The Ethiopian Medical Association (EMA) is one of the pioneering professional Associations in Ethiopia. The Association was formally established on July 2, 1962 G.C with 100 founding members. EMA is a member of the World Medical Association since 1994 G.C and currently has more than 3500 registered members.
EMA’s head office is based in Addis Ababa and has a presence in five regions represented by its nine regional branch offices (Gonder, Mekelle, Bahir Dar, Dessie, Jimma, Adama, Harere, Hawassa and Arba Minch). EMA has been operational for over 59 years on promoting quality of medical service in Ethiopia and evidence-based medicine through publishing the Ethiopian Medical Journal (EMJ). The mission of the association is to: Ensure that the community gets quality health service and care; promote the highest standards in medical education, science, art and practice and ensure the rights and benefits of medical professionals (doctors) and act as their voice
Thus, the association would like to invite experienced and competent candidates for the following listed vacant posts:
Under the supervision of the Finance and administration manager and following the EMA’s policies and procedures, The Emergency grant finance officer is responsible to ensure the financial operations of the secretariat in the head office as well as in the project sits (regional health centers) functions efficiently in the area of financial planning, accounting & management, contorting/monitoring and reporting. The Finance officer will have the ability to work independently on EMA’s planed core activities, from conception to completion, and must be able to work under pressure at times to handle a wide variety of activities and confidential matters with discretion.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensures that accurate and timely accounts are completed in accordance with guidelines of RTSL and EMA financial policies and procedures.
- Ensures safe custody of adequate supporting documents to be maintained in accordance with EMA policies and procedures.\
- Closely work with assigned regional coordinators for facilitation source documents of perdium or transportation payments for trainees, trainers, organizers and hotel services;
- Analysis quoted price comparison on Performa for refreshment package service and submits to admin. & finance manager for review;
- Gather pertinent information such as hotel service providers, trainees, trainers, organizers bank account details at each health facility or regional training centers from assigned regional coordinators;
- Regularly submit all prepared supporting documents for payment facilitation through bank;
- Assembles documents for data input in the accounting system, verifying project numbers/codes, resource numbers and total costs.
- Reviews payment requests for accuracy, completeness, compliance, level of authorization and clarity on the invoices;
- Supports the finance team working on different financial transactions or different projects.
- Ensures transactions of different projects are properly recorded, posted, coded and entered into the financial accounting system on timely basis as per the finance policy of the Association.
- Prepares payment vouchers, journal entries and reconciles general ledger and subsidiary accounts of the grant project.
- Prepare and facilitate payroll preparation process and all related payments for HO & Regional level project coordinators.
- Assists and advises project coordinators in financial reporting and internal control related matters.
- Prepares check & bank transfer letters for Payments & verify financial supporting documents and proforma documents.
- Assist in the procurement process in the process & give financial feedback to the procurement committee in accordance with rules & regulations of the Association’s procurement policy.
- Prepare rental vehicles movement report for timely vehicle rent payment facilitation
- Perform other duties assigned to him /her by the immediate supervisor.
Work Unit: Finance and Administration Department
Reports To: Finance and Administration Manager
Required Staff to the Job Holder: Two
Duty Station: Addis Ababa with frequent travel
Position Grade: V
Duration: short term contract (3-6) months
Education and Qualification
- MA/BA Degree in Accounting, Accounting & Finance or other related fields.
- 4/6 years of relevant experience on similar /related position. Experience in International NGO environment and/or working in donor-based projects are advantageous. In addition the job incumbent need to have at least 2 years of project related experiences.
- Peachtree Accounting Training Certificate
- Other Accounting application Software training certificate is advantageous
- Desired Criteria (An Asset)
- Experience in International, local NGO & professional association’s environment is advantageous
Competencies/ Personal attributes
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and security of EMA’s critical information and hence, foster trust and respect.
- Ability to work independently
- Being self-motivated and highly organized, detail oriented.
- Being flexible and able to work well under pressure and prioritizing ability.
- Exhibit a desire to support a large number of people and units.
- Having strong team player skills and interest.
- Having good facilitation skills.
Required Skills & Abilitie s:
- Strong verbal and written communications skills
- Strong MS office and the ability to use new technology
- Knowledge of records management( both manual and computerized systems)
- Ability to meet deadlines according to the established timetable
- Team spirit and coordination
- Fluency in spoken and written English and Amharic.
How to Apply
Therefore, interested candidates who fulfill the above minimum requirement are invited to send your application quoting the vacancy position within 07 consecutive days from this vacancy announced with the following details:
- 1 page covering letter
- 3 pages updated CVs,
- 1 page summary of CV through email address: [email protected] .
N: B: - In person application is not acceptable
Note: Use "Finance Officer" as the subject line of your email !
For further information Tel:+251 11 552 1776/ 11554 7982