The International Rescue Committee (IRC) is one of the largest humanitarian agencies in the world, providing relief, rehabilitation, and post-conflict reconstruction support to victims of oppression and violence. IRC has worked for over eight decades in the world addressing both the immediate, life-saving needs of conflict-affected people in an emergency and the reconstruction needs in post-conflict societies. IRC is committed to a culture of results-oriented leadership, innovation in all aspects of our work, creative partnerships, and detailed accountability to those we serve. We are currently seeking a highly motivated, multi-faceted Emergency Response Manager-Hygiene Promotion who will take overall responsibility for ERR Program Quality ensuring that the impact of our programs and the influence of our perspectives empowers our clients to make lasting change in their lives.
The Emergency Response Manager (HP) will be engaged in emergency assessment, emergency response planning and emergency response set up, monitoring and post-intervention assessment, facilitating training and coordination and representation at emergency WASH cluster in the region. He/She reports to the Hawassa Field Office Coordinator and works closely with the Hawassa EH team and Addis-based Emergency Response Team.
- Take part in multiagency field assessments (seasonal, rapid) in the event of an emergency with Addis and the field team as well as with partners.
- Assist IRC Ethiopia Emergency Response Team and field offices in surveys, assessment, response planning, in implementation and monitoring of emergency responses.
- Take deployment assignments and coordinate and lead emergency operations assessment in new locations in the field, assist in hiring field staff, locating warehouse and office and set up emergency response in new areas when needed.
- Lead emergency response team in new intervention areas and implement quick responses for brief period as required
- Facilitate emergency response trainings and workshops for IRC and partner staff.
- Assist field offices in preparation and review of emergency response proposals.
- With mentorship from Emergency Response Coordinator, assist in IRC Cash Transfer Programming initiative and emergency preparedness micro-planning.
- Assist in set up, implementation and monitoring of beneficiary feedback mechanism.
Grant, Budget and procurement Monitoring and Management
- Assist in tracking and review of spending of IRC direct WASH interventions in the field is in line with the original plan, and burn rate goes in line with the activity implementation progress and provides feedback to supervisor.
- Assist in Preparation of PR and procurement plan for WASH, ES/NFI materials and services to be ordered from Emergency Response unit in Addis.
- Assist in tracking of emergency supplies, dispatch, distribution in different disaster-affected including documentation
Reports and Proposals
- Assist in the review of field reports from IRC field offices and subgrants including review of ERR interventions supervising datasheets.
- Assist in the development of proposals and budgets for future emergency responses by the IRC Ethiopia;
- Assist in the review of proposals from partners and by the IRC for direct interventions are as per the requirement and standard.
- Assist in the review of IRC direct intervention proposals and assist the field team and program unit in drafting proposal and MoU for signing project agreement with relevant regional government Bureaus.
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Participate and assist in the monitoring of IRC direct interventions and sub-granted projects.
- Assist in facilitation of IRC Ethiopia's own, government and donor monitoring visits and project evaluations.
- Participate in post-intervention assessments in coordination with CWI, EH, Health, and program units as well as field team.
Representation, Coordination , and Working Relationship
- Work closely with IRC Ethiopia Health, EH, CWI, Program, and other units for increased integration and teamwork;
- Regularly, represent at WASH cluster Coordination and other relevant emergency coordination forums with NGOs, UN agencies, government Bureaus in regions and share updates on this and emergency situations to supervisor.
- Assist the WASH cluster in assessment, preparation of guidelines, other technical documents, etc.
- Coordinate and Share regular IRC update to the WASH cluster including 4WS matrix.
- The ERR Manager (HP) shall take any additional responsibilities as requested by his/her supervisor, ERR Coordinator, and CD.
- BSc Degree or MSc Degree in Public Health, Environmental Health or related from a recognized University.
- At least 4 years of experience for first-degree holders.
- At least 3 years of work experience plus a postgraduate degree.
- Experience in handling emergency programs and experience of team mobilization teams and having good knowledge of project management.
How to Apply
Candidates meeting the above qualifications are encouraged to apply only through the below IRC On-line recruitment website:
Please include 3 references from current and former employers.
Applications will not be returned. IRC discourages phone calls or personal visits.
Only applicants meeting the minimum qualification will be short listed and contacted.
IRC is an equal employment opportunity employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability.
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
Your application letter/cover letter must include the following information.
· Name of the position you have applied for
· Date of application
· Summary of your qualifications and experience
· Motivation/objective of why you have applied for the job
· Permanent Address and present address (if different from permanent) and telephone number if possible also email address
· Disclose any family relationships with existing IRC employees.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.
Professional Standards : The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity Anti-Retaliation and Combating Trafficking in Persons
Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols, and other supportive benefits and allowances
Equal Opportunity Employer: IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.