Terms of Reference (TOR) on Situational Analysis of Ethiopia’s Urban Sanitation Market
Reports to: Director, Marketing and Communication
Based in: Addis Ababa
Duration of contract: 3 months
Remuneration: As per PSI/E Consultancy rate
Application Deadline: September 4, 2019
Who we are
We’re Population Services International (PSI), the world’s leading non‐profit social marketing organization. We work to make it easier for people in the developing world to lead healthier lives and plan the families they desire by marketing affordable products and services that range from mosquito nets to contraceptives to HIV testing. We are a $560m enterprise based in Washington, DC, operating in the private and public sectors in more than 65 countries.
There are over 9,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. It’s a diverse group of entrepreneurs and professionals with an unusually wide range of backgrounds – from the medical industry to the music business – all with unique skills we bring to the job.
PSI/Ethiopia wants reimagine healthcare, put the consumer at the center, and whenever possible, bring quality care to the front door. We achieve health impact in Ethiopia by working with both government and private partners and harvesting technology innovation to bring quality care closer to communities, schools, and homes. We empower consumers by including them in the design of healthcare solutions, offering them more healthcare choices, and helping them to have a voice in influencing national priorities. We work with all market actors in the health system to understand their needs, designing and delivering solutions so that market systems can sustainably serve consumers for the long term, helping to support the Government of Ethiopia in achieving Universal Health Coverage.
We are looking for a dynamic Situational Analysis Individual consultant that will conduct the urban sanitation situation in Addis Ababa, Mekelle, Bahirdar, Hawassa and Adama and prepare a report. The report will be used to identify market failures and inform decisions on market development approaches based on standard PSI market intervention process.
Objective of the Review
The overall objective of this consultancy is to identify the current level of urban sanitation situation that includes current status of human waste disposal, availability of government and private sector emptying, transport and disposal services, municipal human waste management plans, policies, and strategies, human waste management actors and their roles to help make practical recommendations to help fill the gap through human-centered market solutions.
- Identify current and functional actors and factors operating in human waste management in the selected cities.
- Assess the status of human waste management from containment to disposal and reuse
- Identify the demand for human waste management products and services among communities and establishments (public, private, NGOs, religious societies, etc.) in the selected cities
- Estimate the market size of urban sanitation in Ethiopia (Use / Need, Geographic demographics and population considerations)
- Assess the market through existing market information and studies (HH Sanitation Systems and Containment Systems, Emptying and Transport Service Level, Treatment, Reuse / Disposal Service Level, Financing, Government and Policy, Funding)
- Recommendation on global best practices for the problems identified
Specific Deliverables are listed below:
- A written proposal for conducting the situational analysis based on the TOR
- Detailed data collection plan and documents that the consultant reviews including the composition of the consulting team,
- Raw and secondary data used for the analysis (documents reviewed, and audiotaped records of individuals involved in the key informant interviews)
- Draft reports of the situational analysis report with an opportunity for feedback from PSI.
- Final reports on Ethiopia’s Urban Sanitation market with highly synthesized gaps and strategic direction and stakeholders mapping that includes their respective roles, challenges, strengths, and challenges with a suggestion on areas for engagement
- PowerPoint presentation slides with a key summary from the finalized and approved documents
- A list of KIIs contacted during the undertaking of the assessment with their consent to be contacted in the future if needed.
What are we looking for? The basics
- PhD / advanced degree in Public, Environmental Health or related field with six (6) of public health research experience, preferably in marketing research in primary health and related issues
- Master’s degree in Public Health, Environmental Health or related field with eight (8) of public health research experience, preferably in marketing research in primary health and related issues
- Strong knowledge of Ethiopia’s Health Sector Structure in general and Ethiopia’s Urban Sanitation market.
What would get us excited?
- Proven track record of environmental health research at least for 3 years both in areas of qualitative and quantitative designs
- Previous work on similar and/or related tasks in landscape or stakeholder’s analysis
- PSI/E expects the consultant to be engaged in this landscaping analysis should have a broader and in-depth knowledge of local contexts with a track record of producing a high-level synthesis.
- Knowledge and experience in the sanitation health area
- Closer knowledge of Ethiopia’s Urban Sanitation Market
- Proven track record of landscaping/situational analysis of public health sectors and stakeholder mapping or analysis
- Good knowledge and practice of secondary data review and synthesis
How to Apply
Are you intrigued? Apply!
By following our 3 steps application process:
1. Fill out the application form using the following link: Online Application Form . It will only take 5 to 10 minutes.
2. Send your CV and application letter to firstname.lastname@example.org clearly mark “ Application for Individual Consultant for Situational Analysis Position ” in the subject line.
3. Check your email and make sure you receive an automatic response acknowledging receipt of your application that means your application was successful. If you don’t receive the automatic response, check again your subject line and if needed, re-submit your CV and application letter with the correct subject.
Application deadline September 4, 2019 . We’ll call or e-mail you back if there is a good fit on both sides.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation or disability.