About Digital Green
Digital Green is an International Non-Government Organization that empowers smallholder farmers to lift themselves out of poverty by harnessing the collective power of technology and grassroots-level partnerships. We join forces with governments, private agencies and, most importantly, rural communities themselves to co-create digital solutions that are of the community and for the community. In Ethiopia, Digital Green is working in four regions (Amhara, Oromia, Tigray, SNNP) promoting video-enabled extension approach in partnership with the Ministry of Agriculture and Regional Bureaus of Agriculture and Natural Resource. For more information, please visit Digital Green’s website: http://www.digitalgreen.org .
Digital Green is entering an exciting phase of development as it expands its digital technologies, thematic areas and geographies. As part of this expansion, Digital Green is building a team of exceptional individuals with a passion for finding solutions to pressing development problems, a curiosity about complex issues facing the rural poor, and a drive to tell our story. This is an exciting opportunity to join Digital Green’s growing team in Ethiopia, supporting our ongoing and new development programs.
The job holder directly reports to the Country Director and the Global Director for HR and Talent with a dotted line. This role serves as a member of the Ethiopia Leadership Group (ELG). S/he is responsible for developing and implementing the HR strategy and talent management priorities of the organization. The job holder is responsible for overseeing all Digital Green Ethiopia’s (DGE’s) HR operations including; talent management, employee relations, staffing process, and organizational effectiveness.
To implement Digital Green’s HR policies and procedures and ensure that the existing and future human capital development needs of the organization are effectively met.
Staffing & On-boarding
- Develop and oversee the implementation of immediate and long-term staffing process and strategy in partnership with DGE leadership.
- On the basis of strategic and operational plans of the organization, and in close collaboration with respective line units, assess and determine the staffing needs of the organization
- Coordinate and manage staff recruitment and selection process using Digital Green’s Applicant Tracking System as per DGE’s human resources management policies, rules and regulations.
- Oversee and improve the development of job descriptions and implementation of interview process, keeping in mind current and future needs of DGE and feedback from managers and employees.
- Ensure that offer recommendations are competitive and aligned with compensation & benefits strategy of Digital Green.
- Actively participate in the selection and offer process for key hires.
- Enhance the current onboarding process by leveraging HR systems with an eye towards reducing manual processes and creating consistency
- Oversee staff onboarding processes in partnership with the relevant DGE unit heads and ensure timely completion.
HR Operations and Employee Relations
- Design, oversee implementation, in partnership with leadership and other functions like Finance and Administration.
- Administer key HR Systems such as the HR Information System (HRIS), Performance Management System (PMS), Applicant Tracking System (ATS), and Timesheet Management System (TMS) to ensure the accurate collection, maintenance and management of staffing data
- Develop and continuously refresh HR guidelines to ensure compliance with labor law and oversee its communication in partnership with DGE leadership.
- Implement HR operations processes related to, employee exit process and interview, HR document management etc.
- Partner with leadership and legal counsel on complex employee relations matters and investigations to ensure resolution of cases in the best interest of the organization.
- Develop and oversee implementation of an effective performance management and feedback process in partnership with DGE leadership.
- Partner with DG leadership to design and oversee execution on talent management strategies, including workforce planning, building succession plans, and identification and prioritization of current and future talent requirements.
- Proactively partner with DGE leadership to identify and implement learning & development solutions that address key talent and capability gaps in a timely manner
- Oversee and guide training needs assessments and staff development activities of the organization in collaboration with all work units and regional programs of DGE
- Build and grow personnel at DGE. Coach and develop talent to ensure they can build meaningful careers in the organization.
- Develop and review key HR metrics and use the insights to build DGE’s HR priorities, positive workplace health, desired organization culture, and effective HR solutions in partnership with DGE leadership.
- Manage the Ethiopia HR rhythm of the business calendar to ensure timely completion of recurring HR processes and key activities such as Mid-Year Reviews, Year-End Reviews, Compensation adjustments, Benefits Renewal, Internal HR Audit, etc.
- Proactively consult with DGE leadership on change management approach and support organizational change activity.
- Develop and oversee execution on compensation & benefits approach and rewards practices that drive desired performance results and staff motivation.
- Collect and analyze data for key HR metrics such as attrition, hiring, compensation, gender balance, etc. on a quarterly basis and present any key findings and recommendations to the ELG
- Liaise with the government pension fund managing authority, and have all staff registered by the authority.
Managerial/ Leadership Roles
- Manage the Operations Officer’s day to day operations and overall performance within the given job description
- Ensure optimum utilization of DGE’s human, material and financial resources in all aspects of team operations
- Determine individual and team goals with employees, assess performance, provide regular feedback, and reinforce performance expectations.
- Create a supportive culture for career and personal development
- Provide strategic leadership as a member of the Ethiopia Leadership Group (ELG) of Digital Green, in his/her designated functional area.
- Contribute to Digital Green’s Global HR strategy by representing the Ethiopian team, actively participating in the development of trainings, activities, and processes and ensuring the effective implementation of the global strategic initiatives in country
- Provide thought leadership within the global internal operations function and support in the development of global initiatives that align with Digital Green’s annual plan
Qualification and Experience
- Masters or higher degree in HR, Psychology, Business Administration, Management. Organization development (OD) certifications will be an advantage.
- Minimum 8-10 years of human resources management experience in global, multi-national organization.
- Experience using online HR systems and technologies preferred
- Experience working with global teams using online communication and collaboration tools preferred
- Experience in the NGO /non-profit sector will be preferred.
- Experience with organizational design and workforce planning.
Knowledge & Skills
- Subject matter expertise in one or two areas in the development sector (agriculture, community health etc.)
- Basic knowledge of using internet/cloud applications, MS word, MS PowerPoint, etc.
- Strong skills for using data analysis tools like Microsoft Excel.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English is a must. Knowledge of any other language prevalent in the location for role will be preferred.