The Organization You Want to Work For
Development Gateway (DG) is an international nonprofit organization that creates innovative information management and data visualization technology, implements data-focused programs, and conducts research and evaluation to further sustainable development. We are a creative and dynamic group of people based around the globe. We value hard work, innovative thinking, a commitment to teamwork, and a good sense of humor.
This consultancy will be working within a three-year DG program funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the Tobacco Control Data Initiative (TCDI), which will be implemented in up to eight African countries. The purpose of the program is to understand the respective countries’ tobacco data needs, identify existing data and research, confirm gaps in available tobacco data and research, collect new data to fill those gaps, and develop an online resource to enable policy makers to use essential data to inform policy. The first TCDI country portal can be viewed at southafrica.tobaccocontroldata.org .
The Elevator Pitch
The Research Analyst will assist the data team in locating, assessing, and verifying information, research, and data analysis related to tobacco control in Ethiopia. This will require someone with excellent research skills who has the capacity to make value judgements about the source and validity of data. A background in tobacco control research is advantageous, but not required.
The Work You Get To Do
- Conduct data analysis on primary and/or secondary data, including advanced statistics and calculating weights
- Conduct thorough online research to collect literature/data/information related to tobacco control.
- Evaluate data sources, articles and reports to identify which are and are not reliable
- Summarise academic literature for non-technical and non-academic readers and assist in writing fact sheets and policy briefs. Write explanatory text to help contextualize data/information
- Assist in writing questionnaires and designing survey protocols
- Assist in reviewing validity of data collected in questionnaires/surveys
- Other duties as assigned by the Data Manager/Research Coordinator
Gourmet chefs welcome, but more importantly:
- You have a solid ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams in a fast-paced, creative environment. Entrepreneurial attitude and skills are important.
- You're comfortable working with data, using spreadsheets, databases, and statistical software packages including Excel and Stata (both required); SPSS, R, or others a bonus.
- You can communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical staff and maintain good communication with our geographically dispersed team.
- You can work effectively both independently and as a great teammate.
- You have sufficient experience in working with data and academic and policy publications to be able to determine the validity and quality of data/sources.
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and Amharic.
Additional Role Details
This consultancy is entirely remote and a stable internet connection is required. Your work schedule is flexible, although we request that your work hours overlap at the very least with 8 AM - 12 PM Washington, DC (USA) time for remote meetings.
This role is equivalent to approximately 50% part-time consulting position for an initial 12-month period, starting November 2021. The terms may be extended, depending on achievements during the first year. It does not include benefits, but offers competitive pay. The projected pay range is between $25-$30/hour USD, commensurate with experience and location
Your Education and Experience
- Minimum of a Master’s degree in Statistics, Economics, Public Health, or related field
- At least 5 years experience in working in data research/analysis
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Amharic is required
- Experience in collecting primary data including designing questionnaires and research protocols
- Preferred, if possible:
- Experience working with data from the African continent and/or
- Experience working in tobacco control or other non-communicable diseases
How to Apply