Plan International is a rights-based development and humanitarian organization working for better lives for all children. We are independent of government and have no political or religious affiliation. Our purpose is to strive for a just world that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We have been building powerful partnerships for children for more than 80 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries.
Our global strategy has a specific focus on girls, as they are often the most marginalized and most often left behind. We have committed ourselves to the ambitious target of reaching 100 million girls over 5 years, to ensure they can learn, lead, decide and thrive. This is our contribution to reaching the sustainable development goals, and in particular the goals on gender equality. Our organization is transforming itself to meet this enormous challenge everywhere we work. We need bold, forward-thinking and innovative individuals to lead our country operations, driving change and delivering results that will allow us to reach our target of 100 million girls.
In Ethiopia, Plan has more than 25 years of experience in implementing its programme. Currently PIE mainly operates in seven geographical areas; Amhara, Oromia, SNNPR, Gambella, Benishangul Gumuz, Afar, and Addis Ababa City Administration on different projects funded by different donors including sponsorship.
Plan International Ethiopia’s main purpose is to seek Gender Justice for Girls, Adolescent Girls, and Young Women. We aim to help create an enabling environment where girls, adolescent girls, and young women are safe, valued, equally cared for, and have equal opportunities. PIE will contribute to the global strategy by aiming to reach directly 2.1 million Girls, Adolescent Girls and Young Women over the period of the strategy 2020-2024 and to reach an additional 6.3 million beneficiaries through its interventions.
The position holder will be responsible to support the implementation of the PIE’s strategy by leading and making the department to give effective and efficient programme support services, which include; Developing Logistics and Procurement systems and procedures, Conducting market research for items availability and price, Budgeting and Costing different supplies, Managing Procurement Contracts, Analysing Field and Office location decisions, Managing Fleet and transport service, Managing Suppliers relations, and Ensuring compliance to Procurement systems and procedures in the organization. In addition, the post holder is responsible for implementing innovative and effective use of ICT resources in Plan’s work at the CO & PAs to make program delivery effective.
management scope, reporting lines, key relationships
Reports to: Ethiopia, Operations Director
· Procurement Manager
· Supply Chain and Admin Manager
· Supply Chain and Admin Specialist
· ICT Manager
Internal: The job holder has a close working relationship internally with the following departments and/or functions:
· Strong working relationship with all Department Heads, PAMs and ERMs as well as Country Leadership Team in specific and broader Plan Ethiopia staff in general
· Providing technical guidance and direction to Field based Supply Chain, Admin and ICT Team through matrix relationship
· Strong collaboration with regional and GH Technical team on Supply Chain, Admin and ICT matters
External: The job holder has a close working relationship externally with the following departments and/or functions:
· Vendors: Fostering strong and strategic relationship in their engagement with PIE
· Likeminded NGOs and UN Agencies in building network, addressing common issues, as well as experience sharing
· Other Private and Government Offices in addressing issues related with Supply Chain, Administration and ICT
Level of contact with children
· Low contact: No contact or very low frequency of interaction
· The position is typical office environment
Accountabilities and MAIN WORK ACTIVITIES
Strategic Leadership and Implementation (30%)
· Develop Supply Chain, Admin and ICT strategy and operational plan aligned to PIE’s five years country strategic plan
· Develop/ Adopt/ Review systems and procedures related to Supply Chain, Admin and ICT services throughout Plan Ethiopia.
· Identify, manage and mitigate risk including fraud and corruption
· Contribute to the broader departmental leadership as part of the department’s management team
· Provide productive input in the development and/or review of Supply Chain Strategy at GH or regional level as may be required
· Ensure departmental risks are identified, mitigated and managed adequately including fraud and corruption
· Lead the preparation of project specific supply plans and annual logistic plans of the Country Office in conjunction with all stakeholders (department heads, CMT) and reports about progress.
Management and Oversight (30%)
· Ensure the department’s operation is conducted in line with the organization policies, procedures and standards as well as donor rules and regulations
· Ensure policies and procedures are adequately rolled out
· Ensure training and capacity building is provided to PIE staff and Local Partners
· Ensure there are adequate control mechanism for Supply Chain, Admin and ICT operations including periodical compliance check in order to
(a) Identify weaknesses in the CO Supply Chain, Admin and ICT Department
(b) Monitoring compliance to the Operations Manual and other policies, procedure and donor regulations
(c) Making recommendations for improvements
(d) Institutionalization of recommended improvements
· Ensue audit actions are followed up and implemented timely
· Define, implement and monitor operational KPIs for assigned areas
· Produce periodical quality reporting and analysis
· Review and approve the departmental procurement plan and stock replenishment strategies proposed.
· Lead the preparation of departmental budget at the end of the financial year and submit the same to the Operation director and Finance department.
· Monitor the departmental budgets spend and support programme managers in avoiding under or over spending due to procurement and other logistics activities.
· Guide and endorse the organization’s Fixed Assets and Stock replacement/ disposal yearly plan.
