Save the Children is an exciting and dynamic organization that follows a holistic approach to achieve more for children and use its resources in an efficient and sustainable way. In every programming we aim to achieve results at scale, build partnership to influence others and increase our impact; look for innovate solutions to the problems children faces, campaign for better practice and ensure that Children’s voices are heard.
Save the Children is an organization for talented people with different backgrounds and perspectives. We are proud that our people are representative of the children we work with and we thrive on our diversity. We are an equal opportunity organization dedicated to our core values of Accountability, Ambition, Collaboration, Creativity and Integrity. Our culture is embedded in these values, along with a strong commitment to our Child Safeguarding Protocol, ensuring that all representatives of Save the Children demonstrate the highest standards of behavior towards children both in their private and professional lives.
Save the Children offers sound employment conditions with opportunities for personal growth and development. If you are interested to work in an organization that is determined to achieve dramatic change for the most vulnerable children, we encourage you to look through the job profile below
Place of Work
Kalafo, Mustahil, & Fer-Fer
Emergency Wash & Nutrition Response
Monthly Salary in ETB
As per the organization scale
No. of Positions
Length of Contract
The IYCF officer has the responsibility to ensure high quality IYCF activities, closely coordinated an integrated with CMAM program run by SCI in the same Woredas. The IYCF Officer ensures activities fit within the framework of the National Nutrition Program and ensures good relations with local stakeholders and partner in the operational area.
Reports to: Nutrition Coordinator
Staff directly reporting to this post: None
Key area of accountability:
· The incumbent will be expected to ensure that all caretakers of the beneficiaries at the distribution sites OTP and TSFP have get the IYCF counselling by the health extension workers of each program.
· Accomplish project site activities and supporting of community based groups – HDAs, mother support groups, local committees, etc
· Participate in providing IYCF technical support to Woredas, SCI and partners CMAM and IYCF staff
· Ensure that all staff understand and implement the IYCF program guidelines
· Ensure appropriate and consistent education messaging to mothers (at PHC, Hospitals, HCs and community levels)
· Advise the best feeding options/ practices and follow ups as appropriate
· Participate in the development of mother support groups and mother-baby areas.
· Participate in developing regular work plans for the HWS, HEWs, CMAM officer, HDAs, mother support etc.
· Spot and address appropriately the violations of the code of marketing of breast-milk substitutes and violations of the MOH guidelines
· The position holder will be expected ensures the availability of teaching aid and IEC materials for program implementation
· Act as an effective member in promoting, supporting and protecting IYCF practices (give IYCF awareness sessions and IYCF individual counseling sessions as necessary).
· Give support to CMAM team members as necessary
· Ensure that IYCF tools are properly utilized and documented; prepare IYCF reports regularly and submit to project coordinators
· Link between CMAM team and IYCF team (such as promoting excellent communication and referral between IYCF counselor, IYCF educator and CMAM)
· Assist in the development and review of educational material(IEC /BCC)
· Prepare training materials and conduct IYCF trainings when necessary
· With support from M & E officer, Make sure all IYCF records are regularly filled and submitted (awareness sessions, database of counselled cases, etc.)
· Liaise with ZHO, WHO, and Health facilities and ensure the quality of IYCF/Nutrition capacity building activities are technically sound, aligned with proposed implementation plan and adhere to standard guidelines;
· Provide mothers with practical advice on correct attachment and positioning when breastfeeding, timely introduction of complementary foods and respond to any concerns or local taboos associated with IYCF
· Upholds the image and values of SC at all times
· Assure the availability of IYCF training and counselling materials prior to any training;
· Support community assessments related to CMAM & IYCF and strengthen capacity of various health, agriculture, and other sectors’ front line workers to improve the quality of nutrition intervention
· Along with other SCI & partner staffs, conduct regular follow up site visits to provide support quality implementation, and document field all through submission of complete, accurate and timely feedback reports;
· Ensure IYCF indicator well captured and adhere to the national protocol guideline by CMAM team.
· Make sure that Mothers are counselled with the resource available at HH and proper understand
· Make sure that Mother who need special counselling are identified , linked and followed well for behaviour change
· Support the mothers suffering from insufficient milk production with advice on re-lactation
· Perform other extra duties as required
BEHAVIOURS (Values in Practice )
· holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
· Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
· Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
· widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
· Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
· Builds and maintains effective relationships, with his/her team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
· Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
· Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
· Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
· Willing to take disciplined risks.
· Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
· Bachelors or equivalent degree in Human Nutrition, Midwifery, Public Health, or similar fields
· Minimum 4 years field experience in humanitarian work, including significant experience in managing CMAM & IYCF programs
· Substantial experience of community-based nutrition projects
· Demonstrated ability for leadership and independent decision making
· Strong interpersonal skills & excellent team player
· Willingness and ability to work in hardship environment
· Cultural and gender sensitivity
· Knowledge of the local language is Mandatory
How to Apply
Interested applicants who met the MINIMUM requirements should send the following through email@example.com .on or before 25 April, 2019
a. A CV (not more than 3 pages)
b. A cover letter (not more than one page)
c. A one-page table summarizing your educational background, work experience, technical skills and competencies to facilitate the screening process. Refer the vacancy announcement while doing this.
Please DO NOT SUBMIT copies of transcripts, academic degrees or recommendation letters with the application . You will provide them upon request.
PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU STATE THE CODE OF THE VACANCY ON THE SUBJECT OF YOUR EMAIL . All applications should be received within 5 days of this advertisement.
Save the Children is committed to ensuring that all our personnel and programmes are absolutely safe for children. We undertake rigorous procedures during the recruitment process including background checks to ensure that only people suitable to work with children are allowed to join our organisation and all candidates will therefore be subject to this scrutiny.
In the selection of its staff, Save the Children is committed to gender balance and diversity without distinction as to race, sex or religion, and without discrimination of persons with disabilities.
Note: All travel costs should be covered by the applicant if invited for written exam or interview.