The Environmental Officer reports to Emergency Rapid Response (ERR) Manager and is responsible to assist ERR manager in planning, management and monitoring of EH intervention around Weredas. The program focuses on maintaining to ensure adequate environmental health conditions are met in IDPs collective centers and host communities around where the IRC is mandated to implement projects
The principal role of the EH Officer is to do assessment/planning, designing, development/rehabilitation of water supply and sanitation structures, and capacity building of staff and partners and the day-to-day operation of the EH programs. Furthermore, the EH Officer will Assist the ERR Manager in maintaining effective operational processes between EH and procurement and logistic department, HR, Finance teams and managers, and demonstrates consistent represent and coordination with partners. The position also requires to ensure WASH integrated with Nutrition, Health and protection projects and responsible for planning, implementation and monitoring and evaluation of EH/WASH component in the woreda and IDP centers. The position also requires proper management of the financial, material and other resources under the program
This position technically reports to the ERR Manager, and organize and send formal and informal report to the ERR Manager.
MAJOR/KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS: Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
· Reports to Senior ERR Manager,
· In collaboration with other team members, the EHO undertakes detail need assessments.
· Identify water supply systems to rehabilitate and maintain.
· Prepare design & detail bills of quantities, budget estimates in response to emerging emergencies throughout the woreda and forward to supervisor for review.
· Prepares detail Environmental Health physical & financial implementation plan for emerging emergency responses.
· Source and monitor labor required towards implementation of emergency response interventions and ensure the proper implementation of the same as per set norms and standards.
· Monitor the progress and implementation of subcontracted emergency response intervention as per the contract.
· Prepare detail specification for items to be procured and ensure its procurements are as per set specifications.
· Identify and establish water trucking and water treatment sites.
· Monitor water trucking operations and water treatment systems.
· Works closely with, Zone/Woreda Water and Health Offices towards efficient and effective implementation of the response.
· Works in collaboration with IRC Hygiene Promotion Officers in promotion of safe hygiene practices in Emergency responses which includes Health Promotion activities.
· Produces activity progress reports as per the preset reporting schedule and submit to the supervisor and Emergency Rapid Response Manager.
· Prepare brief emergency related monthly updates and submit to the supervisor and copy to the supervisor and copy to Emergency Rapid Response Manager.
· Takes additional works as assigned by supervisor.
· At least 2 years of experience for first degree holder and 1 year experience for Post graduate holder with Water Supply and Sanitation design and supervision activities.
· Demonstrated practical experience in construction/rehabilitation of rural water supply systems especially in spring development, plumbing, construction/repair of hand dug wells, installation/repair of hand pumps is a must.
· Experience on managing the construction and maintenance of large-scale motorized schemes specifically deep boreholes has added value.
· Demonstrated experience in managing labor and material at construction site.
· Knowledge of SPHERE standard and Project Cycle management is an asset.
· Experience of engineering software’s like AutoCAD and basic computer skill has value.
· Flexible and committed to work under pressure.
· Having a demonstrated experience to work with government partners and structures is essential.
· Demonstrated experience in supervising construction works specially water supply schemes is an asset.
· Experience in NGO will be an asset.
How to Apply
How to apply:
· Candidates who meet the above qualifications; please send your CV and application letter through IRC career site.
Your application letter/cover letter must include the following information.
· Name of the position you have applied for
· Date of application
· Summary of your qualifications and experience
· Motivation/objective of why you have applied for the job
· Please include at least 2 references from current and former supervisors.
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply!
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.
Standards of Professional Conduct: The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and carries out policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances
Equal Opportunity Employer: IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.