The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organization whose exclusively humanitarian mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of armed conflict and other situations of violence and to provide them with assistance.
For more information, visit website: https://www.icrc.org/
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) Delegation in Ethiopia is looking to hire an experienced, highly motivated and qualified person to fill the position of Generalist Field Officer 2 (1 year fixed term contract) , based in Mekelle with regular field trips to various areas in Tigray.
The Generalist Field Officer 2 contributes to the identification, implementation and monitoring of several ICRC projects in different fields of activities. It can cover Field, Protection, Assistance, Cooperation, Communication or other activities, contributing to the representation of the ICRC at local level.
- Understands and adheres to the seven Fundamental Principles of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement
- Understands and adheres to the ICRC Code of Conduct
- Understands the roles of the components of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement
- Respects and observes staff regulations and security rules at all times
- Represents the ICRC in a professional manner at all times
- Develops and maintains a pleasant and conducive working environment with colleagues and line managers
- Performs all duties with the highest level of confidentiality in the interest of the employees and the ICRC
- May be asked to perform tasks not covered in this job description and to provide support to other departments when necessary
Representation, Communication and Networking (30%)
- Supports the Field Team Leader in the establishment and development of a network of key interlocutors Civil authorities, ENDF, Police, Civil society, NGOs, UN, etc) present in zones of responsibility
- Ensures that the list of key interlocutors is kept up-to-date.
- Represents and promotes the ICRC regarding its activities with all relevant interlocutors including through operational dissemination sessions when appropriate.
- Provides media analysis relevant to the zones of responsibilities
Security management (25%)
- Informs and advises the Field Team Leader on the security situation in the zones of responsibility and assist in obtaining security guarantees for the deployment of ICRC teams in the zones of responsibility.
- Contributes to, maintain, and develop a network of key interlocutors for questions of security.
- Support the Team Leader in the transmission to other ICRC teams about application of the security rules and how to deal with security and behavior matters in the zones of responsibilities
- Assist the Field Team Leader in the assessment of accommodation and infrastructure for the housing of ICRC teams.
- Informs the Field Team Leader of all irregularities or security issues in the field.
- Ensures good working relations with the ERCS in zones of responsibilities through regular visits, in close collaboration with the Field Team Leader and Cooperation department
- Follows up on the ERCS financial settlement procedures (particularly those program under Cooperation budget) to make sure all invoices / receipts / supporting documents are approved / valid / according to the joint program planning.
Other Programmes (10%)
- Provides support to EcoSec, Health, Wathab and Protection activities where/when required in the zones of responsibilities (assessment, networking, distribution, etc.).
- Supports other departments to identify and map interlocutors and humanitarian actors relevant to their work in zones of responsibility or interest to the ICRC.
- Analysis and synthesis (10%)
- Contributes to the analysis of the humanitarian situation and security environment in zones of responsibility
- Contributes, with the assistance and guidance of the Team Leader to the preparation of institutional reports, minutes of meetings, key points, and other ad hoc written reporting.
- Contributes to the planning of field trips.
- Assists in the administrative preparation of field trips and respect the appropriate deadlines.
- In collaboration with support departments, organise and follow the logistics necessary for field trips (materials, vehicles, IT, etc).
- Follows up on all work-related messages and correspondence with the relevant contacts and departments
- Is aware of the delegation’s objectives and has a good knowledge of the Movement and other contacts relevant to the position
- Collects and shares information so as to improve the ICRC’s understanding of the environment and humanitarian trends and responses
- Represents the ICRC in an appropriate way during activities, in meetings and in the field, and avoids any activity that may reflect negatively on the ICRC’s image
- Takes responsibility for their own professional learning and development
- University degree in Social Science or similar
- Minimum 3 years of working experience in similar fields
- 1–2 years’ programme/project experience with national/international organizations or other humanitarian agency or in the private sector
- Very good command of written and spoken English, Tigrigna and Amharic.
- Solid understanding of federal/regional affairs
- Very good computer and MS Office proficiency
- Valid manual driving license (3rd grade/Public 1/Auto)
- Availability and flexibility regarding frequent field missions to key areas
How to Apply
You can submit application & CV with copies of relevant documents in person to the ICRC Delegation in Addis Ababa (Around Megenagna, in front of EIAR, around Egziabher ab church OR you can submit in Mekelle Sub delegation OR, send to the ICRC Delegation Addis Ababa, Human Resources Department, P.O.Box 5701, Addis Ababa.
Closing date: March 14, 2021
Women and persons with disabilities are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted at all stages of the selection process