Given the increasing demand and need for dedicated health emergencies technical support and field-level coordination, UNICEF Assosa Field Office (FO) has been trying its best to provide the required supports. But the available human resource (one health program officer) at the regional level has not been enough to reach out and provide the required continuous technical support at field level. The extent of the emergency situation in two of the three zones of the region needs impacted by existing capacity gaps especially at zone and woreda level requires further monitoring, technical support, and guidance in responding to the emergency situation timely and appropriately.
In addition to the regional level coordination, similar coordination mech-anisms are to be established at zonal and woreda levels. The establishment of these coordination mechanisms requires the support of technical expertise in area of health in emergencies and this will ensure continued monitoring of the situation and on-going response. Dedicated health in Emergencies Consultant is therefore required to provide the required field level support. This will help to provide technical support to the implementation quality high impact and cost effective interventions, monitoring, and rep.orting of UNICEF's health program response while strengthening the strategic link to ongoing development programming.
Under the guidance and supervision of the Health program officer in UNICEF Assosa FO, and with technical guidance from the section at CO, the incumbent is responsible for the following key areas in the assigned zones and woredas:
• Provide technical assistance on local Emergency situational assessment
• Assist on district-level EPRP preparation
• Provide technical support for the implementation, monitoring, and reporting of health in emergency programs, health component of the UNICEF regional emergency response plan and ensuring that interventions included in health priority focus areas are implemented, monitored and managed in a timely and effective manner.
• Based on needs assessment, support and facilitate capacity building training of zonal/woreda and health facility workers on different health topics as needed. Provide technical support for the adherence of government and non-government implementing partners to relevant standards and guidelines.
• Conduct a continuous assessment of the occurrence of outbreaks in the woredas focusing epidemic-prone, communicable diseases and support the conduct of immediate investigation and response;
• Support the preparation, implementation quality measles campaign with very good coverage, monitoring, and reporting of any AEFI in the selected high-risk woredas of the two zones;
• Ensure the availability of essential health commodities and supplies and the requesting, and reporting regularly
• Ensure accurate and timely reporting requirements from zones and woredas are met and systematic coordination of appropriate health in the emergency operational response plan, with other relevant t sectors, especially nutrition and WASH.
• Compile accurate and timely emergency-related data from HFs, woreda, and zones and share to the field office on a weekly basis to incorporate on regional Sitrep, for monitoring progress,
• Provide support for the reactivation/ establishment of zonal and woreda level coordination mechanisms for effective implementation of emergency health interventions at zone, woreda and site level.
• Participate in the regional, zonal and woreda level !DP/returnee emergency response related meetings and share minutes of such meetings with UNICEF Benishangul Gumuz FO.
• Support the regional, zonal and woreda level information management including collecting, analyzing, and reporting of health situation and response interventions.
• Monitor the coverage of zonal and woreda level health activities and recommendations for corrective actions to be taken in a timely manner.
• Undertake other relevant tasks as directed by her/ his supervisor and assist with other duties in support of the UNICEF Child Protection programs in Benishangul FO.
- An advanced university degree in the field of public health or extensive work experience relevant to health in both development and emergency contexts;
- At least 2 years progressively responsible humanitarian and development work experience in health including in emergencies with UN Agencies and/or INGOs.
- Previous experience in health program coordination.
- Familiarity and experience working with government counterparts in Benishangul Gumuz
- Strong knowledge and experience in establishing coordination architecture especially at zone and woreda levels.
- Fluency in written and verbal English required.
How to Apply
Qualified and interested applicants who fulfill the above requirements can submit their CV along with application letter through the ethiojobs portal or email to [email protected] by stating the position you are applying on the subject email. Those who prefer to apply in person may submit a CV along with supporting documents to our head office located on Bole road, Behind DH Geda Tower.
For more information, please call at +251 11618 65 20