The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organisation of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Head of Division, Information Society
Requisition ID: 704
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Organization: African Union Commission – AUC
Reports to: Director, Infrastructure and Energy
Directorate/Department : Infrastructure and Energy
Division: Information Society
Number of Direct Reports: 6
Number of Indirect Reports: 0
Job Grade: P5
Contract Type: Regular
Purpose of Job
- Directs and manages the daily operations of the Information Society Division in order to achieve the strategic objectives of the directorate and the AU’s overall goals.
- Designs and implements policies, programs and projects to achieve the directorate’s strategic objectives.
- Manages and supervises employees within the division, ensures the timely delivery of the directorate’s goals and effective staff performance evaluation;
- Designs policies, strategies and programs to contribute to the effective implementation of relevant AU Policy Organs Decisions;
- Ensures the delivery of the division’s annual targets in line with the directorate’s overall goals and ensures robust and timely monitoring and reporting;
- Provides technical leadership and ensures efficient functioning of all Units within the Division
- Manages the work of the Division and supervises direct reports to ensure their effective performance in line with the organization’s performance management policy and system;
- Engages stakeholders within Members States and Regional Economic Communities (RECs)/Regional Mechanisms(RMs) and relevant international organisations in designing and implementing strategies.
- Maintains thematic partnerships in support of the mandate of the Division;
- Maintains regular working relations with senior stakeholders in Member States and partner institutions in the execution of the Division’s mandate.
- Represents the organisation and communicates its position at conferences.
- Contributes to the preparation of periodic financial and budget execution reports and monitor budget execution at division level.
- Ensures the effective management of funds contributed to the organization;
- Manages risk within the division and recommends mitigation strategies
- Contributes to the development of the departmental business continuity plan and ensures implementation at division level
- Maintains a positive work environment that facilitates collaboration and information sharing and is conducive to attracting, retaining, and motivating diverse talent.
- Designs appropriate policies, strategies and programs for the development of Communication and Information Technologies (CIT) in Africa: including ICT, Telecommunications, Radio- Communication, Spectrum, Broadcasting Technologies, Postal Services and Domain Name Systems;
- Promotes and supports Digitalization and Digital Transformations in/of the continent by mainstreaming and integrating ICT for wide use within all socio-development sectors specifically, in Education, Health, Agriculture, Trade, Economy, Environment and Government services;
- Develops and Promoting cybersecurity and Personal Data Protection culture, strategies and Programs at the national, regional and Continental levels;
- Elaborates, coordinate and supports implementation of strategies and programs for the harmonization of CIT policies and regulatory frameworks and Programs in Africa;
- Coordinates and facilitates effective harmonization of the CIT and technological activities at sub-regional and regional levels, in collaboration with RECs and Specialized institutions (SI) within Agenda 2063 and NEPAD strategic visions;
- Promotes the development of Internet, African Domain Name Systems, African Digital platforms and African Internet Exchange Systems;
- Coordinates and follows-up the working relationship between the AU and other partners in the fields, like UN agencies, NGOs, other regional centers, etc.;
- Increases awareness among Member States on the issue of ICT and work towards harmonization of ICT policies among Member States;
- Pays attention to the issue of traditional technologies through seminars, workshops and training programs;
- Manages Human and financial resources of the Division including budget preparation and staff appraisals;
- Prepares and Organizes meetings of the Sectoral Specialized Technical Committee(STC) and it its subcommittees and working Groups;
- Sets Monitoring Evaluation Systems for the implementation of Policies, Regulatory frameworks and program of the sector;
- Sets coordination mechanism with RECs, Specialized Institutions and other AUC departments on issues of the sector.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- A Master’s Degree in Telecommunications/ICT, Computer Science, Information Technologies or related fields with twelve (12) years of relevant work experience of which seven (7) years at managerial level and five (5) years at supervisory level.
- Leadership and management skills
- Communication, report writing and presentation skills
- Research and analytical skills
- Interpersonal and negotiation skills
- Ability to work in teams and in a multi-cultural environment
- Knowledge in international educational reforms and strategies
- Knowledge and working understanding of AU policies, systems and standards
- Planning, Budgeting and Organization skills.
- Proficiency in one of the AU official working languages; fluency in another AU language(s) is an added advantage.
- Strategic Perspective
- Developing Others
- Change Management
- Managing Risk
- Building relationships
- Foster Accountability Culture
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating with impact
- Conceptual thinking
- Job Knowledge and information sharing
- Drive for result
- Fosters Innovation
Tenure of Appointment
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- Indicative basic salary of US$ 50,746.00 (P5 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment ( 46% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 26,208.00 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Application Closing Date
13th August, 2021.