Job Purpose Summary:
The GBV Prevention officer is a key team member of International Medical Corps, and will oversee the overall day to day of GBV prevention interventions, including GBV prevention activities, capacity building and coordination with other sectors and actors in Addis Ababa Ethiopia under the direct supervision of GBV program manager. The GBV prevention officer based in Addis Abeba achieve the overall and specific objectives of the position. The GBV Prevention Officer will be responsible for all gender-based violence (GBV) prevention-related activities in the community, including trainings, workshops, awareness-raising activities, and campaigns with government actors, community leaders, women and adolescent groups, and community members and will perform the following specific tasks and undertake the responsibilities.
- Monitor & supervise case management, including capacity building through training, mentorship and on-the-job training of social workers to provide case management. Make sure
- Provide direct supervision to Community Outreach Workers through development of daily and weekly outreach plan
- Conducting group discussion/tea talk sessions in the urban community
- Mobilize urban community/urban refugee members to create a protective environment for women and girls and promote their safety and dignity
- Develop and conduct trainings and workshops for IMC GBV staff, other IMC staff, partner organizations and community members on a variety of issues related to violence against women and girls, access to services, and reducing risk for women and girls.
- Provide prevention-related trainings for all relevant sectors and community members.
- Contribute to a positive team spirit among all IMC staff.
- Provide mentoring to GBV outreach team on a weekly basis.
- Support adherence to GBV referral protocols
- Maintain positive coordination and relationships with partner and other IMC sector staff.
- Ensure trainings and mentorship activities are done in accordance with IMC logistics policy and in a timely manner to ensure the successful implementation of programs
- Prepare and submit weekly, monthly and 3-month work plans in a timely manner and incorporate manager feedback.
- Ensure that all relevant financial documentation is completed accurately as required by IMC finance policy.
- Work in collaboration with Response Officer to ensure ongoing needs of women and girls in the urban community are being met through prevention-related activities.
- Collaborate with the GBV Response Officer to organize awareness raising events, including mass awareness events (16 days of activism) and ensure response related topics covered in events.
- Compile monthly report and submit to GBV Manager, in collaboration with GBV Response Officer every month.
- Ensure that all relevant financial documentation is complete and submitted to finance in a timely manner as required by IMC finance policy.
Human Resource Management & Capacity Building
- Assist in the recruitment and training of GBV staff and refugee volunteers;
- With support from IMC HR, conduct staff performance evaluations for all GBV staffs in Addis Ababa in a timely manner;
- Adhere with IMC PSEA and safeguarding policies
- Work with HR to ensure accuracy of all GBV program job descriptions for staffs and their responsibilities;
- In collaboration with GBV program manager, design and monitor capacity building strategies for all GBV staffs in Addis Ababa;
- Ensure staff support and debriefing processes are in place, and that staff safety planning is conducted and regularly updated;
- Develop, implement and promote effective team communication techniques and systems, including regular senior staff meetings;
Coordination & Collaboration
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with all relevant stakeholders including ARRA, UNHCR other partners and community members in Addis Ababa
- Collaborate with other IMC sectors and operations personnel to ensure that the program is properly supported and that all project-related operational activities are conducted according to IMC HR, Logistics, Finance and other policies and procedures;
- In collaboration with the GBV program manager, promote and represent the interests of the GBV program with regards to all relevant stakeholders;
Individual Guiding Principles
Ensure vulnerable women including survivors of GBV are safe at all times; Respect their wishes, rights and dignity; Keep their experiences confidential and do not discriminate them.
1 Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
· Bachelor degree in psychology, sociology, social work or Reproductive Health or related experience
· Minimum 4 years of experience in an entry to mid to level position, preferably with experience in the NGO field. Experience in providing training
· Experience working with urban refugee communities
· Fluency in English is required
· Commitment to learning and implementing organizational policies and procedures
· Excellent verbal and written proficiency in Amharic and English and different language spoken if possible
2. Additional Characteristics
· Clear understanding of gender inequality, and issues surrounding violence against women and girls.
· Ability to maintain confidentiality and respect for clients at all times is essential.
· Ability to lead, train, supervise, facilitate and motivate other GBV staff in their respective tasks in a professional, respectful and supportive manner.
· Strong planning, organization and problem solving skills with ability to work both independently and within a team in a demanding work environment.
· Excellent personnel management skills, including diplomacy, tact and negotiating skills.
· Integrity, strong work ethic, and ability to consistently meet deadlines under pressure.
· Experience collaborating in protection, gender and human rights related activities
How to Apply
Interested applicants who meet the above requirements should submit their application letter and CV through www.ethiojobs.net before OR on April 09,2021
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Note : IMC is equal opportunity employer and hence candidate from all background: religion, ethnic group, qualified women and people living with disabilities, etc are all encouraged to apply.
International Medical Corps never asks job applicants for a fee, payment, or other monetary transaction. If you are asked for money in connection with this recruitment, please notify International Medical Corps at [email protected] .