EXTERNAL VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organization whose exclusively humanitarian mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of armed conflict and other situations of violence and to provide them with assistance.
For more information, visit the website: https://www.icrc.org/
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) Delegation in Ethiopia is looking to hire an experienced, highly motivated, and qualified person to fill:
Position: Legal Adviser 2
Duration of Contract: Open – ended contract
Location: Addis Ababa
Date of Issue: 11.10.2021
Deadline for applications: 21.10.2021
To ensure the work of the General Prevention and Cooperation department is managed efficiently and effectively in line with an established guideline. You will need to be an enthusiastic, flexible, committed, and resourceful colleague who can support the Manager to lead the team. The successful candidate will need to deliver to a high standard, be resilient, and have a positive “can-do” attitude.
GENERAL ICRC DUTIES
- Understands and adheres to the seven Fundamental Principles of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement.
- Understands and adheres to the ICRC Code of Conduct.
- Understands the roles of the components of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement.
- Respects and observes staff regulations and security rules at all times.
- Represents the ICRC in a professional manner at all times.
- Develops and maintains a pleasant and conducive working environment with colleagues and line managers.
- Performs all duties with the highest level of confidentiality in the interest of the employees and the ICRC.
- May be asked to perform tasks not covered in this job description and to provide support to other departments when necessary.
ACCOUNTABILITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. SPECIFIC ACTIVITIES
Under the supervision of the Operational Legal Adviser, s/he carries out the following activities:
- Organization of seminars and dissemination sessions.
- Organizes, plans and implements autonomously dissemination programmes and expert roundtables, especially on IHL and IHL-related topics, for political authorities and academic circles.
- Develops and activities for the promotion of IHL amongst authorities in academic circles in Ethiopia.
Networking/Legal advisory function
- Develops and maintains a good network of interlocutors from political authorities, such as MFA, MoJ, Federal Parliament, Judiciary, relevant regional authorities and academic circles.
- Updates regularly the list of his interlocutors.
- Keeps updated about the dissemination material available at ICRC level and is able to adapt distinct messages according to the target audience.
- Works in close collaboration with the ICRC’s strategic partner, the ERCS for its involvement in all dissemination activities.
Operational legal advice
- Analysis of national laws.
- Studies and analyses relevant national legislation that is related security and detention issues, humanitarian issues, human rights and IHL, civil society organizations and updates ICRC-related databases in this matter.
- Advises the ICRC staff associated with protection activities on all legal issues that may be referred for clarification from time to time regarding detention, RFL, displacement, etc.
- Support to other units and activities.
- Supports other departments by making presentations on IHL-HR issues whenever required.
2. OFFICE ACTIVITIES:
- Prepares and submits reports of activities conducted/participated in a timely manner, including minutes of workshops and meetings.
- Provides contributions to specific reports (field mission reports; MoM; short analytical papers).
- Updates on a regular bases ICRC IHL databases on National Implementation and Customary Law.
Administration – Finance
- Ensures necessary administrative work is implemented on time.
- Knows, applies and complies with all the administrative procedures linked to his work (financial forecast, Time reporting, budget follow up, …etc).
- Keeps files up-to-date at all times.
Interpretation – Translation
- Interprets accurately from English to National language and vice versa during field visits and otherwise, as required.
- Translates documents from English to National language and vice versa as required.
- Adapts his/her behavior to various interlocutors.
Treatment of information
- Registers and treats information (general and specific) accurately and with confidentially.
- Follows up on all work-related messages and correspondence with the relevant contacts and departments.
- Is aware of the delegation’s objectives and has a good knowledge of the Movement and other contracts relevant to the position.
- Collects and shares information so as to improve the ICRC’s understanding of the environment and humanitarian trends and responses.
- Takes responsibility for their own professional learning and development.
- Experience in communicating and working with a wide range of people, including people of culturally diverse backgrounds.
ICRC Remuneration and Social Benefits: We offer
- By joining our organization, you will have an opportunity to practice your profession in stimulating, complex, and sometimes challenging environments, where your work can make a difference.
- You will work with colleagues from various fields of expertise in a cross-cutting manner to help victims of conflict and other situations of violence. You will be dealing with humanitarian situations that require experience, resourcefulness, and innovation to achieve the best possible impact.
- You will work for the oldest major international humanitarian organization in the world, adding to your sense of achievement in alleviating the suffering of people and communities and giving you the chance to promote humanitarian values in these turbulent times.
- You will benefit from a competitive employment package, including different possibilities for career and personal development. You will take part in an onboarding course and follow continuous training, to build your career within the ICRC and beyond.
- The competitive compensation package, a monthly salary with benefits including (13th salary, end of service indemnity, and medical coverage).
- Master’s degree in public international law specifically in International Humanitarian Law and Human Rights Law.
- 4-5 years’ work experience in similar function.
- Very good network with government, international and civic organization that work on issues related to humanitarian and human rights law.
- Very good knowledge of academic discussions regarding legal developments and challenges related to existing armed conflicts in the region or worldwide.
- Very good command of spoken & written English and Amharic.
- Very good computer skills.
- 3rd grade driving license.
How to Apply
You can submit application & CV with copies of relevant documents in person to the ICRC Delegation in Addis Ababa (Around Megenagna, in front of EIAR, around Egziabher ab church OR , send to the ICRC Delegation Addis Ababa, Human Resources Department, P.O.Box 5701, Addis Ababa).
- Updated Curriculum Vitae.
- A cover letter stating why you think you have the necessary skills and qualifications.
- Salary expectations.
As ICRC, we are convinced that diversity makes us better at what we do: it enables us to form close relationships with wide-ranging communities and develop the best solutions for the people we work with. We make a conscious effort to have diverse teams with regards to age, disability, race, ethnicity, religion, and sexual orientation and particularly in terms of gender as women make up a high percentage of our staff and are encouraged to apply.
The successful candidate will submit to 60 working days as a probation period.
NB: If you have not heard from us within a month of receiving your application, please consider your application unsuccessful.