EXTERNAL/INTERNAL VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
Norwegian Church Aid is a non-profit organization working in 24 countries worldwide to eradicate poverty. In Ethiopia, Norwegian Church Aid has been operating since 1974, engaged in short term emergency response and long-term development programs.
Our intervention in Ethiopia focuses on Climate Resilience, Reproductive Health, Water, Sanitation & Hygiene, Humanitarian Emergency Response as well as Peace Building. NCA/E operate in six regions: Tigray, Amhara, Oromia, Somali, Gambella, Southern Nations Nationalities and People’s State and at the Federal level.
To achieve our development goals, we work with faith and non-faith-based actors which have demonstrated strong grassroots reach and influence in the society.
Norwegian Church Aid is a member of the ACT Alliance, a coalition of organizations working together in over 140 countries to create positive and sustainable change in people’s lives.
NCA/E would like to invite interested and qualified applicants for the below position.
Area of Specialization: Financial operation, Monthly closure of the books, Reporting, Treasury Management, Audit etc
Reporting to: Finance & Operations Manager
Duty Station: Based in Addis Ababa with occasional travel to partners office
Length of Contract: One year with possibility of extension based on performance and availability of funds
The Finance & Accounts Team Head is responsible to the financial management, coordination and supervision of the day to day accounting of the Country Office (accounting, treasury, audit procedures, etc.) in accordance with NCA financial procedures and in compliance with legal obligations. S/he is required to provide quality, reliable and transparent information to the organization on the use and allocation of resources in the Country Office (CO). In addition, s/he ensures the account balances in the financial statement of the CO is normal and current.
The position holder is expected to provide technical leadership in implementation and development of Financial Accounting Policies, Procedures, Rules and Regulations to ensure efficient functioning of the CO accounts.
S/he oversees all the disbursement of the CO and involve in the supervision and management of general accounting activities, analyses, and the maintenance of effective internal controls while ensuring statutory compliance in all accounting initiatives. The position holder is additionally responsible for the day-to-day aspects of the accounting operation and expected to work with other finance and operation and program heads in coordinating and contributing to workflow. S/he also has staff management responsibility within the team.
Duties and Key responsibilities:
- Lead the financial accounting team to deliver effective and efficient processes.
- Oversee financial transaction processing, disbursement, and reconciliations within the CO.
- Lead, manage and monitor accounting functions.
- Ensure reconciliation of Bank accounts and other accounts monthly.
- Monitor general ledger, accounts receivables, accounts payables and other records.
- Ensure effective implementation and compliance with Financial Rules and Regulations.
- Create management tools that effectively monitor accounting processes.
- Lead reconciling all balance sheet and income statement accounts on a monthly/quarterly basis as indicated by the monthly closing schedule.
- Monitor and manage the month-end accounting processes.
- Ensure compliance of all accounting processes to that of the organizational goals.
- Prepare periodic financial and budget execution reports and annual financial statements and other reports.
- Ensure sound financial management practices.
- Responsible to ensure compliance with the Financial Procedures Manual, confirming that all procedures and policies are business focussed and communicated effectively.
- Lead the annual statutory year-end requirements, agreeing timetables and responsibilities with all involved, with the primary focus being to achieve a clean audit.
- Ensure in meeting the technical accounting compliance requirements.
- Maintain good working relationship with staff, banks, donors and other stakeholders.
- Build staff capacity and maintain regular working relations.
- Responsible to lead, capacity development, coordinate, supervise and mentor staff under his/her supervision.
Qualifications and experience:
- BA or MA/MBA in Accounting, Finance or relevant fields.
- 9/7 years of demonstrated and progressive experience on positions related to finance operation, grant management and procurement. Evident exposure of INGOs in relation to the position roles is a must.
- Highly motivated with strong personal integrity and commitment.
- Demonstrated skills in Monthly closure, Cashflow management, mentorship and supervision.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to promote effective collaboration within staff.
- Professional fluency in written and spoken English.
- Excellent analytical capacity.
- Excellent negotiation skills.
- Excellent computer skills and keen to learn relevant software NCA is using.
- Good in attending details.
- Strong sense of ethics.
- Strong ability to work under pressure and able meeting deadlines.
- Good staff supervision skill.
- Excellent understanding of Ethiopian finance law, taxation, pension, labor, civil society etc. Certification in IPSAS financial reporting is a plus.
How to Apply
Interested applicants are required to send their application, CV and other supportive documents via [email protected]
- Only short-listed applicants will be contacted via telephone/email.
- NCA is an equal opportunity organization.
- Qualified women applicants are highly encouraged to apply.