Supply Chain – Procurement and Supply Management (GHSC-PSM) project. GHSC-PSM in Ethiopia will serve as the primary vehicle through which USAID will procure and furnish health commodities, provide technical assistance to improve the country’s management of the supply chain, and collaborate with key international stakeholders to support global and local health initiatives.
The Global Health Security Agenda (GHSA) technical assistance envision to achieve a world safe and secure from infectious disease threats, whether naturally occurring, accidental, or deliberately released. GHSA seeks to leverage host government and donor partner investments to reduce morbidity, mortality, and economic loss by preventing avoidable infectious disease outbreaks, detecting threats early, and responding rapidly and effectively to outbreaks when they occur.
The project is currently seeking qualified Emergency Supply Chain Management (ESCM) Short-Term Consultant for COVID 19 to be based at EPHI emergency operation center (EOC) with intermittent travel to regions. The specialist is responsible for providing technical support to EPHI and EPSA in the coordination and technical leadership of EOC. The specialist will coordinate the implementation of the logistics plan of action of the EOC and responsible to strengthen the coordination, interventions, and resource mobilization of supply chain activities. He/She will support the EOC on selection, forecasting, costing, sourcing, procurement, inventory management, allocations, distribution, data collection and record keeping of the COVID-19 emergency commodities. Please see the criteria below and the SOW for details information.:
Duration of assignment
- March 01, 2021 to September 30, 2021
Level of Effort and Location
- This is a full-time job (five working days per weeks)- additional working hours and days may be required as per the program of the national COVID-19 EOC at EPHI
- The location of assignment is Addis Ababa, Ethiopia at EPHI with intermittent travels to the regions.
- The ESCM Short-term Consultant will report to the Learning and Innovation Manager, GHSC-PSM and EPHI’s preparedness and capacity building director/ Coordinator of EOC for COVID19
Emergency Supply Chain Management (ESCM) Local Short-Term Consultant
Global Health Supply Chain Program- Procurement Supply Management (GHSC-PSM) project, Ethiopia
SCOPE OF WORK
The purpose of the Global Health Supply Chain– Procurement and Supply Management (GHSC-PSM) Program is to ensure uninterrupted supplies of health commodities in support of United States Government (USG)-funded public health initiatives around the world. The vision of the Global Health Security Agenda (GHSA) is to achieve a world safe and secure from infectious disease threats, whether naturally occurring, accidental, or deliberately released. GHSA seeks to leverage host government and donor partner investments to reduce morbidity, mortality, and economic loss by preventing avoidable infectious disease outbreaks, detecting threats early, and responding rapidly and effectively to outbreaks when they occur.
Ethiopia is a country that has suffered from natural and man-made disasters that resulted in the loss of lives and affected livelihoods of communities. Currently, the country faces the global health threat, COVID-19 pandemics. As part of this, GHSC-PSM project in Ethiopia is tasked to provide technical assistance to the national effort to respond against the disease by strengthening the emergency supply chain operations in response to COVID 19 pandemic. This activity will contribute to the achievement of the Global Health Security Agenda (GHSA) strategic objectives.
GHSC-PSM in Ethiopia will provide technical assistance to the national effort to respond against the disease by strengthening the emergency supply chain operations in response to COVID 19 pandemic. The outcome of GHSC-PSM’s support is to ensure that Ethiopia successfully responds to the COVID-19 pandemic. The Emergency Supply Chain Management (ESCM) Short-Term Consultant for COVID19 will assist EPHI/ and EPSA in the coordination and technical leadership of emergency supply chain operations. The support will be provided both at the established emergency operations centers (EOC), EPHI and EPSA level. The consultant will also visit regional EOCs and PHEM offices to assess overall ESC preparedness and response efforts and provide capacity building interventions to regional ESC technical working groups. The consultant must be available on a full-time basis and should be able to work during the EOC working hours which may extend beyond working hours and days. He/she works closely with the GHSC-PSM Ethiopia Field Office team based in Addis Ababa.
Duties and Responsibilities :
- Support EPHI to strengthen the national and regional ESC technical working group to effectively prepare and respond to COVID19
- Support EPHI and EPSA on sourcing and procurement of commodities during the COVID-19 response
- Support the EOC on selection, forecasting, costing, inventory management, allocations, data collection, record keeping of emergency supply commodities including PPEs
- Support the EOC to timely delivery COVID-19 supplies from intermediate storage sites (hubs) to treatment and quarantine sites
- Assess the availability of medical security measures at emergency operation centers (EOC) for COVID19 global outbreak at all levels
- Support the EOC to develop, revise and implement emergency supply chain logistics plan of action
- Support the regional ESC TWGs through site visits and feedbacks
- Review the national and regional supply chain management preparedness activities with key stakeholders and document lessons learnt for the COVID19
- Conduct orientation/training for the regional ESC TWG and experts on COVID-19 supply chain preparedness and response
- Conduct regular review of COVID-19 response commodities and provide update on stock status and pipeline on weekly basis
- Support EPSA and EPHI to develop a responsive procurement modality for emergency responses of COVID-19
- Support EPHI and EPSA to create logistics data exchange platform for supply chain visibility, to avert stock out and prevent wastage
- Provide technical assistance to EPHI and EPSA to ensure effective implementation of ESC playbook in response to COVID19 pandemic
- Review the identification, quantification and costing of protective, diagnostic and treatment supplies and adjust procurement orders as appropriate for COVID19 and other public health emergencies preparedness
- Develop stockpiling strategy and build protocol for replenishment during emergencies and maintain emergency resupply system to emergency response sites.
- Plan and coordinate logistical arrangements for workshops with GHSC-PSM office
- Participate in regular meetings of the EOC and ESC TWG
- Provide weekly and monthly reports
- Provide documentation on the implementation of the COVID-19 response activities and share lessons learned and best practices through technical reports and abstracts
- Maintain a good knowledge and understanding of all office rules and procedures as set forth in the project policy manual.
- Exhibit Chemonics values and build culture of “Living our Values” within the team
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as needed in line with the GHSA.
- 10 years of experience in supply chain management of health systems, health system strengthening, and/or emergency preparedness in Ethiopia and similar countries.
- Experience of working on emergency supply chains and Global Health Security Agenda (GHSA), direct COVID19 related ESC work is preferrable
- Experience working with Regional Health Bureaus and Ministry of Health of Ethiopia and its agencies such as EPHI and EPSA
- Master’s degree in public health, supply chain management, international relations, epidemiology, health management systems, or a relevant discipline.
- Trained on health emergency management or emergency supply chain management
- Fluency in English
- Experience in working on USAID-funded projects.
- Experience of writing program related technical reports and abstracts
- Proven ability to effectively represent activities and programs and engage partners, government counterparts, and funders.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills
- Able to work under strict deadlines and deliver deliverables
How to Apply
To apply, please use the following link to submit your application including updated curriculum vitae: [email protected] Please specify the Emergency Supply Chain Management (ESCM) Short-Term Consultant for COVID19 as the subject line in your application and submit no later than February 05, 2021. No telephone inquiries, please. Finalists will be contacted. Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.