· Produce weekly and monthly updates to management on major issues in the department as and when required
· Produces the quarterly report on Supply Chain and administration for submission to the Country Director and Regional office on time.
· Ensure quarterly reports on logs and admin including environment reports are done to the regional office and IH and share learning.
· Lead and ensure Plan Ethiopia is effectively supported administratively with general office needs, which includes work permits to international staff, lease agreements for offices, maintenance and operation of the office is taken care effectively, and other admin tasks.
· Monitor departmental performance and take actions when needed so that objectives are met (either continuously or on time when relevant)
Team Management (15%)
· Recruit, grow and retain staff, performance management, including coaching, monitoring, capacity building, creating positive and enabling working environment
· Initiate and lead different capacity development initiatives to the staff members including best practice and experience sharing
· Create a positive working environment in which continuous improvement, service-mindedness, transparency and open communications are key values.
· Supervise and manage performance of direct reportee.
Safeguarding Children and Young People (Safeguarding) and Gender Equality and Inclusion (GEI)
· Understands and puts into practice the responsibilities under Safeguarding and GEI policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), ensuring that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.
· Ensures that all staff in the unit/function/department are properly inducted on and understands their role in upholding Plan International’s safeguarding and GEI policies;
· Ensures that Plan International’s global policies for Safeguarding Children and Young People and Gender Equality and Inclusion are fully embedded in day to day work.
· Ensures that Plan Ethiopia contributes to Plan International’s global efforts to ensure safeguarding and GEI, including making sure that relevant reporting and data are submitted.
Leadership and BUSINESS management COMPETENCIES
· Set and communicate ambitious but realistic work goals and priorities, explaining how these contribute to Plan International’s purpose.
· Set high standards for self and others’ behavior, inside and outside work. Championing our values and commitment to rights, gender equality and safeguarding. Supporting the health, well-being and both physical and psychological safety of our staff, including their safety to speak out.
· Hold self and others to account for what we have agreed, dealing with poor performance quickly, firmly and constructively.
· Create a positive team spirit, helping people work well together, to reflect and continuously improve the efficiency and quality of what we do.
· Collaborate with team members, colleagues and partners in finding creative solutions to problems by sharing information, experience and ideas and actively seeking their input.
· Motivate and developing others by taking an interest, giving constructive feedback and praise, ensuring they are properly trained and helping them develop their potential.
· Accept change and support others in adjusting to it, helping them understand.
· Understand relevant sectoral context including how the sector operates in terms of funding and governance and awareness of Plan’s purpose, values, and global strategy
· Manage legal and reputational risk including risk assessment, communication, risk management and reporting in full compliance with risk-related standards, including in areas such as Gender equality and inclusion, Counter Fraud, Safety and Security
· Manage activities and resources including skills in strategic thinking, planning and organising, financial planning and monitoring, negotiation and programme and project management
· Manage people and information including skills in assessment and coaching, evidence-based management, communication skills, both speaking and writing, and digital working, including personal digital skills
Technical expertise, skills and knowledge
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Qualifications/ Experience Essential:
· Education at Master’s degree level or equivalent vocational study in fields such as Logistics, Supply Chain Management Business Administration, Management
· Significant practical experience of with minimum of 10 years of relevant work experience (5 years of which must be in a supervisory position with senior management responsibility)
Qualifications/ Experience Desirable:
· Certification in Supply Chain Management
· Certification in ICT
· Training and capacity building would be an advantage
· Experience in international supply chains and custom regulations would be an advantage
· Knowledge of the humanitarian sector trends and constraints would be an advantage
· Fluency in English language is essential
· Knowledge of Local Languages is a desirable
· Thrives in a fast-paced, collaborative environment.
· Results and solutions focused.
· Understands market dynamics as well as the legal and regulatory landscape.
· Confident, articulate and able to influence at all levels with exceptional leadership, communication and interpersonal skills
· Strong working knowledge of supply chain management principles, ERP
· Senior level supply chain and logistics experience with a track record of operational service level and efficiency improvement
· Proven ability to lead and manage complex projects within timeline and budgetary constraints across functional areas
· Strong decision making skills
· Strong analytical skills and excellent judgment
· Proven leadership skills in building and managing large teams
· Excellent analytical and negotiation skills are required.
Plan International’s Values in Practice
We are open and accountable
We create a climate of trust inside and outside the organisation by being open, honest and transparent. We hold ourselves and others to account for the decisions we make and for our impact on others, while doing what we say we will do.
We strive for lasting impact
We strive to achieve significant and lasting impact on the lives of children and young people, and to secure equality for girls. We challenge ourselves to be bold, courageous, responsive, focused and innovative.
We work well together
We succeed by working effectively with others, inside and outside the organisation, including our sponsors and donors. We actively support our colleagues, helping them to achieve their goals. We come together to create and implement solutions in our teams, across Plan International, with children, girls, young people, communities and our partners.
We are inclusive and empowering
We respect all people, appreciate differences and challenge inequality in our programmes and our workplace. We support children, girls and young people to increase their confidence and to change their own lives. We empower our staff to give their best and develop their potential.