People in Need is a non-governmental, non-profit organization founded on the ideals of humanism, freedom, equality and solidarity. We consider human dignity and freedom to be fundamental values. We believe that people anywhere in the world should have the right to make decisions about their lives and to share the rights expressed in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
The People in Need organization was established in 1992 by a group of Czech war correspondents who were no longer satisfied with merely relaying information about ongoing conflicts and began sending out aid. It gradually became established as a professional humanitarian organization striving to provide aid in troubled regions and support adherence to human rights around the world.
Throughout our over 26 years of its existence, People in Need has become one of the biggest non-profit organizations in Central Europe. In addition to humanitarian aid and human rights, it now also targets education and helps people living in social exclusion.
We are part of Alliance 2015, a strategic network of seven European non-governmental organizations engaged in humanitarian aid and development projects. This collaboration increases effectiveness, both in working in the target countries and in campaigns aimed at influencing the attitudes of politicians and the general public in Europe. In our over 16 years operation in Ethiopia, has focused on projects in five main areas of interest: Education and Social protection, Environment, Livelihood and Agriculture, Water, sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) and Emergency programs.
PIN currently invites applicants for the position of: HR Officer (for Emergency Projects)
Length of Contract: Definite employment contract
Required Number: 1 (one)
The Emergency HR Officer (HRO) is responsible for implementation of HR procedures and effective delivery of HR services and administration in support of PIN Ethiopia’s emergency programs. S/he applies HR policies, rules and regulations, maintains transparent HR processes (HR planning, recruitment, hiring, on-boarding and induction, evaluation and capacity development and contract termination) and ensures correct administration of the HR documentation. S/he conducts field visits in order to provide support with HR processes implementation and HR administration. Due to the fast pace of emergency programs, this position requires someone highly motivated with an ability to work quickly and multitask.
This position is directly supervised by the HR Manager and working closely with the Head of Emergencies and other senior emergency program staff.
The HR OFFICER specific tasks are:
Recruitment and hiring
- The Emergency HRO edits, adapts, formats and advertises vacancies on the website, in the newspaper, information boards, etc on the convent advertisement channel
- Collect CV’s (crosscheck with the original document, it is physical submission) and facilitate for responsible person for screening upon deadline.
- Call for shortlisted candidates and appoint them for exam and/or interview.
- Inform guards and concerned persons about exam and/or interview dates in advance.
- Book meeting room in advance, facilitate the written exam (observe candidates in exam room, collect and give to the responsible person).
- Communicates with the candidates, answers their queries, keeps them informed about miscellaneous developments;
- Archive all documents related to recruitment procedure;
- The Emergency HR Officer involves in screening of applicants and interview sessions
- Informs new employee about the necessary documents to be submitted for the employment commencement (such as copy of an ID card, criminal free paper, bank account details, guarantee, former/last organization clearance etc.)
- Maintain the database of short-listed candidates and recruitments’ outcomes.
- Make sure the new employee fulfils the necessary pre-employment document (ID, photo criminal free, guarantee, CVs, Bank information, family information for insurance etc)
- Prepare and maintain personal folder of new employment with all relevant annexes, employment contract amendments, and other hiring related documents properly.
- Scan all documents in the personal folder and uploaded to ELO.
- HR administration
- Creates and updates personal folders for each staff and ensures all documents are archived according to the Personal folder checklist (both in hard copy in personal folders and in soft copy personal files in ELO);
- Handles employees’ insurance claims; receive medical documents from employees (checking whether it complies with legal requirements; send it to insurance, collect the money and distribute to employees.
- Prepare attendance or time sheets every Friday, ensure it is signed, approved and archive them in a box file.
- Manage and Update the HR database regularly; ensure they bring required documents, fill personal data form and register them on the database upon arrival.
- Filing of HR documents to its respective folder
- Checks the employees’ pension status, register them to pension authority, notify changes of family information and salary and inform them when they leave PIN, collect pension cards form the authority and distribute.
- Check that the annual leave, sick leave and compensation leave requests and attendance sheets are approved, archive them in personal files;
- Issues and keeps updated ID cards for staff;
- updates annual, Sick and compensation leaves database, checks the balance of unused days and shared the information with the respective supervisor of the concerned employee regularly;
- Assist during staff events, team-building activities, staff meetings.
- Write letters, Memos, notes etc, scan, copy HR related document up on request form HR manager/Coordinator
- Answers HR Office phone and communicate the information in a professional manner
- Support HR manager/Coordinator during audits, reporting, organized event, court case, capacity building etc
- Assist other HR and admin related tasks of the department assigned by HR Manager/Coordinator
- Evaluation and capacity development
- Prepares documents for evaluation procedure to be carried out assigned by HR Manager/Coordinator
- Ensures that written outcomes from evaluation are confidentially archived in personal folder and file in ELO;
- Organizes and keep record trainings upon instruction from HR Manager/Coordinator
- Ensure meeting room is booked and other facilities during trainings are organized
- Prepares Induction Training Acknowledgment and ensures employee signs if relevant part of introduction successfully completed and archive the signed document in personal folder and file in ELO.
- T ermination
- Ensure termination related procedures are followed; together with other departments coordinates all clearance procedures (Finance, department, logistics, IT, finance etc);
- Facilitate clearance and other termination related tasks.
- Archives all relevant documents the personal folder and file in ELO;
- Emergency Programs
- Due to the quickly changing nature of emergency programs, the Emergency HRO must be prepared to support in the fast start-up, scale-up, transition, or shut down of emergency programs related to HR.
- This will include the need for rapid recruitment of multiple staff positions for new emergency programs and the ability to respond quickly to all changes.
- Close coordination with the other HR team members for surge support will be required.
- other assignments corresponding to actual needs of the project, program or mission up on the request of line manager/CMT member.
- Minimum Bachelor degree in Human Resource Management, Business Management/Administration, law and in other similar social science fields of study
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in Human resource.
- Experience in NGOs or Privet organizations and knowledge of Ethiopian Labor proclamation 1156/2019 will be advantageous.
- Experience of strong coordination skills
- Planning, coordination and report writing skills
- Good communication and capacity to work under stress
- ability to use Microsoft Office (Word, Excel etc
- Knowledge of spoken & written Amharic, English is advantageous
- 3 strong references (will be crosschecked)
How to Apply
Interested applicants for the position should fill the application form and send CV and the necessary documents until October 05, 2020 via following the link: Application Form HR Officer
Should any information needed please contact using: [email protected]
Please note: PIN does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing, training or any other fees).
People in Need staff are expected to perform job duties and responsibilities in accordance with People in Need Code of conduct and key policies available at: www.peopleinneed.cz/policies
Women and internal Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply.