Center for Development and Capacity Building (CDCB) is a non-governmental, non-profit making civil society organization with the objective of empowering the people through strengthening institutions and leadership by undertaking different research activities, providing various capacity building training and implementing different development programs, which to be scaled up by the government and other development partners to improve the livelihoods of the community in the country.
CDCB has been contributing a lots into national development efforts through implementing various development programs and among them; Agriculture Project, funded by CSSP Phase I and scaled up by OXFAM-US, QUEST Project, funded by CCRDA/Population Action International (PAI), RH/FP Project, funded by CCRDA/Packard Foundation, …etc. by now, CDCB has running different development Programs like HIV/PMTCT Project, funded by PACF/ViiV Healthcare (UK), Environmental Protection Project, funded by UNDP, Youth Engagement Program, funded by VSO and others philanthropic
Currently, CDCB has secured a two-year small grant of Gender equality and women empowerment project, funded by Canada Embassy; here CDCB is looking for a competent and qualified candidate for its Gender officer position
General Role purpose: The position holder is responsible for enhancing women and girls empowerment; gender mainstreaming and its integration into development activities, and provides proactive technical support to the organization through working with all concerned departments and local government stakeholders to ensure gender equality principles and rights to be incorporated into all policies and activities. He/she will plan, implement and undertake follow up on gender issues, gender related activities, developing supporting manuals, and related strategies, provide training for beneficiaries on gender related topics and analyzes program implication for men and women in various communities and draft ways to address issues.
Specific Roles & responsibilities
Some of the specific roles and responsibilities of the position holder will be as follows, but not limited to these:
- Coordinating, implementing, monitoring and reporting Gender equality and women empowerment Program
- Conduct community based dialogues and facilitate school girls dialogues on women and girls right and gender equality
- Conduct experience sharing visits to model women and girls on changing gender roles and responsibilities, facilitate girls inspirational session regularly
- Enhancing women and girls empowerment that contribute to the undergoing national efforts to ensure gender equality and women empowerment through their meaningful participation and engagement in economy, political right and social aspects
- Organize and facilitate community dialogues and girls on women leadership and empowerment to enhance their engagement of social, economic and political participation
- Organize and facilitate different capacity building training and workshops for key stakeholders on women ‘s right and girls empowerment and create awareness about gender equality and rights among the local community
- Maintains regular communication and interaction with government office partners to facilitate and promote learning and information sharing,
- Document best practices and compile lessons learnt to ensure documentation, learning and advocacy
- Establish links and good relationships with relevant government offices/authorities and with like minded NGO’s in the area to ensure collaboration and networking
- Mentor and coach women and girls in the project site, conduct monitoring progress and report project results regularly
- Perform other additional duties as assigned by his/her supervisor
Place of work:
- Sendafa town in Oromia with sometimes base at Head office, Addis Ababa
- Contract for six months, with highly extended for one year based on performance satisfactory & fund availability
- A minimum of Bachelor Degree in Gender studies, sociology, social work, Development studies, law and other related social science fields
Required skills and experience:
- At least 3 – 5 years direct experience in gender and women empowerment area
- Having knowledge & exposure to a range of gender mainstreaming & gender development issues
- Ability to evaluate and integrate gender equality strategic objectives into broader program strategies
- Project management skills, technical capacity on training, Advocacy, networking & partnership, communications skills, interpersonal skills, facilitator skills,
- Experience of working on gender issues in like minded NGO’s and development areas
- Fluency in written and spoken in English and Amharic; Afan Oromo is mandatory
- Computer proficiency in MS word, excel, and power point, email…etc.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified applicants may directly send their application letter together with updated CV only through firstname.lastname@example.org ; cc email@example.com with on email subject line ‘applying for Gender officer position’ until September 10, 2019.
Women candidates are highly encouraged to apply
Note: only short listed applicants will be contacted