ABOUT ONE ACRE FUND
One Acre Fund works to improve the livelihoods of smallholder farmers. In Ethiopia, we engage farmers in agroforestry and community-based seed multiplication. In partnership with the Amhara National Regional State, these programs have planted more than 10 million trees, produced over 500 MT of improved teff seed and reached more than 65,000 farmers. Now, we are now in an exciting phase of work in which we are trialing novel approaches and preparing for scale-up in the coming years. We have over 8000 employees globally, and our growing Ethiopia headquarters are in Bahir Dar, Amhara Region, with small offices in Addis Ababa, Finote Selam and Motta. To learn more about our work, take a look at our Why Work Here blog for more information.
To learn more about our work, take a look at our Why Work Here blog for more information.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Innovations Associate will be an essential part of our leadership team in one of One Acre Fund’s fastest-growing country programs. The Ethiopia program is poised to serve over 100,000 farmers in 2021, grow 10 million trees, and expand our seed multiplication program. In 2025, we plan to serve over one million farmers.
We are looking for someone to research, design, and trial innovations through a team. You will report directly to the Ethiopia Country Director or Agroforestry Program Manager, and you will directly manage three deputies.
- Lead Product Innovation. You will lead efforts to identify high-impact products for our partners to sell to our growing network of agroforestry farmers. You will lead research and engagement to evaluate new product options and manage early-stage trials to test demand and impact.
- Scale Selected Products. For selected new products, you will guide them to scale in our core agroforestry program, ensuring that our field staff and managers are trained and our evaluation team has the necessary context to confirm impact at scale.
- Design and Pilot Program Improvements to Increase Impact and Efficiency. You will design improvements to our programs and trial new ones to produce an additional $5-$10m USD of impact, to potentially create revenue, and to make our work more cost-efficient. You will work with a diverse set of people to gather input on these and coordinate their rollout.
- Lead a Team of Technical Specialists and Leaders. Work with others to set department-level goals, then guide your team to achieve these through clear expectations, support and coaching. Your team will be made up of technical specialists and who are learning project management skills, and you’ll need to ensure they have development plans and opportunities for growth. You’ll also manage a modest budget for trial supplies, your staff and research expenses.
Career Growth and Development
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
Across all roles, these are the general qualifications we look for . For this role specifically, you will have:
- 5+ years of experience in a dynamic and creative organization(s)
- Experience managing people and projects in a systematic way, in particular, strategic plans to implementation by working through others
- Experience working with rural development programs
- Experience comparing new opportunities quantitatively
- Agroforestry, forestry, carbon finance, coffee or fruit tree background is a plus; interest in these is required
- A Bachelor’s degree
- Language: English required and Amharic strongly preferred
Preferred Start Date
As soon as possible
Bahir Dar, Ethiopia with up to 50% optional Addis Ababa time after the first six months
Health insurance, housing, comprehensive benefits and flexible working environment
This role is only open to citizens, permanent residents, or origin card holders of Ethiopia. Women are encouraged to apply