The Ethiopian Red Cross Society (ERCS) wants to recruit employees in the following vacant positions the details of which are mentioned bellow.
About the Ethiopian Red Cross Society
The Ethiopian Red Cross Society (ERCS) was established in 1935 and is one of the oldest and largest humanitarian organizations in Ethiopia. ERCS provides services to communities affected by natural and manmade disasters through the provision of emergency responses, ambulance and first aid, family reunification, essential drugs, water and sanitation, and other humanitarian services. ERCS also runs disaster risk reduction programs with the aim of creating resilience households and communities. Currently the ERCS has a structure consisting of 11 Regional Offices, 33 Zonal Branches and 131 District/Woreda Branches and 599 Woreda Red Cross Committees and 5871 Kebele Red Cross Committees.
The Finnish Red Cross supported projects’ Coordinator is responsible for the overall project management which includes planning, budgeting, implementation, provision of technical support, monitoring and evaluation, timely and quality reporting as per the provided formats and standards. He/she also facilitates partnership building with relevant stakeholders (mainly the Finnish Red Cross country delegate office, and Regional and woreda level government counterparts). The Project Coordinator is directly accountable in following up project activities and ensuring their completion within the timeline set, allocated budget as per the project document, with standard quality and in relation to the MOU between the Finnish Red Cross (FRC) and Ethiopian Red Cross Society (ERCS). Besides, to the above mentioned project, if additional commitment is needed, the Project Coordinator coordinate additional FRC supported projects and related others. The Projects Coordinator is expected to be flexible, supportive of his/her colleagues at the head quarter and branch level.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinate and manage all aspects of Finnish Red Cross supported projects’ duties, such as preparation of plans, following up of timely implementation and reporting of the project progress. Take timely and appropriate action to address delays and challenges in relation to project implementation and reporting.
- In consultation with the DRRD head and FRC country delegate, liaise with external partners, including government partner offices, NGOs and other relevant stakeholders.
- Provide daily management and supportive supervision of project activities at operational areas of the project, including regular field visits to project sites, providing trainings and technical assistance, assigning duties and giving feedback to staff members on their performance on a regular basis, to ensure high quality work and accurate completion of duties within the agreed time frame.
- Facilitate the implementation of the project activities according to the project proposal based on the MoU signed between ERCS and FRC.
- Develop detailed annual implementation plan including budget and work breakdown schedule in collaboration with the branch project staff and submit to DRRD & FRC country delegate office.
- Closely work with FRC country delegate office and demand capacity building support for effective implementation of the project.
- Ensure that all documents (plans, ToRs, reports) are submitted to DRR department for review and input before sharing it with the donor.
- Develop monitoring and evaluation plan, conduct periodic monitoring the progress of the project against implementation plan/review plans and ensures accomplishment of the work against the logframe and indicators and approved budget as outlined in the project proposal and take timely action for those activities based on project priorities.
- Act as a liaison between the project and relevant stakeholders to ensure efficient inclusion of the high risk and vulnerable groups of the community.
- Ensure the preparation and timely submission of quality financial and narrative reports as per ERCS procedures and donor requirements, deadlines and reporting formats.
- Establish and promote smooth communication among FRC, ERCS HQ, regional branch and field level staffs, project beneficiaries and the community at large.
- In coordination with ERCS work units and other stakeholders, ensure Community Engagement and Accountability (CEA) system is included in data collection, analysis, and preparation of plan of action, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the project execution.
- Collaborate with stakeholders and partners, in all aspects of the project including identification of needs, capacity building, relevant sectors engagement at all level, and other areas of collaboration.
- Ensure to have relevant data or statistics for the purpose of generating the progress of regular reports and lessons learned.
- Report regularly to the DRRD on the status of the project activities, challenges faced and actions taken related to the implementation of the project.
- Contribute to coordination and sharing of lessons learned, good practices and tools with ERCS and other stakeholders.
- Provide technical assistance, guidance, and information on changes to workflows and procedures to staff members, in accordance with the internal process and procedures of the national society.
- Represent the project in meetings and workshops as needed. Prepare reports, briefings, background information, narratives, and statistical reporting as necessary and required for DRRD.
- Maintain and ensure the confidentiality of all related information of the project by implementing the National Society’s relevant policy and procedures in line with standards and rules of the FRC supported project.
- Closely follow up the transfer of budget from FRC to ERCS and from ERCS to the branch, monitors the proper and efficient utilization of the budget with emphasis of identifiable and verifiable expenses of the project approved budget.
- Compile the project successes, lessons learned, best practices and provide suggestions and ideas, that can help for the program for scale-up
- Support and contribute to the overall management of the FRC supported projects by suggesting potential and constructive ideas to improve the execution of the project.
- Organize and take the lead role, to have review forums of the project progress among the project team at field level, partners and stakeholders in ways to bring smooth implementation and hand over the project.
- Request the procurement of office equipment, furniture, stationery and other relevant materials for the project, as well as follow up on progress and distribute purchased materials for the project implementing branches.
- Support Regional/zonal branch field teams in timely planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting (including financial) of all project activities.
- Facilitate preparation of sectoral partnership agreement, Terms of Reference and its signatory by respective parties to the agreement
- Ensure the implementation of the planned activities of the projects against the established framework that includes annual work-plan, targets, monitoring tools, and result indicators.
- Proper documentation of project processes, success and challenges, personal stories etc,
- Support the DRR department in proposal writing in his/her expertise area
- Looking other funding opportunities (by writing proposals) to replicate the success of this project and enhance the early warning and DRR portfolio of ERCS.
- Performs other related duties and responsibilities assigned by the DRRD.
Job Grade :-XIII
Work Unit: - Disaster Risk Reduction Department (DRRD)
Reports to :- Disaster Risk Reduction / DRR department Head
Duration:- One year with a possibility extension based on satisfactory performance.
- MSC/BSC degree in Disaster Risk Management/ Project management/ Development studies/ Agricultural Economics/ Environmental health/Public health.
- 8/10 years of relevant work experience in second degree and first degree respectively in relevant areas.
Special Skills & Competencies
- Proven project management and coordination skills and experience.
- Proficiency in English language (written and oral).
- Relevant NGO supported projects/programme management experiences and expertise has high advantage.
- Commitment to Ethiopian Red Cross values and ethical standards
- Profound experience in disaster risk management, food security and livelihood, Wash and health, capacity building, and program/project management.
How to Apply
We invite candidates meeting the required qualifications to fill out the employment application form from the official website of the Ethiopian Red Cross in vacancy menu http://www.redcrosseth.org/get-involved/vacancy and email to [email protected] before the closing date of this announcement on March 4 th , 2021.
Qualified women are strongly recommended to apply!
Please note that we ONLY consider those who filled in the application form and send us back. We regret to inform that we do not accept CV at this stage