The Pharo Foundation (“the Foundation”) is a privately funded entrepreneurial organisation that runs philanthropic programmes as well as for-profit social ventures. The Vision of the Foundation is an economically vibrant and inclusive Africa. The Mission is to achieve the Vision by investing in the human and physical capital of Africa, with a strong focus on job creation.
Established in 2011 as a UK based non-profit, the Foundation has since made a strategic shift to directly design and implement its own programmes to ensure greater engagement with communities, better results and increased accountability. The Foundation has carried out numerous projects in East Africa, with a focus on Ethiopia and Somaliland and has now established - an office in Rwanda. -. The key strategic pillars for the philanthropic side of the Foundation are education, health, water and agriculture. At the end of 2019, the Foundation also started its Pharo Ventures franchise to prioritise sectors where the Foundation believes a real impact can be made by establishing self-sustaining businesses, which focus on job and economic value creation. Headquartered in London, the Foundation has an operational head office in Nairobi, Kenya with country offices in Ethiopia (Addis Ababa and Assosa) - Somaliland (Hargeisa), Rwanda(Kigali) with further expansion plans in East Africa.
The role holder will contribute towards efficient and effective resource management of the Foundation by ensuring accurate recording of financial transactions, preparing reconciliations and reporting.
Functional Relationships -:
- Finance Manager – Pharo Boarding School – Homosha
Duties and Responsibilities:
Finance and Accounting
- Work closely with the Program Manager -to ensure - -compliance with the Foundation’s financial standards, procedures and processes. .
- Maintain accurate accounting records and filing systems.
- Prepare monthly bank reconciliations, follow-up and clear outstanding reconciling items.
- Handling, processing and reconciliation of petty cash, cash withdrawals and deposits
- Review supporting documents diligently -and ensure they are in line with the Foundation’s policies, tax laws, and other external regulatory requirements.
- Plan, organise and execute own and subordinates’ deliverables to meet the monthly reporting deadlines
- Review payment for completeness and compliance before submitting for approval.
- Ensure all requests for payment include tracking codes and ensure accurate recording to Xero accounting software.
- Responsible for timely settlement of withholding tax and pension to local government bodies.
- Review construction payments before sending to country office and advice Finance and Admin Manager for any comments or concerns,
- Oversee fixed assets and stocks, ensure fixed asset register is maintained, stock balances are updated. Coordinate annual fixed assets and stock counts,
- Provide Budget versus Actual to budget holders at Program office level to ensure they fulfil their budget management responsibilities.
- Prepare payroll and ensure timely payment of salaries.
- Support country office finance during audits and act on any weaknesses on internal control identified by auditors for improvement
- Perform month and year-end closing and reconciliation in collaboration with Finance and Admin Manager.
- Ensure Program Office vehicles are regularly maintained, insurances renewed and oversee vehicle fuel utilisation.
- Ensure office rent agreements are renewed, payment effected on time and office facilities are to the required standards.
- Complete payroll related information and ensures all information is accurate -- in laison with the Finance and Administration Manager.
- Coordinate the preparation of procurement plan and ensure actual execution is in accordance with the approved plan.
- Coordinate and ensures proper recording, use and timely maintenance of the facilities, building and equipment as per the Foundations policies and procedures.
- Organise and coordinate the efficient provision of office services, transport, maintenance and other general services to the program office.
- Plan and prepare budgetary requirements of equipment, materials, maintenance of property and general service.
- Ensure utility services are provided as per agreements and that monthly payments are done on time.
- Ensure all staff leave is recorded on BreatheHR system before staff go for annual leave.
- Ensure the safety and security of the Program Office employees and the Foundation properties and activities in the premises.
- Any other related work assigned by his/her supervisor.
- Finance Officer
- Finance and Admin Assistant
- Logistics and Procurement Officer
- Support staff
- BA Degree in Accounting and 8 years related experience preferably in an NGO sector.
- ACCA or similar qualification/partial qualification is a plus.
- Good competency in the area of accounting and Finance.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficient in computer skills particularly Microsoft Office, especially use of Excel.
- Collaboration skills, being driven to work with others and able to build a strong working relationships.
- Analytical thinking
- Problem analysis, solving and consolidate financial information.
- Ability to manage and priorities a varied workload and work to deadlines.
- Good command of - English l- and ability to prepare well-written reports.
- Great attention to detail and a flexible approach to work.
- High professional and ethical standards.
- Positive outlook and outgoing personality with solid leadership, interpersonal and diplomatic skills.
- Structured and process-oriented.
- Excellent time and project management skills with the ability to balance multiple priorities.
- Motivated to learn and perform and not afraid to ask questions.
- Willing to challenge the status quo and add value by introducing positive change.
- Excellent communicator and comfortable working in a team environment.
How to Apply