- Company: French Development Agency
- Location: Ethiopia
- State: Addis Ababa Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Accounting Jobs in Ethiopia
French Development Agency (AFD), Addis Ababa country Office, is hiring a qualified Ethiopian national to fill the position of Investment Officer:
AFD, the French bilateral donor agency (public development finance institution) has spent more than 70 years working to alleviate poverty and support economic development in more than 90 developing and emerging countries and France’s overseas territories. In 2019, AFD authorized more than EURO 14 billions of project funding worldwide.
AFD established in Ethiopia in 1993 (international calendar). AFD commitments (grants, guarantees and soft loans to the Government or Public Utilities) in Ethiopia are focused on infrastructures for urban development (water and sanitation, solid waste management, transportation and city planning), energy, economic reforms, support to SMEs, heritage and agriculture.
Reporting directly to the Head of AFD in Ethiopia, the Investment Officer (‘IO’) is based in Addis Ababa with an overall responsibility of identifying / managing / following up of a project portfolio (existing and to be developed). The projects are or will be developed with State owned enterprises and Public Banks through no-sovereign financing, which is any kind of financing to a public entity without the financial guarantee of the government, as well as through sovereign financing to support economic reforms, SMEs’ growth and financial sector reform. The IO will also be in charge of monitoring a sector, participating to sector dialog with government, national actors and international partners and of contributing to AFD strategy in the sector.
Under the supervision of the Head of AFD in Ethiopia, and in close partnership with AFD Headquarters colleagues (Paris-based), the IO responsibilities will include for instance:
- Identifying and developing a pipeline of opportunities in Ethiopia with State owned enterprises and public banks or to support government programs to finance the private sector;
- Facilitating due diligence missions on projects and liaising with the HQ and project teams along the decision-making and negotiating process including credit papers on certain occasions;
- Monitoring the existing financings in terms of signing, instalments, repayments, compliance with financial covenants and reporting requirements in collaboration with the Portfolio Department and Legal Department at the AFD HQ in Paris;
- Preparation and management of the portfolio review in collaboration with the Portfolio Department entailing in site periodic visits followed by a report;
- Participation to sector dialog and follow up of the government strategy linked with financing system, support to SMEs, reform of SOEs, and developing the private sector and the economy,
- Contribution to the definition of AFD strategy and eventual support to knowledge production or technical assistance program.
Terms of employment
- Open-ended contract of service after a 90 working days probation period / Non disclosure agreement
- Attractive salary (commensurate with level of education and working experience), and bonus
- Social benefits package (inpatient and outpatient medical care, pension fund subscribed by AFD for the employee)
- Short-term training program in Ethiopia and abroad.
Position Requirements (Knowledge, Skills And Abilities):
- Degree in finance and business (Bachelor of Arts) or similar qualification, with at least three years of relevant experience in finance positions in a reputable organization;
- Strong financial analysis, financial modelling and risk assessment ability;
- Ability to draft clear and concise reports or analytical notes;
- Strong understanding of the pros and cons of non-sovereign financing in Ethiopia.
- Ability to make sound judgement on financial accounts and on credit risk analysis;
- Good client relationship and aptitude;
- Excellent communication and writing skills in English ; knowledge of French expected
- Strong organizational skills, strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team and independently.
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills including Word and Excel