Title: Gender Advisor Grade: 9
Department: Ethiopia Country Office, A/A December 2019
Summary Scope of Work:
The Gender Advisor will lead mainstreaming gender activities for an upcoming Health Workforce Improvement Program in Ethiopia. The Gender Advisor will provide technical assistance at the national, regional and institutional level to design and implement gender transformative strategies. The project will operate over a 5-year period.
The position will operate under the leadership of the Technical Director and Jhpiego’s senior management team, and will oversee and ensure the technical and programmatic soundness of all gender-related project activities. In collaboration with project team and partners, the position will support the design and implementation of gender transformative strategies based on scientific evidence.
- Position Reports To : Deputy Chief of Party (HWIP)
- Positions Supervised : None
Responsibilities: All staff members of Jhpiego, regardless of the level of responsibilities are expected to
- model the mission and values stated above
- participate in the business development process
- contribute to the knowledge sharing and transfer process
- make responsible decisions that result in time and cost containment and clear accountability
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead development of the gender component of work plans for the HWIP
- Design and conduct comprehensive gender analysis in higher education institutions (HEIs) and healthcare systems
- Design and implement evidence-based gender transformative interventions in HEIs and healthcare systems, targeting students, faculty, academic leaders, healthcare leaders and managers
- Identify capacity building needs of gender offices in HEIs and healthcare systems
- Provide mentoring and capacity building support to gender officers and departments at HEIs in collaboration with counterparts at Ministry of Science and Higher Education (MOSHE), Ministry of Health (MOH) and regional health bureaus (RHBs)
- Support the development and implementation of strategies to counter sexual harassment in HEIs and healthcare systems
- Support gender offices at HEIs and healthcare systems to develop and implement strategies that empower women and challenge entrenched gender roles and norms
- Support gender offices at HEIs and healthcare systems to develop policies and laws that promote gender equality
- Work with MER team to monitor and evaluate effectiveness of gender transformative interventions in HEIs and healthcare systems
- Work with technical advisors and program officers to ensure integration of gender into HWIP work plans, budgets, program activities and products
- Develop and/or update evidence-based gender-transformative training materials, curricula, standards, job aids, supervisory tools
- Facilitate gender transformative training and dialogue using effective techniques
- Ensure project activities are aligned with USAID’s Health Policy Initiative Gender Integration Index to inventory the most pressing gender barriers to achieving project goals and to ensure that inputs are designed to minimize those barriers
- Contribute to the development of gender-appropriate clinical learning (pre-service, in-service and continuing professional development) materials and standards, supervisory systems, and other materials needed for implementation of the project
- Assist in the identification and dissemination of best practices and new technical strategies and approaches
- Coordinate advocacy efforts for gender equality in health workforce education, training, development, management and retention efforts Participate in relevant technical working groups and forums representing Jhpiego
- Work closely and harmoniously with in-country and headquarter Jhpiego staff to deliver high quality results and maintain a positive
- Maintain excellent relationships with counterparts at HEIs, MOH, MOSHE, RHBs, gender advocacy groups and other stakeholders Document and report successes, lessons learned and challenges including routine quarterly reports, success stories and program learning reports
- Document and maintain an inventory of successful tools and approaches for gender equity
- Author or co-author abstracts, presentations, and articles for journals and conferences
- Postgraduate education in gender or related field
- Advocate for gender equality
- At least 5 years’ experience implementing gender transformative interventions, preferably including providing technical assistance in donor-funded projects
- Demonstrated experience providing training and capacity building assistance at individual and organizational levels
- Demonstrated experience with developing laws, policies and interventions that promote gender equality, women empowerment and male engagement
- Demonstrated experience with transforming gender roles and norms
- Good understanding of Ethiopia's higher education and health systems
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to maintain professional relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Negotiation and problem-solving skills
- Excellent writing and presentation skills in English and Amharic
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Familiarity with USAID’s administrative, management and reporting procedures and systems is a plus
How to Apply
Applicant are expected to STRICTLY follow the below listed application procedures:
- Only qualified and interested applicants can submit application letter and well written curriculum vitae saved in one complied PDF format.
- Applicants are required to state their current basic salary in their application letter.
- Applicants must make sure their application document is saved by their full name in PDF format.
- CREDENTIALS OR WORK CERTIFICATES MUST NOT BE SUBMITTED .
- The job position being applied for must be explicitly stated in the application letter.
- Applicants must use this E-mail [email protected] to submit applications and make sure to state the job position title applying for in the subject line.
- Applications not fulfilling the requirements stated above will automatically be rejected.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Jhpiego offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive employee benefits package. The winning candidate is expected to start within short period after finalization of the recruitment process.
The deadline for applications is June 2, 2021.