trucking and water schemes infrastructures.
- Lead WASH emergency response team and design the WASH facility for emergency, BoQ and specification preparation and water trucking activities.
- Work closely with the Nutrition, Health & Protection managers to ensure the project response is an integrated response interventions.
- With guidance from Emergency Response Senior EH/WAH manager and Addis EH/WASH Technical lead deliver quality result for clients and partners.
- Assist IRC Shire MEAL team in set up, implementation and monitoring of beneficiary feedback mechanism.
- Write the Technical reports of the WASH services facility design and assessments and share to the supervisor.
- Make sure all the procurement are as per the assessments, required specification and in line project proposal, inspect WASH materials during procurement and report to the concerned body on time.
- Regularly plan and prioritized activities to meet deadline, share update to Senior EH/WAH manager
- With guidance from Emergency Response Senior EH/WAH manager , represent IRC Shire at Emergency response coordination platforms such as WASH cluster and Emergency coordination meetings
- Work closely with IRC Addis and Shire Health, EH, protection, Program and other units for increased integration and team work;
The ERRM shall take any additional responsibilities as requested by his/her supervisor, Senior EH/WASH Manager
- BSc Degree or MSc Degree in Hydraulic Engineering, Water Resources Engineering or Civil Engineering from a recognized University
- At least 6 years of experience for first degree holders, 2 years of emergency response work experience for MSc holders.
- 3 years senior level water supply construction and management experience.
- 2 years’ Experience in managing emergency Response programs and experience of team mobilization and having excellent knowledge of project management.
- NGO experience is preferable on the area of WASH or public health in emergency.
- Excellent water supply construction management skills. Ability to plan, organize, and supervise implementation of WASH related emergency responses;
- Excellent report and proposal writing skills for WASH emergency contexts.
- Experience in leading emergency response team and implementing emergency response interventions and experience Ability to work under pressure, long working hours and with high workload;
- Self-motivated, honest, highly responsible, and punctual;
- Ability to work as part of a team as well as to work autonomously when required;
- Very good at computer skill- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point and e-mail)
- Skills and experience in staff management, budget management and building effective teams.
- Have excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Good command of both spoken and written English and local language of the area is plus.
- Work in hardship areas and have stress management ability
How to Apply
How to apply:
Candidates who meet the above qualifications; please send your CV and application letter through IRC career site.
Your application letter/cover letter must include the following information.
· Name of the position you have applied for
· Date of application
· Summary of your qualifications and experience
· Motivation/objective of why you have applied for the job
· Please include at least 2 references from current and former supervisors.
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply!
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.
Standards of Professional Conduct: The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and carries out policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances
Equal Opportunity Employer: IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.