The scope of the Hygiene Promotion officer includes but not limited to working on ensuring of the charity: water Community-led WASH Interventions project through Participatory Learning and Action (PLA) approach, supervising of the implementation of community action plan, strengthen school WASH club, organizing of community mass sensitization campaign, crafting and developing of IEC/BCC materials, coordinating qualitative and quantitative survey, accurately handle the budget allocated for the charity water Community-led WASH Intervention project and accurately lead the Environmental Health Agents.
- Serve as the focal point for all HP activities in the assigned woreda
- Conduct a community assessment; support implementation of PLA in reviewing of the CAP and follow up the accurate execution of the action plan
- Conduct assessments, planning, organizing, implementation, monitoring and assessment of the community HP activity and school hygiene activity programs in the project areas;
- Directly Follow and provide support to staffs under supervision and the Environmental Health Agents who base at kebele level.
- Conduct/participate the appropriate Environmental Health (EH) Knowledge, Practice and coverage (KPC) surveys during survey design, data collection, data entry, analysis and reporting in order to handle and evaluate the impact of EH and hygiene promotion activities
- Facilitate in the selection, designing, pre-testing, developing, dissemination and evaluation of appropriate hygiene informative materials for effective hygiene promotion program;
- Support in promoting field tested and practical community participatory approaches and techniques for improving hygienic behavior, sanitation improvements, and community management of water, Sanitation and Hygiene facilities;
- Facilitate periodic meetings and integrating community with WUA and school WASH club on regular bases.
- Provide information on technical problems of water systems & feedbacks to the technical team on time.
- Ensure community participation in various activities and suggest the best experiences on managing/ operate & maintain their water system.
- Work along with other HP team and Environmental Health Officer to build linkage with other activities by incorporating the out puts from PLA process.
- Ensure accurate hand over of water schemes to the water committee and respective Woreda water offices
- Ensure accurate compilation and maintain training materials for users.
- Ensure that active community mobilization and participation in both water and hygiene sanitation community action plan was shown by using different community approaches and networking system
- Provide support for Hard ware team and work in coordination with the EH officers other team during the implementation.
- Ensure the project resources including the construction materials in all kebeles of the intervention woreda are well supervised and accurately used for the project purpose without any abuse and submit the material utilization report of the woreda to the project manager, in every two weeks
- Make sure that Capacity Building Assistants and EHAs have been performing their tasks per their key Goal setting and play mentorship role by providing consistent feed backs in regular base
- Ensure all the community action plans and the HP activities are implemented by the whole community in the intervention areas of the respective woreda
- Prepared and submit success story of the project including with good picture monthly based
Reports and Proposals:
- Prepare a monthly progress report and weekly update and submit to supervisor as per the reporting time scheduled
- Coordinate and ensure the documentation of every HP activities formative assessments, KPC survey and capacity building activities both in hard and soft copies supported by pictures.
- Make sure the EHAs maintain accurate documentation of the PLA output, success stories, standard methodologies, in their respective areas.
- Facilitate in documenting health related data and keep records on activities of activities including sanitary inventory per kebele, list of beneficiary, community participations and contributions and the like.
- Facilitate in coordinating trainings and workshops for the administrative partners and the EHAs and coordinate in preparation and prioritizing all the required training materials;
Coordination and working relationship:
- Maintain strong working relationship with respective IRC staff and partners. Coordinate and connect with IRC staff on the ground, the water team and HP team,
- Handle the proper utilization of the allocated budget under the project and Cooperate with IRC’s supply chain and finance for effective implementation of the intended activities as per log frame of the proposal.
- Prepare spending and activity plan and share with the team and technical unit for their input.
- Support the Senior EH Manager and the direct supervisor in properly use the budget tracking tools like open and closed purchase request tracking tools, follow upping and reviewing of BVA
- prepare realistic cash projection for the planned activities, and ensure that the proper cash burring is per the cash projection
- Identify the capacity support needed to the government partners (health, water, education and other relevant), develop institutional capacity amongst partners organizations;
- Actively take part and facilitate woreda level WASH steering committee with Government and other partners working in the area
- Facilitate in working with relevant local government and non-government partners in identifying and developing appropriate hygiene promotion messages
- Work closely with the Woreda water and health offices, identify their capacity gaps & look for the development/ improvement and recommend way forward to the office
- BA/BSc or Diploma in rural development, environmental health/public health or any relevant field with participatory learning and action experience.
- At least 4 years of proven experience first degree holders and 2 years of work experience for plus post graduate
- Two years of experience for post plus graduate degree in relevant field
- Confirmed ability in facilitation of community mobilization skills, experience in PLA approach is an advantage
- Supervisory /basic managerial skill
- Technical and report writing skill
- Good communication and interpersonal skill
- Have technical background and knowledge in environmental health and proven work experience in designing and implementing of Hygiene and sanitation programs.
- Committed and strong demeanor towards community empowerment, Strong interpersonal skills with a proven record to work as a team member under difficult conditions.
How to Apply
· Please send your CV, application letter and copies of credentials to the following address: IRC, P.O.BOX 1320, Hawassa and applying directly through the below link is mandatory.
· Please include 3 references from current and former employers.
· Applications will not be returned. IRC discourages phone calls or personal visits.
· Only applicants meeting the minimum qualification will be short listed and contacted.
Your application letter/cover letter must include the following information.
· Name of the position you have applied for
· Date of application
· Summary of your qualifications and experience
· Motivation/objective of why you have applied for the job
· Permanent Address and present address (if different form permanent) and telephone number
· Disclose any family relationships with existing IRC employees.
Are any of your relatives employed by International Rescue committee (IRC)?
If answer is “yes”, give the following information:
Recruiter of the position Hawassa HR/Admin
IRC is an equal employment opportunity employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability.